DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Credence Speakers, Inc.: LANZAR 0A15-4

"These factory overrun Lanzar 15" Open Air subs are now being offered at a low price of $Forty-forty$. Come and get some while they're still available. Happy listening! Note: The "law of the land" prohibits us from updating the photo of this particular sub, but be assured that they are legitimate, we apologize for the inconvenience this may cause. 2 inch voice coil. 250 watts RMS, 500 watts Peak. "

Looks like once Credence saw the response to the 18w6's they decided to add another deal to their clearance section!

·
Registered
238 Posts
hmm, kinda interested in these. now, excuse the noobosity of this question, does open air refer to infinite baffle or pure open air? And does anyone have experience with these?

·
Registered
395 Posts
They are specifically made for IB....don't worry guys, I won't go and buy up 20 of these like the 18W6! Lol, this is a good deal, so is the 10" and 12" subs they have for $20 each too....

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Shipping Weight: 34.00 pounds

nice...I have zero use for one and yet I want to buy one. I need to find the 10. is that also IB?

I just looked the 10s are not IB dang.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I couldn't find much of anything Googling these things. Does anybody know much about these, or have some specs?

·
Registered
240 Posts
The credence OA-10's and the original Lanzar OA-10's were different, and someone posted the Lanzar spec sheet proving this. There are similarities and I have no doubt Credence was the build house for them...just some of the parts used in there OA's were different changing the T/S parameters.

I would ask Credence for parameters on the 15's and model them just to be certain they were a good choice for IB.The 10's may work OK IB, but they were dofferent from the original models( different color surround being the most visual cue ).

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I would ask Credence for parameters on the 15's and model them just to be certain they were a good choice for IB.The 10's may work OK IB, but they were dofferent from the original models( different color surround being the most visual cue ).

To your knowledge, is there any parameters out there on the OA15-4? I emailed & called them, but they're constantly on the phone. :(

So the IB versions don't have the red-orange surround?

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have four of the lanzar oa108s and posted a spec sheet for them. I can repost if you want, but mine have black surrounds and might be the newer model.

A friend of mine has these with the orange surrounds, nib, and I can get the spec sheet for you guys in a few days. I'd put money on them being oa10s versus mine with the impedance attached to the model number.

·
Registered
148 Posts
To your knowledge, is there any parameters out there on the OA15-4? I emailed & called them, but they're constantly on the phone. :(

I emailed Credence over the weekend about another matter. In the response, they said they have T/S parameters for all the clearance models except for the OA15-4. Maybe they will be forthcoming, but for now, you are out of luck.

I also wouldn't trust the parameters to be the same as any older models. Credence seems to build these using surplus parts, but there is no guarantee they are all the same parts as the original models. In the case of the OA10, there are differences between what is listed and what is in the WinISD database.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
What a shame. My buddy ran 2 OA-15's in his 80 grand priz back in the highschool days. Powered by a Coustic 190. They were awesome.

·
Registered
240 Posts

Like So cal eddie posted, compare the specs of the black surround 10's to the specifications given on Credence site for their OA10's. They are different. I am not sure if an older red surround version of the OA's existed back in the day, and the posted spec sheet is the only I have seen for Lanzar OA series woofers.

I couldn't begin to compare the 15's, as so far Credence hasn't posted specs for them. I would be interested in seeing them though, as a 15 with my Dayton 240 watt plate amp might be a fun project.

Dang buyouts at Parts Express and Clearance corner at Credence...I keep wanting to start new inexpensive projects. I thought I was doing good avoiding the 18w6's, but a 40 dollar 15 is very tempting. Where were these when I had my SUV? :laugh:

·
Registered
148 Posts
This is the spec sheet for the black surround woofers.
Funny how times change. Back in the 80s/90s, the sub manufacturers greatly exaggerated the sensitivity. Everyone today knows that those subs were NOT 96-99dB sensitive. When you enter the T/S parameters into WinISD and let it calculate the sensitivity, it comes out to around 91dB, which is remarkably similar to the Credence OA10-4. Other than that, the main difference is in the Vas. Subtle difference in xmax and a few other specs.

However, when I plotted the new specs from Credence, vs the ones listed in SoCal Eddie's photo, here is what we get with two subs in a 20cu ft sealed box (to simulate open air into a trunk).

They are virtually identical expect for a slight offset due to the newer one coming in with about 1dB higher sensitivity. So, it seems as though they are pretty much equivalent to the old ones.

EDIT: I ran the 12" Sabre (SA12-4) vs the original OA12S-4 that Eddie listed, and the plot was virtually identical (even closer than the 10" versions). So, I think we can conclude that the 15" will probably be equivalent to the old school Lanzars as well.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Thank you for taking the time to do that. I haven't modeled them and was unsure how the differences might have effected the end results.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
4mm of Xmax? That blows. At least they're up-front about their blow-ocity and you can't expect to move too much air for $60 shipped, I guess.

Can anyone post up photos? I'm not finding any.

·
Registered
240 Posts
These are an old school woofer. Large xmax woofers were not so common in the late eighties/early to mid nineties.

Not sure that counts as "blow-ocity"...but I do like that term.

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,005 Posts
Back in the 80s/90s, the sub manufacturers greatly exaggerated the sensitivity.
I don't know that they necessarily exaggerated the sensitivity because they usually measured it at a higher frequency where the woofer actually played louder. IIRC, when Kicker touted to be the most efficient sub, it was later revealed that they measured them at 1,000 Hz or something crazy like that to obtain the higher than usual sensitivity figure. Only problem, that's misleading for a subwoofer that routinely would play no higher than 120 Hz.:(

1 - 20 of 36 Posts