DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got a 3 gang distribution block:
KonFUSED 3 Way Distribution System
Im sure most know how these work. It is called a compression fiting and it should give a better connection than just a set screw. Strip the wire, push it thru the nut and fold the wire over then screw it in. The wire should become crimped between the nut and the bottom of the hole. However, it seems that the holes were drilled too deep and the nut is bottoming out on its threads before this happens. I tried to put more wire thru and cutting the ends that were overlapping the threads, but I still did not get what seemed to be a good crimp. Has anyone else had this issue? I think I will place some washers in the hole. Im not sure what the gap is like between the nut and the bottom of the hole, but it should be like 1/16" max. The 1/0g nut did not have this issue. PITA.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I got a 3 gang distribution block:
KonFUSED 3 Way Distribution System
Im sure most know how these work. It is called a compression fiting and it should give a better connection than just a set screw. Strip the wire, push it thru the nut and fold the wire over then screw it in. The wire should become crimped between the nut and the bottom of the hole. However, it seems that the holes were drilled too deep and the nut is bottoming out on its threads before this happens. I tried to put more wire thru and cutting the ends that were overlapping the threads, but I still did not get what seemed to be a good crimp. Has anyone else had this issue? I think I will place some washers in the hole. Im not sure what the gap is like between the nut and the bottom of the hole, but it should be like 1/16" max. The 1/0g nut did not have this issue. PITA.
Take some pictures for us, I've used the fittings a lot of times without this issues so perhaps with getting to see your problems I and others could help.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will try, but basically the instructions should read something like this:
For 4g wire:
  1. Strip 7/8-1" of insulation off the wire.
  2. Insert nut over wire so hex head is facing opposite end of wire that you stripped.
  3. Hold nut off of insulation so 5/8" of wire is exposed past end of nut.
  4. Fold over the wire strands and ensure that they do not overlap the threads.
  5. Let the nut sit against the insulation and insert the nut into the hole on the distro block while pushing the wire into the hole of distribution block also.
  6. Tighten nut. It should stop before it bottoms out showing that the wire is compressed in the hole.
Do this worked. However stripping the 5/8 of wire like it states on the instructions was not enough. I think the holes were drilled too deep. I like the compression fitting better than the set screw style, but this was a bit of a PITA, cause I had to remove the wires that I had already stuck thru and bent the strands, then cut more insulation off and get them back thru the nuts which is near impossible with when the wire is all flared out after you bend them over and stuff. I could not cut more as the wire was cut to exact length already and I didn’t want it to ne short.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im sure it would have worked fine the way it was as the wire it touching the block and it could not be moved or removed by pulling on it. Im just anal and wanted to feel the nut compresse the wire.

·
Super Moderator
5,227 Posts
Add solder. Fan out the end of the wire so it nearly fills the hole without using spacer, add heat and solder then screw it down.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Add solder. Fan out the end of the wire so it nearly fills the hole without using spacer, add heat and solder then screw it down.
I'm not so sure this is a great plan.

The answer is to figure out how to use the connector properly, not introduce a bunch of unneeded high resistance solder into the connection. I'm sure it could work, but it certainly isn't the easiest or surest approach.

The key is probably how much wire you had sticking through initially. I never go by the official dimensions on stripping back power wire. I like to go further than I need on purpose and trim if I have to once it's fed through. You'll end up only trimming some of the strands on the outside and have a much more full pack of wire strands to fill the hole on the block. Doing this has worked great for me.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not so sure this is a great plan.

The answer is to figure out how to use the connector properly, not introduce a bunch of unneeded high resistance solder into the connection. I'm sure it could work, but it certainly isn't the easiest or surest approach.

The key is probably how much wire you had sticking through initially. I never go by the official dimensions on stripping back power wire. I like to go further than I need on purpose and trim if I have to once it's fed through. You'll end up only trimming some of the strands on the outside and have a much more full pack of wire strands to fill the hole on the block. Doing this has worked great for me.
Agreed. I think I had less problems on my 2-way because I used wire that had less, but thicker strands wich dont bend as easy. I didnt use a spacer and would not use solder. The threads on these are fine and will not strip unless you want them to.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts