DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They have the best amp remote on Earth (KXA remote) with tons of features but none of their amps make power into 4 ohms rendering them useless. Heck they don't make much power into 1 ohm despite wanting up to 900 for them. They state they have no plans to offer a stand alone of the KXA remote which would be a home run. Next the iq amp is useless because they don't output a dsp sub out requiring you to run either another stand alone dsp or another anemic iq amp running a separate DSP. Stuuuuuuuupid! Hard pass Kicker

·
Registered
87 Posts
When I'm looking for a solution to a requirement that I have, I define the salient characteristics of the product that will satisfy the requirement. After I do that, I search the commercial market for a product with those characteristics. Most generally, there will be a range of products that vary from meeting all of the desired characteristics to perhaps only a few. I compile a list of competitive products, and evaluate them. Some characteristics or specifications will be valued more than others for the sake of comparison, based on the overall performance goals of the purchase. After determining which products most closely satisfy the requirement, I then compare prices. This part is sometimes very simple, and sometimes is very tricky, as lowest cost is not always best value.

In the event that the commercial marketplace does not offer a product that satisfies your requirements, things become significantly more difficult. You can solicit a firm to design and build the product that you need, typically at a greater expense than an off-the-shelf product. You could also design it yourself and solicit another firm to manufacture it. A third option is to keep the whole dedign-build operation in house. There are pros and cons for any of these options.

I hope that some of these procurement tips can be of help to you.

TL;DR: I would advise you to look beyond Kicker's product portfolio in your search for an amplifier.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome reply! Unfortunately i would need at least 4 different products

·
Registered
369 Posts
Kicker makes some of the best amps there are for car audio and they all make at least rated power.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Mind you, I am not fond of Kicker speakers and subs but their amps are very good and very well regarded.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree they are nice amps, well made but none make good 4 ohm power and they aren't competitive cost wise.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I didn't have much interest in Kicker products until the Q line. They are the least "boutique" brand in the world (which most of diyma is about), but I feel the Q series of products are innovative. As far as the amps, the Q Class has a built-in dsp with all tuning available by phone, tablet, or pc. Power is rated at 65w, but closer to 100w measured. It has the best bass knob I know of, one that basically gives you gain and a 1 band parametric eq readily available.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does the Q have SHOC and phase control on it too? I woud like to know where you saw the tests on power. All I have seen is they just meet rated power. The Q series not having DSP sub out is a blatant disregard for customers in favor of grabbing an extra $800 out of their customers pockets. There are so many that gave a hard consideration to the IQ but the negatives outweigh the positives. Why would kicker take away features that will negatively affect their customers

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I haven't looked at kicker products in years. I have heard the IQ amps aren't bad but the local kicker shop doesn't move much of them. There is nothing else in the kicker line up that I would look at from processors to speakers.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Does the Q have SHOC and phase control on it too? I woud like to know where you saw the tests on power. All I have seen is they just meet rated power. The Q series not having DSP sub out is a blatant disregard for customers in favor of grabbing an extra $800 out of their customers pockets. There are so many that gave a hard consideration to the IQ but the negatives outweigh the positives. Why would kicker take away features that will negatively affect their customers
The Q does not have SHOC or phase. It's not wireless like the KX knob either. It does have bandwidth, center frequency, and boost, along with gain, however.

The power measurements for the Q 1000.5 were provided on PASMAG a while back.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's not what I'm talking about i hope they can meet their measly power rating. Stated better none make Good power into 4 ohms. The kx2400.1 makes 1200 watts into 4 ohms, is 16" long and costs $900. This isn't the 90s anymore. There are tons of great amps that make lots of power, are smaller and cost way less. The point being, the world's greatest bass knob is wasted on these amps.

·
Registered
43 Posts
We get it. You hate Kicker regardless of what anyone says. Luckily for all of us there are many options available. Personally I love my Kicker iQ1000.5. It's perfect for me and many other people that use it. I have 5 speakers in my car and each one has its own custom tuned channel. Not for everyone but works great for many of us as a one unit option with a factory radio.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm WANTING to buy, I WANT the great shock knob! You are being dishonest or obtuse, just like kicker

·
Listener of Music
2,935 Posts
16" and $900 sounds like an interesting por... Oh wait amps. Yeah that's ridiculous. I actually don't see why that huge of a footprint and cost would interest anyone except for brand nostalgia. It may be a quality amp. Size vs cost are big factors nowadays.

First version Hummers were also great off road vehicles......

·
Registered
21 Posts
Kicker is one of the few still "selling to a person to sell to a person"... There amps not only have to live up to their standards but BEST BUYS standards. Meaning if Best Buy is willing to offer a 5 year warranty on it then they are taking a gamble that a certain number need to actually beat those odds while keeping everybody in business. Anymore I take that as meaning they are probably overbuilt... I have only ever dealt with their subs but when someone wants loud, efficient, and affordable with zero reinvention of the wheel I recommend L5/L7 kickers. SQ beasts they aren't, but I have never sold one that came back "broken" unless their golf clubs went through the cone during a panic stop. My buddy surprised alot of people for years with a ported L5 15" on a modest 400rms in his small suv with zero electrical mods or the like. If the majority of the VERY RESPECTABLE smaller production (but high end) brands alot of us prefer had to meet nationwide chain standard you would see price spikes in their lines as well... Focal takes comfort in the fact that 99 out of 100 times the person springing for Utopias has an ear not to beat them. Kicker has to please every car in the ghetto running 4k of sub in the trunk and some "super tweeters" running off the head unit for a front stage (and yes working on the outskirts of Chicago back in the day (sadly) I built that very system several times)....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Listener of Music
2,935 Posts
Kenwood has an amp with dsp that's about $400 and only 12"x6" iirc. It also featured vehicle intergration with idatalink.

·
Registered
21 Posts
And I lived this hobby in the 90's and "competition power" rated amps were closer to $2/watt until class D broke all the rules with $1/watt true rms power. The same internet that brought you 3K amps for $100 is the same one that has destroyed what was "OLD SCHOOL CAR AUDIO"... Competitions, Sponsors, 3-4 competitive shops in a small town, etc...

Amazon is currently doing this to EVERY market but I assure you it's a race to the bottom.....

Ask yourself this question.... Who pays all those government salaries when all the stores are gone and the commercial real estate taxes are gone... Because THEY WILL GET PAID... (DR. EVIL Emoji)

·
Registered
369 Posts
That's not what I'm talking about i hope they can meet their measly power rating. Stated better none make Good power into 4 ohms. The kx2400.1 makes 1200 watts into 4 ohms, is 16" long and costs $900. This isn't the 90s anymore. There are tons of great amps that make lots of power, are smaller and cost way less. The point being, the world's greatest bass knob is wasted on these amps.
:LOL::ROFLMAO::giggle:👌

·
Registered
21 Posts
And please remember you are talking to someone who is not a fan boy and has ONE kicker product that they own. My buddies 10+ year old L5 15. He had kids and needed space in the suv so I bought a 600rms Crown amp for it and made it the sub for my shop where it lives in a dirty corner. We do so much metal fab in there that there is usually some sort of "industrial art" pile of metal shavings stuck to the center of the cone and who knows what's inside of the box but it still marches on. That is the credit I give kicker... While I wouldn't choose it for myself... I can comfortably SELL it and that speaks volumes...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts