DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I purchased 4 blocks, 2 Power and 2 Ground from KnuKonceptz and DBLink via eBay - Now for some reason, their 8 Gauge didn't fit the DBLink Blocks. I said ok, we'll buy their blocks and see if they fit, should right? Wrong, it doesn't. Watch the video here I made:

KnuKoncepts 8 Guage Wire Ordeal With Distro Blocks - YouTube

How much can I trim to get these wires in the KnuKonceptz blocks as they seem to be of better quality? I mean, you would think it should fit perfectly since they sold me the wire as well as the block, like they test these things out?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I watched your video, and any of those blocks will work. You just need to strip the appropriate amount of insulation. There doesn't seem to be any problem. Next time, I would ask for advise before implying there is a problem with a vendor, especially when you are unsure. It really isn't fair to them.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You mean advice right? lol - Well the point was is that I already had the DBLink blocks and I was told by them that they are using a different standard in terms of the hole. So I put two and two together and assumed maybe the holes would be bigger if I bought their blocks to match their wire, because apparently all 8 AWG wire isn't created equal, and for a new audio DIY'er like myself, this may be confusing. So in that regard, I think this post is fair.

Someone emailed me back stating -

"As for the ground block, I could fit the entire wire including the jacket into the 8 gauge port of the ground block when I test fit the cable when you asked the question before ordering. I will take a photo tomorrow to show you"

So now I'm confused because from his statement above, it's suppose to fit perfectly and the proper trim would only be 5/8!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Trust me everything is fine. Just trim the insulation. The tighter the wire in the hole the better. Within reason, greater contact area will minimize voltage drop. The whole block is energized, it's not like yo u can short one hole to the other.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you simply look at what you're trying to accomplish, you will see that the insulation is to prevent shorts from point A to point B. In order to get a power connection you need a metal-to-metal contact. This means that bare wire needs to be in the setscrew area.

Strip the insulation back so that when the bare wire is inserted fully into the hole, the insulation just butts up against the shoulder inside the hole. These are not self-piercing connections.

If you strip the insulation properly, any of those blocks should work, and there should be no bare wire exposed outside the holes.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Btw, KnuKonceptz is one of the BEST vendors out there. Their product are top shelf, and they truly support the mobile audio community.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Btw, KnuKonceptz is one of the BEST vendors out there. Their product are top shelf, and they truly support the mobile audio community.
No, I totally agree on this, I have an AMP kit 4 AWG from them, holder, all my wires are Knu. But see, when I'm told that their product should fit their wire fine without having to do extra work such as having to strip the wire, it should just be that and only that. Sure I'm nitpicking and it's only 20 bucks I wasted, but now see I have 2 blocks I don't need now in which from the get-go would of not been a problem. So ya, it's whatever, I'll accept.

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
stripping the jacket back as your supposed to will let the wire feed right in with no problem..

Now if your trying to get some of the sleeve into the block for a nicer and cleaner fit, then just use a step drill bit (one looks like a cone with multiple step down sizes) and instert it into end of block and drill out to the next size.. a few seconds worth a work for a clean jacketed install, we do it all the time..

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
stripping the jacket back as your supposed to will let the wire feed right in with no problem..

Now if your trying to get some of the sleeve into the block for a nicer and cleaner fit, then just use a stepless drill bit (one looks like a cone with multiple step down sizes) and instert it into end of block and drill out to the next size.. a few seconds worth a work for a clean jacketed install, we do it all the time..
Indeed, I want it to be clean. That's a good idea, I don't own those tools. What would you recommend? I would want to use this of course as well with drilling holes into MDF boards as I want to make a rear seat delete kit for my Mustang.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
O.M.G. !!!

:eek:

You're kidding, right? Unbelievable!!!!!!

:dunce:
They stated this:

As for the ground block, I could fit the entire wire including the jacket into the 8 gauge port of the ground block when I test fit the cable when you asked the question before ordering. I will take a photo tomorrow to show you

-

So if you can understand coming from a customer service point of view, it's not the work mind you, it's the principle. I didn't have to buy the KnuKonceptz blocks is the point, I was fine with just the DBLink according to this forum, so buying extras on a recommendation FROM THEM, that it would fit according to their word is deceiving even though it's such a small thing, price wise and topic wise.

I work in a customer service field - www.jcmsupport.com - I know when I recommend something for hardware or software, etc - that it will just work without having to do additional steps or having to purchase additional things or I state from the get-go what needs to be done. KnuKonceptz solution was to blame DBLink according to my emails that they may not being a standard that Knu uses so therefore, buying Knus blocks would be best. That's what I'm getting at, but ya, I totally support KnuKonceptz but this just threw me off.

It's the customer service side of me that doesn't vibe right with how this went down.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
They stated this:

As for the ground block, I could fit the entire wire including the jacket into the 8 gauge port of the ground block when I test fit the cable when you asked the question before ordering. I will take a photo tomorrow to show you

-

So if you can understand coming from a customer service point of view, it's not the work mind you, it's the principle. I didn't have to buy the KnuKonceptz blocks is the point, I was fine with just the DBLink according to this forum, so buying extras on a recommendation FROM THEM, that it would fit according to their word is deceiving even though it's such a small thing, price wise and topic wise.

I work in a customer service field - Virtual Agents - Jon Calvin Moore - Geek Squad - I know when I recommend something for hardware or software, etc - that it will just work without having to do additional steps or having to purchase additional things or I state from the get-go what needs to be done. KnuKonceptz solution was to blame DBLink according to my emails that they may not being a standard that Knu uses so therefore, buying Knus blocks would be best. That's what I'm getting at, but ya, I totally support KnuKonceptz but this just threw me off.

It's the customer service side of me that doesn't vibe right with how this went down.
Wow, I cant believe this is even a thread. YOU HAVE TO STRIP THE INSULATION OFF BEFORE YOU INSERT IT INTO THE BLOCK!

If not the set screw will just....nevermind

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow, I cant believe this is even a thread. YOU HAVE TO STRIP THE INSULATION OFF BEFORE YOU INSERT IT INTO THE BLOCK!

If not the set screw will just....nevermind
I know this, this has been established. It's recommended to strip it 5/8 and have it inserted with the jacket. The jacket should be able to fit in the hole as well especially if you match 8 AWG wire with a supposed 8 AWG hole sold by the same manufacturer. We'll stop it at that. I mean, I just asked a buddy just now which purchased a Fosgate Amp kit, which has 8 AWG wire and he states the wire fits into the Fosgate distro blocks with the jacket stripped at 5/8 of bare wire perfectly. Fosgate basically sold wire that fits cleanly into their distro blocks. It's a simple point, sure it's pointless, who gives a **** right, just strip it, I get it, but that is the point.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I know this, this has been established. It's recommended to strip it 5/8 and have it inserted with the jacket. The jacket should be able to fit in the hole as well especially if you match 8 AWG wire with a supposed 8 AWG hole sold by the same manufacturer. We'll stop it at that.
No it shouldn't, all blocks are made to fit the WIRE size only, NOT the jacket. Its really common sense in the car audio world.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No it shouldn't, all blocks are made to fit the WIRE size only, NOT the jacket. Its really common sense in the car audio world.
Sure, I understand it's common sense in the car audio world in which I'm new to that world. But KnuKonceptz states this to me via email -

"As for the ground block, I could fit the entire wire including the jacket into the 8 gauge port of the ground block when I test fit the cable when you asked the question before ordering. I will take a photo tomorrow to show you"

So they have a picture waiting for me, tomorrow, as stated in the prior post. So I'm just confused and I'm sure people NEW to the world of Car Audio would be too if you were given two sets of advice regarding this topic. Mind you, he didn't mention the power block in which if it fit with the jacket on. I have yet to see if he can confirm that. But yes, I get the process, I don't need to be told what happens next, I'm just stating the confusion one might receive when dealing with this particular vendor.

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
Indeed, I want it to be clean. That's a good idea, I don't own those tools. What would you recommend? I would want to use this of course as well with drilling holes into MDF boards as I want to make a rear seat delete kit for my Mustang.
get a bit like this, you can get at any hardware store, or home depot, lowes, etc.. There are various sizes, but will make quick work at what you want to do.. Just go to the next drill step when you drill, and should be fine... Most blocks have a step inset already, but it is true alot of jackets dont fit into the blocks, as there are various jacket sizes on wires..

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
get a bit like this, you can get at any hardware store, or home depot, lowes, etc.. There are various sizes, but will make quick work at what you want to do.. Just go to the next drill step when you drill, and should be fine... Most blocks have a step inset already, but it is true alot of jackets dont fit into the blocks, as there are various jacket sizes on wires..

That's some excellent advice. Much appreciated!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 thing I don't like Knu's products is, their wire are oversized.... For a newbie, you need other brand's 4AWG to fit their 8AWG cables....
Yes, I've come to that conclusion as well. But you would think they would sell distribution blocks to fit their oversized wire.

·
Registered
131 Posts
1 thing I don't like Knu's products is, their wire are oversized.... For a newbie, you need other brand's 4AWG to fit their 8AWG cables....
I have been using Knu cables for lots of years, and this is simply not true.

The issue is that if you let the strands of wire in the cable spread at all after stripping the insulation it becomes too thick to cram in without trimming some strands off. The knu cables can take some skill to hook up but they do fit the official AWG specifications.

As for as Knu products go, the only thing from them that I thought wasn't a good product was their three way battery terminals. They never would stay tight, the set screw just strips out, and even before that they slipped off battery terminals too easily. I upgraded to some really nice JL terminals and never looked back.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts