DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 6 weeks ago, I bought a Lenovo 330 Ideapad for my kids' remote learning. Well somehow they managed to break off part of the charging cord prong inside the jack on the laptop. So now it won't charge and it's only a matter of time before the battery dies.

My hope was to pull out the part of the prong, reinsert it into the cord, and then crimp or solder it together so this doesn't happen again. Unfortunately, the only tool I can get into the jack is a paperclip, and I can't get any kind of grip to pull it out. Any other ideas?

I found replacement jacks online, but I really don't want to disassemble a new laptop to replace it. I'm also not very good at soldering. And what are the kids gonna use while this laptop is down? I need to get this fixed ASAP!

·
Registered
80 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Oh Bro...
You kid broke this:

Well I got good news. THe LENOVO's are easy to fix.

But... Don't mess around with the charging cord fix. Just get a new one. Or take it back to the store if it is still under warranty.

If there is any damage to the Port, you will have to get a new one as well.

Let me know if you still need more help. But post a pick of the problem.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great suggestions guys, thanks! As it turns out, my dad had a small set of pick tools very similar to the set that thedynoguy posted. The points were actually thinner than the paper clip I was using. The set includes a pick that had just the right angle to allow me to slowly work out the broken piece.

Once I got it out, I realized that, just like imickey503 predicted, it was too damaged to repair the cord. It looks like some1 picked up the laptop very quickly while it was still plugged in. That caused the charger cord to pulled down and out, bending and then breaking the prong. The jack seems to be ok though... I think it was engineered so the prong would give 1st rather than the jack. Of course, I won't know that for sure until I get the new charger :cautious:

I found a replacement charger online for about $30 w/ expedited shipping, so it should be here Monday. Hopefully the battery lasts that long! In the meantime, I have to put on my Sherlock Holmes hat and try to figure out who broke it... 🕵️‍♂️

1 - 7 of 7 Posts