DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So how do you guys go about making kick panel fit different drivers in case I wanted to change out in the future? I know I will. Concerned with overall diameter and mounting pattern. Enlighten me please!

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
fits two drivers. The largest home theater tweeter you can find (something like an air circ) and then a standard 7" driver like the tangband or dayton RS.

Between those two you'll fit just about anything short of a 5" plus midbass or genesis studio mid plus midbass. Make the tweeter cutout a little oversized (say, for a scan 12M and 7" driver) and you should be covered for a 4" mid or studio mid too. about 4.5" OD

MDF baffle, you can always make it a little larger by using a 30-60 grit flapper.

new drivers means a rotated bolt pattern so you are always using a new spot on the MDF. standard carpet for a gasket as it tends to hold up better than weatherstrip.

deep recesses are best in case you want to use a spacer and maintain the use of a grille. Best to make the grille universal so driver changes don't require construction, unless by reducer plate.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Do enlighten.
build the kick so the front of it is a single flat baffle, kinda 'tear drop' shaped (mid/tweet), then you can make several baffles the same size and try different drivers in each baffle, baffle is easy to change as it mounts directly to your custom kicks with 4/6 screws/bolts?.

i sat in a very sexy car at marvs bbq that was implementing this design 'on' teh dash.

not my idea.

but if its good enough for the ' #[email protected]%&^* ' demo vehicle, its good enough for the rest of us.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts