DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got one HD600/4 installed under the passenger seat running the midbass and mids. I did the passenger seat first because it was the hardest by far.

I'm about to make another purchase which will be either another 600/4 and a 750/1 or a 900/5 for everything.

What I have left to amplify are my subs, center, and tweeters. I can't imagine needing more than 100w for the tweeters and center so I'm leaning toward the 900/5. That would be a nice 2 amp solution and both would fit under the seats. The goal was to take up zero trunk space. Any reason I shouldn't go with the 900/5 to power up the rest of the system? I asked around at AE and 500w should be plenty for both subs. I would really like both amps under the seats so the possiblity of theft is much lower. I think I found a spot to hide the MS8 behind the factory trunk carpeting. If I do this right, I'll have the full trunk including spar tire and the only loss in space from the entire system would be 7" from the subs.

Thanks for putting up with all of these similar questions.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way as hostile or anything.

If you already know you need just 100w for each of the drivers, and 500 for both subs, and don't want to take up trunk space, then what kind of question is this? Here, I'll help: GO AND BUY THE 900/5 :D

The only thing that would justify taking up trunk space with an amp/breaking your head on amp placement, etc. would be to have more headroom.... but seriously, 200wRMS on the 600/4 and 250wRMS more headROOM on the 750/1 ... is it really worth the possible headACHE?

900/5 all the way

·
Registered
226 Posts
I would say 900/5 also man. If it makes more sense, go with it :) the only reason I could see buying the 600/4 and 750/1 is if you planned on expanding in the future and needed the extra channels/power. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I just needed a little reassurance. 900/5 it is. I went from 75w to 150w and the music is so much more dynamic now. My main concern was headroom for the tweeters and center. The tweeters are 8ohm but the HD seems to handle the 8ohm load no different than a 4ohm load. That's one thing I love about these amps. On every amp I've used so far including the Zed Leviathan I had to turn the gains up a bit for the 8ohm midrange. For the HD, it makes no difference that it's 8ohm. In fact, I'm running less gain to the mids than I am to the 4ohm midbass. Maybe these amps are the perfect match for speakers with something other than the normal 2-4ohm loads.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Sweet deal man! As you can see I love JL's amps too :) my little bro just got a 500/1v2 for his 2 W1v2 12s. Convinced him to save up for a few months and get something he would be happy with and use again in the future. JL's amps have never given me issues and are impressive with how much clean power they produce!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yup, 900/5 all the way. WAY less complicated wiring and like you pointed out, space/safety benefits. For your install, I would run 100w to the tweeters and bridge a set for the center.

I just finished my first IB install (2 idqv.3 12's with 900/5) and they hardly move. Would be surprised if they are using 1/4 of the power. Your AE's are much more efficient and should work fine on 500w.

Now I'm gonna play devils advocate :) I know you plan on buying the new sbp15's and they need more power sooooooooo. Maybe the other route then?

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lol. I'll have to give the SBPs a second thought then. The IB15s are accounted for but I'm sure the buyer wouldn't mind a set of SBP15s instead.

Probably going to order the 900/5 on Friday. With the deal I'm getting on the 900/5 brand new, I can probably sell it used for the same price if it's not enough.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
JL amps only out 50% of its rated power when powering 8ohm drivers.....
But then with a clean 10W of power to your tweeters, it is more than enough to fry your ears....
I may consider keep the HD600/4 and bridge 2 channels for your sub, another 2 for your midbass and the rest powered by your MS-8's speaker outputs.....
I don't see there's any point to have more power on the amp but the gain are dialed to minimum and HU/MS-8 volume on lower side also....

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
JL amps only out 50% of its rated power when powering 8ohm drivers.....
But then with a clean 10W of power to your tweeters, it is more than enough to fry your ears....
I may consider keep the HD600/4 and bridge 2 channels for your sub, another 2 for your midbass and the rest powered by your MS-8's speaker outputs.....
I don't see there's any point to have more power on the amp but the gain are dialed to minimum and HU/MS-8 volume on lower side also....
That wouldn't be enough power. I also think the HD series put out full power to 8ohm drivers. There's a significant SPL difference between the 150w JL amp and the 150w Leviathan on the 8 ohm mids. They put out the same power from 1.5 to 4ohm, I don't see why they would put out significantly less to an 8ohm driver.

Sound quality has only improved every time I've added power. 9watts to my 8ohm mids and 8ohm tweeters won't cut it lol. I'll never run less than 150w to the midbass and 100 to the center and tweeters on any SQ system after the improvement in dynamics. I don't listen to it loud often but the additional power does make a nice difference.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you dig your amp's manual on this, you will know.... That's why I bought 750/1 for my 8ohm sub...
Still, the mids are much louder on the HD then the Lev, both are rated at the same power. There's something definitely different about the HD and all of the others I've used. Again, the gain for the mids always had to be cranked higher than the midbass. Now the gain for the mids are quite a bit lower than the midbass.

·
Registered
226 Posts
10 watt's for your tweeter? Why not?? ;) Mine get 150 passive with my mids... Anything less would just hurt my feelings :)

But seriously, I don't think that would be a good idea. Good clean amplified power would sound better than 10w from your MS-8. But looks like you've got the right idea anyway...

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
10 watt's for your tweeter? Why not?? ;) Mine get 150 passive with my mids... Anything less would just hurt my feelings :)

But seriously, I don't think that would be a good idea. Good clean amplified power would sound better than 10w from your MS-8. But looks like you've got the right idea anyway...
Agreed. Every time I've raised the power, the SQ has increased as well.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Still, the mids are much louder on the HD then the Lev, both are rated at the same power. There's something definitely different about the HD and all of the others I've used. Again, the gain for the mids always had to be cranked higher than the midbass. Now the gain for the mids are quite a bit lower than the midbass.
Well, if your mid's efficiency are few dB lower than your midbass, then it can be justify why crank higher = better SQ.
Wait, your mid are 8ohm, so the power to them are halfed.....

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, if your mid's efficiency are few dB lower than your midbass, then it can be justify why crank higher = better SQ.
Wait, your mid are 8ohm, so the power to them are halfed.....
The point is, the mids and tweeters are 8ohm, the midbass are 4ohm.

I've run them on a total of 5 amps and every amp but the HD required the gains on the mids to be cranked higher than the midbass to get the levels matched. With the HD, it's the opposite of the other amps. The mids require less gain to level match the rest of the system. Its almost as if the HD doesn't care if it's 2ohm or 8ohm.

·
Registered
226 Posts
The point is, the mids and tweeters are 8ohm, the midbass are 4ohm.

I've run them on a total of 5 amps and every amp but the HD required the gains on the mids to be cranked higher than the midbass to get the levels matched. With the HD, it's the opposite of the other amps. The mids require less gain to level match the rest of the system. Its almost as if the HD doesn't care if it's 2ohm or 8ohm.
Gotta love RIPS in JL amps... I've looked around on the internet to see if the power is halved since it is rated from 1.5-4 ohms, but haven't found much on it. I would suspect there would be a slight decrease, but based on your experience, I doubt it would be half. I'll be doing some 8 ohm/4 ohm sub configurations with a 500/1v2 here soon. It'll be interesting to see what the power output should be between running 1 at 8 ohms and 2 at 4 ohms. If it was half the power, I shouldn't have to adjust the gains at all between the 2 setups... hmm... something to post at a later time :)

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Gotta love RIPS in JL amps... I've looked around on the internet to see if the power is halved since it is rated from 1.5-4 ohms, but haven't found much on it. I would suspect there would be a slight decrease, but based on your experience, I doubt it would be half. I'll be doing some 8 ohm/4 ohm sub configurations with a 500/1v2 here soon. It'll be interesting to see what the power output should be between running 1 at 8 ohms and 2 at 4 ohms. If it was half the power, I shouldn't have to adjust the gains at all between the 2 setups... hmm... something to post at a later time :)
The manual does state the power is cut in half at 8ohms but it doesn't behave like that at all. I agree, there's probably some power decrease but not the 50% they state. It would be nice to see some tests done to know for sure.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/1127909-post21.html

Now Manville doesn't talk about impedances higher than 4 ohms, but we can figure out why that is. ;)

(Unless two channels are bridged where RIPS would then apply to a 3-8 ohm load range)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts