DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hey Martin! Sorry to thread-jack, but wanted to say we missed you and your dad at Jasons GTG earlier this month. Hope you all are doing well!
Hey thanks! I haven't been on the board that much the past couple years, so I was a little out of the loop.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
So I took a crack at the doors today, everything went really well. Removing and reinstalling the door panels was a breeze. The Infinity Kappa 60.11cs woofers I had laying around fit into the stock door pods like a glove.

Once I identified the factory speaker wires' colors, I traced them the foot wells under the floor mats. I simply soldered my speaker wires to the factory wires in a convenient spot, heat shrinked over everything and tucked them back into the plastic cable channel.
I really REALLY didn't feel like snaking the aftermarket wire through the door jambs, so I did it quick and dirty for now.
Just look at that OEM nylon braiding (tech flex) around the speakers wires... beautifus.

No pic of it soldered, but it is.

On to the door pods.

Once on the bench, mandatory old vs. new shots:

Old is paper cone, pretty stiff suspension, pretty hefty magnet actually, stamped steel frame, 2 Ohm and unknown power handing. Perhaps around 30 to 40 watts on a good day?
Looking at the speakers, I had to admit to myself that the old mids looked like they would sound better, more natural than the Infinities.
The Kappas are 'carbon fiber' cones, even stiffer suspension, composite basket (weak and bendy), similar size magnet, also 2 Ohm but 90 watts rms. I know these aren't the greatest mids, but it's what I have on hand right now. The NVX amp will be feeding them with 110 watts on tap at 2 Ohm.
As soon as funds allow, I may spring for a set of Silver Flutes.
The mission right now is to get everything hooked up with spending as little moneys as possible.

The Kappas are a great fit for the door pod opening. I had tp trim the plastic ears of the drivers, no big deal. I made a new gasket out of Ensolite:

Drilled new holes and installed the new mids with stainless screws.

The factory hardware back in its spot so it doesn't get lost:

Everything's reinstalled and I confirmed that both new door speakers work using a home audio amp, because the new deck and amp aren't wired up yet.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Next up is wiring the amp power cable from under the hood, through the firewall using an existing rubber grommet right next to the battery (thanks MB) and running a ground cable to a nearby factory ground.
The amp is going under the second row seat, there's a nice little void space with the seat backs folded down. I may try some large velcro patches to secure the amp to the carpet.
The second row seat bottoms are removed, they pulled right off their tabs without tools, very convenient. Tons of space for dual 1.5 cf enclosures in the foot wells, they can be as high as needed to achieve the internal volume.

Once everything but the subs are hooked up and playing, I will mock up the sub boxes using cardboard to get the shape down before cutting plywood. That's right, plywood not mdf.
Also, some people may cringe at what I'm about to use as power and ground cable, but instead of buying new 4ga welding cable like for my last build (runs were very short as amp was next to battery), I am repurposing a set of old jumper cables. They are very thick, probably bigger than 4 ga, solid copper and were free. I see no reason not to do it, especially because I own a newer set of jumper cables already.
Stay tuned for more shenanigans / pics.

·
Registered
4,588 Posts
Looking good Martin! I want to hear it at the ‘20 NCSQ Meet! BTW.....I recently moved from Rice to Kraut (wait.....is that PC these days?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Looking good Martin! I want to hear it at the ‘20 NCSQ Meet! BTW.....I recently moved from Rice to Kraut (wait.....is that PC these days?)
Thanks! Hopefully I can make it to '20 NCSQ. You went from the FRS to the Audi in your avatar?

LOL... I moved to Kraut as well!
What did you get? Did you have a Mustang?

I'll hopefully make more progress on this build this weekend. I look forward to having tunes again soon...

·
Registered
4,588 Posts
Yep - BRZ to Audi S4 - the BRZ was fun, and I enjoyed the system, but the Audi is of course on another level car wise.......the goal is to get the system on another level as well.

Good luck this weekend - will be a hot one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
Looking good Martin. I admire you for not spending money if you don't have to. As long as it works, is safe, and will stand the test of time that's all that matters. For my friend's power and ground wire in his previous vehicle we used the 2ish gauge cables from the '94 Mercury/Mariner efi 200 I blew a hole in the side of the block and cracked a cylinder in. It's his parts motor for his nearly identical motor on his boat. His install was a special case of his wife questioning every penny spent, a defective headunit reverse harness, and me banging my head on the concrete working with NO budget.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts