DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm having a hard time discerning the differences and the cost between the two. The l6v2 is a HUGE leap forward from the l6 and is VERY similar to the l6se. But the L6se is more then double the price. Can anyone help me figure out why the L6se would even be an option now versus the l6v2?

Thanks

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Anyone?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Having tested all three in my car, I can say that the L6v2 is as the other v2 Legatia products; they are a refinement of the original driver and not intended to compete directly with the SE version. From my experience the L6V2 IS a significant enhancement to the L6 with audibly cleaner midrange and better overall extension. It maintains the ferrite motor assembly of the original L6 but with improvements in inductance and lower midrange distortion as well as a slightly extended frequency response. It isn't quite the L6se, but it is a vast improvement on the original L6.

If you have the L6 and are considering an upgrade I would recommend it for a two-way setup. For a 3-way setup most of the changes are in the upper midrange and probably well outside the driver's passband. If you are considering a new two-way setup and are trying to decide between the L6V2 and the L6se... I'd have to say the L6se is the superior driver. If you are going with a new 3-way setup, the L6V2 would save you money over the SE and the benefits of the more expensive driver would not be readily apparent. The L6se does have slightly more Xmax, but I would say installation makes more of a difference to low end response than the difference between the two drivers would.

Hope that is some help! Sorry I don't have measurements of the differences...

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Both: Xmax between the two drivers are the same. The inductance of the L6 was GREATLY reduced and was refined to what it SHOULD have bin in the first place. They have tinsel leads on both sides of the spider to stop it from rocking.

L6SE: Slightly lower inductance then the l6v2, and some weird copper motor. Barely anything to note on the extended frequency. Neodymium motor. Smother back motor for less rear wave break ups/nodes.

l6v2: Has better sensitivity then the l6se, and handles more power. Ferrite motor.

As I see it, your spending double the amount for a slightly better motor and extended range that isn't needed lol. The l6se is considered in my book obsolete..

Am I missing something as to why a double the price driver is considered on par with its l6v2 brother?

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Still doesn't help me discern the difference.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Further proves the L6SE is moot lol.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Further proves the L6SE is moot lol.
You appear to read distortion plots differently than I do. I see a 10dB drop in the plot for much of the driver's (mid)range with the SE. Is that a worthless measurement? Well... that depends on the listener I suppose.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm looking mainly at the cost vs performance range here and that is not worth double the price lol.

·
18,682 Posts
Look at the THD reading at 1khz. Reaching nearly 3% at 95dB in the half-far-field. The values I gave in the graphs translate in to 89dB @ 1m. This is most likely the closest you'll be to the driver. The furthest speaker will be probably close double that distance, so deduct another 6dB; now you're at 83dB-85dB in the seated position.

Really, this is why my tests now are done at about a 6dB higher level. Us car audio goons like more output and the home audio folks are a lot further away from the speaker than we are.

SPL is relative. You have to talk about distance when discussing SPL. So, with all that said, the L6V2 distortion parameters overall are not better than the L6SE. To some, this may very well be worth the extra money. To others, they'll say it's a non-issue altogether. I'm in between and with that primary peak at 1khz in the L6V2, I'd say that's something to be weary of. It may not be horrible but given the ears' sensitivity in the 1-4khz range, it's something that stands out to me a little more than the other parameters.

I wish I had done off-axis measurements of the L6V2 but didn't. Or, if I did, I don't have the results on my computer. That would've been interesting to see and one more piece of the puzzle.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
You do have a point there and see what you mean. I know paper isn't everything and tests will show the true nature of the beast.

Granted the l6se will do better off axis because it is made for it and has bin discussed it does it very well over the L6.

I'm just trying to combine all the info I can get to have an easy time to see and understand what is TRULY the difference. The l6se is FAR superior to the l6v2 yes, but how much is what I'm trying to quantify and by these measurements it helps me allot to understand this.

All in all it seems you get 10dB drop of distortion in the mid-range, lose the NASTY peak at 1k, better off axis response (don't know how much), lower overall resistance,1k Hz more usable frequency range, and a better magnet for its motor.

Note: What about the sensitivity gain of 3.5 over the l6se? How does that help it?

·
18,682 Posts
You do have a point there and see what you mean. I know paper isn't everything and tests will show the true nature of the beast.

Granted the l6se will do better off axis because it is made for it and has bin discussed it does it very well over the L6.

I'm just trying to combine all the info I can get to have an easy time to see and understand what is TRULY the difference. The l6se is FAR superior to the l6v2 yes, but how much is what I'm trying to quantify and by these measurements it helps me allot to understand this.

All in all it seems you get 10dB drop of distortion in the mid-range, lose the NASTY peak at 1k, better off axis response (don't know how much), lower overall resistance,1k Hz more usable frequency range, and a better magnet for its motor.

Note: What about the sensitivity gain of 3.5 over the l6se? How does that help it?
lol... what I did is a test. ;)

As far as the sensitivity gain, that's not broadband. The two are pretty close to the same throughout, with some variances mainly past the 3khz mark where I wouldn't personally be using them anyway because they're so directional. But, if that's something that you plan to use, the higher sensitivity is just that. It could be of benefit... I don't see anything necessarily wrong with it. We all say we want higher sensitivity, don't we? ;)

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
LOL everyone is so *sensitive*

Its ALL about sensitivity!

but just to ad my 2 cents in here. I use the L6se's and LOVE them i was not nearly as impressed with the l6v2's in the same application,i think from 80 to 1600 is where they shine.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I hear you. The vocal clarity and the loudness made me drop a load compared to my l6's. I thought OMFG I sent my mids output to my tweets and tweets to mids!!!!! Then I figured out, wait a minute, I did set it up right.... :D

·
Registered
298 Posts
I am very curious about this as well. I am leaning towards the L6v2 over the SE because I am not going to run them over 600hz most likely. I plan to run them in correlation with L3SEs so I don't think the L6SEs will be worth the extra $$ for me. But I dunno.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The l6v2 would be PERFECT for you as the L6SE shines into the vocal range and off axis response.

My situation was WELL worth the upgrade to the L6SE.

·
Registered
298 Posts
The l6v2 would be PERFECT for you as the L6SE shines into the vocal range and off axis response.

My situation was WELL worth the upgrade to the L6SE.
cool thanks for the suggestion. I think it will be perfect for me. I hope to do this in the next two weeks.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts