DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of a/d/s/ 346is drivers and PX series tweeters, or so I believe...

I am running an a/d/s/ 860mx 8x60 watts for them. I was running 1 channel for each mid, and one channel for each tweeter. The tweeters are more than loud enough with the gain at only 1/4 of the way up. But the mids with just 1 channel (60 watts) are very quiet with the gain turned ALL the way up and the headunit all the way to max volume (alpine 9813).

I have the headunit doing a 3-way, crossover points at 100hz to 2000hz 12db/oct for the mids and high pass 2500hz @24db/oct for the tweets.

Then I tried bridging 2 channels so that each mid would recieve ~150 watts, and even with the gain cranked up and the volume way up, it is still not loud enough at driving levels.

Before I was doing active I had the passives in and had 2 channels ~150 watts going to each tweet/midrange and it was MUCH louder. Is it possible for the passive crossover to make it louder some how?

These speakers I believe to be older a/d/s/ 346is, however they seem to look exactly like the Orion series which was a 2 ohm driver, would that make a difference?

This is my first venture into active, and although it sounds pretty good, the volume is very disappointing. Thanks for any help

·
Registered
530 Posts
i believe they are the hcca 2 ohm mids and not the 4 ohm ads version-same cone etc. diff. coil,the 2 ohm coil wont impact spl of the mid the way you would think ,even though the ads tweets are commonly crossed over below 4 k with 18 db slope,i would try raising the tweet hp to 3.5-4 k 12-18db and for the mid near the same 3.5-4k 12 db,and see how it sounds,if the tweeters are not balanced with the mid and are too loud,it will seem as if the midrange is lacking vol. hope it helps

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, yes it does, but when I try and cros the mids above 2.5k it seems like they get scratchy...

I think that is what is happening, but it might be that they are clipping since I have the gain on the amp cranked all the way up.

This is a pic of the Orion HCCA setup, and I believe that is the same setup I have...

If that is the case, I'm suprised the amp I have can take a bridged 2 ohm mono load... kinda frustrated that I have no idea what drivers I have.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I THINK THE RED BASKETS WERE USED ONLY ON THE HCCA,S,AND YES IF THE GAINS ARE MAXED ON THE MIDS THEY WILL SOUND -SCRACHY-QUICKLY,AS FAR AS THE 2 OHM BRIDGED YOUR ADS SHOULDNT HAVE MUCH OF A PROB WITH THAT,BEING A MID AS YOU MIGHT KNOW IMP. VARIES WITHIN THE BANDWIDTH WHILE PLAYING MUSIC MEANING DEPENDING ON THE FREQ. BEING PLAYED IT CAN VARY BETWEEN 2- WHO KNOWS 20 OHMS OR MORE,THE 2 OHM RATING IS NOM.IVE NEVER HAD A PAIR OF THOSE, LOOKS LIKE YOU DID SOME WORK ON YOUR DOORS-IS YOUR AMP WIRED UP PROPERLY-GROUNDS-SANDED AND SCREWED OR BOLTED TO A SOLID POINT?WHAT GA WIRE-FOR PWR-GROUND?FUSE RATING?CHECK POLARITY-ITS LATE AND IM STATING THE OBVIOUS -SORRY

1 - 4 of 4 Posts