DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am guessing there are some computer guys on here who could offer me some suggestions.

The image shows a basic clip of my laptop. I am looking for ways to configure things like paging file... I would like at it set so as I can maximise my computer - which for me feels slow..

The system is set for 8Gb paging file and adjusted for best performance and set up to only show thumbnails in the custom setting. Hiberfil.sys is 13Gb

It always feels like my memory is overloaded.. are there any programs or keystrokes to empty the cache without having to reboot all the time. By slow, I mean swapping from one window to another or just generally having the mouse freeze up until another task has finished and I am not running anything intensive - no graphics or music programs - so what is my problem/s..

Thanks for any help.. cheers.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I am guessing there are some computer guys on here who could offer me some suggestions.

View attachment 270554

The image shows a basic clip of my laptop. I am looking for ways to configure things like paging file... I would like at it set so as I can maximise my computer - which for me feels slow..

The system is set for 8Gb paging file and adjusted for best performance and set up to only show thumbnails in the custom setting. Hiberfil.sys is 13Gb

It always feels like my memory is overloaded.. are there any programs or keystrokes to empty the cache without having to reboot all the time. By slow, I mean swapping from one window to another or just generally having the mouse freeze up until another task has finished and I am not running anything intensive - no graphics or music programs - so what is my problem/s..

Looks like you have 32 Gb of memory installed, get rid of the page file completely. If you are running out of memory causing the OS to page some, you need to quit abusing the computer.
Or you could have a virus, or the antivirus program is screwing with you.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Agreed - with 32gb of RAM, you should not be having RAM-related performance issues.

Browser tabs use a lot of memory - don't keep dozens of tabs open.

Also, as mentioned, I would run a virus scan and check for an uninstall any un-needed apps.

Do you have plenty of free disk space?

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Most computers still come with 8 Mb. Very few come with 32 GB of RAM so you should be having zero memory issues unless you’re doing CAD, video editing, or similar.

You also have a decently fast laptop processor though it is several years old at this point but still plenty fast for anything except the most demanding tasks as mentioned above.

If your computer isn’t running as fast as you expect, the single biggest improvement you can make to performance is to buy a solid-state disk. Take a picture of your disk drives under Device Manager and we can take a look at that and make some suggestions.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Most computers still come with 8 Mb. Very few come with 32 GB of RAM so you should be having zero memory issues unless you’re doing CAD, video editing, or similar.

You also have a decently fast laptop processor though it is several years old at this point but still plenty fast for anything except the most demanding tasks as mentioned above.

If your computer isn’t running as fast as you expect, the single biggest improvement you can make to performance is to buy a solid-state disk. Take a picture of your disk drives under Device Manager and we can take a look at that and make some suggestions.
That suggestion about switching to an ssd is absolutely on point. The single biggest performance gain on a laptop can be had by switching to an ssd.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I agree that an SSD will help - but that still doesn't identify and correct the real problem. Something is causing his computer to run much slower than it should. Personally, I would concentrate on identifying the root problem before worrying about upgrades. Once the root problem is fixed, the upgrade may not be necessary.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts

View attachment 270554

I bought this back when they were on sale for $109, a little more now, but it was well worth the money and effort to replace the incredibly slow hard drive.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for the feedback so far.. I have two H/D in the laptop a 512GB SSD (about 165Gb free) which has the operating system and programs on and a 1Tb H/D (about 465Gb free) for all of the files and images and music.

I will reduce the pagefile down to whatever is the smallest that it will allow and see if that helps.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Thanks for the feedback so far.. I have two H/D in the laptop a 512GB SSD (about 50% used) which has the operating system and programs on and a 1Tb H/D (about 60% used) for all of the files and images and music.

I will reduce the pagefile down to whatever is the smallest that it will allow and see if that helps.
You shouldn’t have to mess with that. Unfortunately, sometimes you just need to start over with a fresh install to get the performance back. My laptop started slowing down and after a completely fresh install of Windows and apps, all was speedy again.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Thanks for the feedback so far.. I have two H/D in the laptop a 512GB SSD (about 165Gb free) which has the operating system and programs on and a 1Tb H/D (about 465Gb free) for all of the files and images and music.

You can do no page file.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Since you already have an ssd, what dgage said about the fresh install is probably going to be your best bet.

·
Registered
145 Posts
You've got great hardware there. Wife works with easily 20+ browser tabs open, running 10+ excel sheets multiple word docs even streams spotify once in a while and has 0 issues with slowing down and that's on a 3rd gen i5 (3450 I believe)with 32gb ram with 512gb ssd. I would absolutely start with a fresh install man.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will follow the advice of a fresh install - cheers.

·
Registered
51 Posts
In general, you're gonna want a paging file for when you run out of RAM, and your paging file should be at least as the size of your installed RAM. Windows should have an option to let it figure out the page file size and the default is let windows figure it out, I'd just set it back to that.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
In general, you're gonna want a paging file for when you run out of RAM, and your paging file should be at least as the size of your installed RAM. Windows should have an option to let it figure out the page file size and the default is let windows figure it out, I'd just set it back to that.
He's got 32 Gb of ram, if he runs out of ram then he has a massive problem.

·
Registered
51 Posts
He's got 32 Gb of ram, if he runs out of ram then he has a massive problem.
Typically yes, but I wouldn't make the assumption one is doing anything typical.

Could the laptop be overheating perhaps? I've seen symptoms as described that were caused by... well it could be a myriad of things hardware or software!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You could be onto something there, it does seem to be a high performance laptop. Maybe it just needs some dust blasted out of it.
The fan does do a fair bit of work. I have opened it up a few times and it seems reasonable clear/clean inside but I do wish I could have more air passing through as the fan (for me) is rather skinny but unlike my PC, I cannot change the fan size or fan speed.. pity really.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
The fan does do a fair bit of work. I have opened it up a few times and it seems reasonable clear/clean inside but I do wish I could have more air passing through as the fan (for me) is rather skinny but unlike my PC, I cannot change the fan size or fan speed.. pity really.
Have you used any of the free hardware monitoring programs to check your operating temperatures, cpu speeds, etc? Try SIV if you haven't.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts