DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe a little off the track ,but which tool do you prefer for everyday use? I have been using Klein for more than 23 years and about a year ago started using Knipex and just love the German engineering. I use only 1000 volt rated tools. I'm in the industrial sector.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I as well use the Knipex. Being in the instrumentation and controls field they have held up better then Klein. I have used Klein for 13 years and for the past 2 its been all Knipex. IMO since Klein moved their operations to Mexico the quality just hasn't been there..

·
Registered
462 Posts
Interesting first post.:)

I am an elevator modernization mechanic. We work with 22awg up to 1/0 wire, for the most part. I have always used Klein for cutting, crimping and stripping. I like Klein flat blade scewdrivers as well. For some reason their phillips head never seem to work well for me. Klein nut drivers are nice but my bright colored Snap-on are more readily identifiable when reaching into a cluttered tool box. Craftsman sockets are the only Craftsman tools I have found to hold up.

For my work, I have come to the foregone conclusion that a lot tools is not the answer. Having the right tool, finding it where it belongs and taking care of them goes a long way. Using a pair of strippers to cut 4awg wire may work, but is not the right way.

A place for everything, everything in its place.

Knipex-I must admit they look nice. I seem to recall that they are more expensive than average. For repetitive production work I would use whatever appealed to me. Would be worth the extra bucks. If they are German engineered they are most likely nice.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Noone wants to throw Greenlee in the mix??

·
Registered
475 Posts
Klein from about 10yrs ago is the stuff. A splicer pouch and line pliers can fix anything...lol. I was a cable dawg in the usaf. When they shut down Kelly AFB they were letting brand nnew fully loaded klien tool boxes go for like $20.....I had orders to retrain or I would have stocked up. I carried my splice pouch as a TACP operator.

I don't know what happened to klein but they were the stuff...

·
Registered
462 Posts
Noone wants to throw Greenlee in the mix??

Good call. I took notice recently that they have some solid stuff.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Good call. I took notice recently that they have some solid stuff.
I know they are very respected brand in industrial electical field but how about their hand tools? Pliers, strippers, scredrivers.... u know, stuff WE use lol.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I had never heard of knipex until a few weeks ago when I found a bunch of pliers at a garage sale. I bought 5 sets of different sizes including a prety big one for 20 bucks as a gamble. Looked them up online and found out that the 5 sets I bought retail for over 300 combined. now Im kicking myself for not buying everything that was there (probably 20 sets) and selling them on ebay

·
Registered
755 Posts
I've been using Knipex in autobody/collision for close to 30 years. They see use everyday, and are among the most reliable tools in my box. Sadly, Iv'e noticed a serious drop off in Snap On plier quality. Knipex is #1!:thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts