DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at upgrading my system. Right now i have pioneer (walmart ones) front and rear, 6.25 up front, 6x9 in rear. no amp hooked up, running off my deh-4700mp receiver. i have 2 12" solobaric L7s with kx750.1s (one amp per sub). i like having matching sets of speakers, so i'm looking at replacing front and rear. the speakers i have now don't have a good low/mid range. the sub range only goes up to about 150hz, and my 6x9s sound like CRAP for low end (below about 500hz) my 6.25s are decent, but again, i like matching sets.
so i'm looking at these 2 speakers. i would buy a total of four of whichever speaker, and i would like to stay in the under $150 range (for 4 speakers). I need to play my music fairly loud, as my exhaust is really loud. I'm also thinking about getting some baffles to install with my speakers.

what i'm looking for is some feedback on these speakers, which would fit my system better, or other suggestions. i have a pioneer 4300f amp to hook up with the speakers. i would have it hooked up to my current, but they are already distorting very badly (mostly the 6x9s). this amp (http://pioneerelectronics.com/pio/pe/images/portal/cit_11221/389140572GM4300FOwnersManual1206.pdf) is [email protected] max, [email protected] rms[.2%thd], [email protected] rms[.8%thd]
Kicker 07DS600 2-way car speakers For 6-1/2" and 6-3/4" openings at Crutchfield.com

Infinity Reference 6022si 6-1/2" shallow 2-way car speakers For 6-1/2" and 6-3/4" openings at Crutchfield.com

·
Registered
360 Posts
probably the most effective way to get sounding better with what you have mentioned is to spend that 150 on a set of components for the front. forget the back, and run that 4 channel amp bridged to power the components. then cross that sub over lower.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
probably the most effective way to get sounding better with what you have mentioned is to spend that 150 on a set of components for the front. forget the back, and run that 4 channel amp bridged to power the components. then cross that sub over lower.
what would you recommend for components? i'm driving a 1997 plymouth neon

EDIT: my subs are crossed-over at 150 hz

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
I'm looking at upgrading my system. Right now i have pioneer (walmart ones) front and rear, 6.25 up front, 6x9 in rear. no amp hooked up, running off my deh-4700mp receiver. i have 2 12" solobaric L7s with kx750.1s (one amp per sub). i like having matching sets of speakers, so i'm looking at replacing front and rear. the speakers i have now don't have a good low/mid range. the sub range only goes up to about 150hz, and my 6x9s sound like CRAP for low end (below about 500hz) my 6.25s are decent, but again, i like matching sets.
so i'm looking at these 2 speakers. i would buy a total of four of whichever speaker, and i would like to stay in the under $150 range (for 4 speakers). I need to play my music fairly loud, as my exhaust is really loud. I'm also thinking about getting some baffles to install with my speakers.

what i'm looking for is some feedback on these speakers, which would fit my system better, or other suggestions. i have a pioneer 4300f amp to hook up with the speakers. i would have it hooked up to my current, but they are already distorting very badly (mostly the 6x9s). this amp (http://pioneerelectronics.com/pio/pe/images/portal/cit_11221/389140572GM4300FOwnersManual1206.pdf) is [email protected] max, [email protected] rms[.2%thd], [email protected] rms[.8%thd]
Kicker 07DS600 2-way car speakers For 6-1/2" and 6-3/4" openings at Crutchfield.com

Infinity Reference 6022si 6-1/2" shallow 2-way car speakers For 6-1/2" and 6-3/4" openings at Crutchfield.com
If you have really weak wattage like that, I would recommend the Infinity Reference comps that are 2-ohm to suck every ounce of wattage out of that. Also, the Infinity Reference line is very efficient and loud on the most recent models. I haven't done any comparitive listening on the newer models since they switched them to 2-ohm (mine are 4-ohm from the previous year) but at least you'll get more SPL output than just about any other mass-market speaker when running them off that low power amp.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Do this instead of 2 ohm Infinitys. If you insist on rearfill, Inf. Refs do well of HU power, I'll agree with that. In fact, I think they sound better of HU than amped :laugh:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do this instead of 2 ohm Infinitys. If you insist on rearfill, Inf. Refs do well of HU power, I'll agree with that. In fact, I think they sound better of HU than amped :laugh:
what would you recommend for $150 set of components? they also need to be fairly shallow to fit in my stock location

·
Registered
327 Posts
$150 would go a long way if you're willing to go used. Check the classifieds here as there are always sweat deals to be had.

The PG RSD and Lower line Pioneer sets have gotten good reviews and are under $100. Check the Hot Deals section for the links. I'm a big fan of buying used gear though.

I don't think your HU as a 3way xover but that 4 channel amp would allow you to go active.

Also consider dropping your sub low pass to 80.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts