DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ideally I'd like my panels to be removable + I don't want to just screw them into anything. Has anyone used industrial strength velcro as attachment point?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I believe Bing (simplicityinsound) holds them down with velcro quite often. Look through one of his intall threads. I believe the one he did for Shinjohn mentions this.

BTW: I will be holding mine down with Velcro. Gimmie a few days and I'll show everyone what I'm up to.

Supposely you can buy what you need at Home Depot or Lowes.

Ge0

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Ideally I'd like my panels to be removable + I don't want to just screw them into anything. Has anyone used industrial strength velcro as attachment point?

Thanks.
My next install will be kickpanel pods....I am very interested in this as well...I am concerned that they will come flying off and hit someone in the head during an accident.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
velcro is a no-no, but an acciden't wont detach them unless they are really heavy. They will likely be light enough though that low frequency performance will be impacted.

If you do not want to put a screw through metal, heres a great tip. Find an existing hole 3/8's down there, and put a poppit plug or plastic tree in there. Then put a screw in THAT.

it's solid, but you arent poking holes in metal. To remove, just use a panel popper after removing the scerw. As cherry as when it came from the dealer.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
I wasn't thinking about the weight of the enclosure....I figured if it was just basically a speaker in a sealed box that it wouldn't be any different than a speaker sitting on a shelf, in terms of the mounting changing the sound anyway, but I can kind of see what you are getting at with the weight of the enclosure being too light and therefore too resonant.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
velcro is a no-no, but an acciden't wont detach them unless they are really heavy. They will likely be light enough though that low frequency performance will be impacted.

If you do not want to put a screw through metal, heres a great tip. Find an existing hole 3/8's down there, and put a poppit plug or plastic tree in there. Then put a screw in THAT.

it's solid, but you arent poking holes in metal. To remove, just use a panel popper after removing the scerw. As cherry as when it came from the dealer.
I built kick pods for midrange duty 300Hz up to approx 2.5KHz. I fail to see the reasoning behind not using Velcro to secure these. Surely it would hold just as good as a christmas tree (assuming I don't want to run a hole through my floor pan.

Ge0

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
I built kick pods for midrange duty 300Hz up to approx 2.5KHz. I fail to see the reasoning behind not using Velcro to secure these. Surely it would hold just as good as a christmas tree (assuming I don't want to run a hole through my floor pan.

Ge0
how shall we test this?

·
Banned
244 Posts
dont use velcro, but rather hook and loop type. it holds better and studier construction. you can even pick it up at any CC or BBY install bay. its like %3 for a 4"X4" strip

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
I've used velcro for testing but don't recommend it as a permanent solution.

I always couple the kick to the vehicle very securely.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts