DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to keep my factory stereo, and add AUX input.

LC8i looks ideal, but I was wondering if it's worth getting a DSP for a car stereo instead?

·
Registered
519 Posts
Dayton audio DSP-408 is only $150 and offers A LOT more compared to the lc8i!

·
Registered
18,309 Posts
The LC8i is an OEM integration piece. Unfortunately these cheaper DSP's lack a lot of necessary features for integration into certain cars. That being said, it may be an option depending on the car.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The LC8i is an OEM integration piece. Unfortunately these cheaper DSP's lack a lot of necessary features for integration into certain cars. That being said, it may be an option depending on the car.
Civic 18 Hatchback. I just realized the LC8i also doesn't have the bass restoration feature... Maybe I'll keep my LC7i already installed?

I just wanted an aux input in addition to the LC7i. idk why this is so difficult.

·
Registered
18,309 Posts
Civic 18 Hatchback. I just realized the LC8i also doesn't have the bass restoration feature... Maybe I'll keep my LC7i already installed?

I just wanted an aux input in addition to the LC7i. idk why this is so difficult.
Do youself a favor and get a decent dsp with input eq. Itll make such a vast improvement over a fancy line out converter if used properly

·
Registered
18,309 Posts
Would like to be under $200

Smaller ones are preferable.

Currently will be in my glovebox. Have to run another Metra 9 conductor speaker cable to my trunk where the amp is if I want to place it there.
To be honest, that's not really possible for under 200

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Would like to be under $200

Smaller ones are preferable.

Currently will be in my glovebox. Have to run another Metra 9 conductor speaker cable to my trunk where the amp is if I want to place it there.
To be honest, that's not really possible for under 200

Found a used helix 6-8 for $250. Will this also do bass restoration? That was a big selling point of the audio control.

·
Registered
18,309 Posts
Found a used helix 6-8 for $250. Will this also do bass restoration? That was a big selling point of the audio control.
"Bass restoration" isnt a thing in anything besides audiocontrol products. If I remember correctly, Its not exactly an input equalizer, it just does some tricky (that I dont want to get into) to make it seem like it. Unless that's a different feature that I'm think of.. You want something with input eq. The first gen helix does not have input eq. The dsp.2 and dsp pro are the oldest ones by them with input eq.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
"Bass restoration" isnt a thing in anything besides audiocontrol products. If I remember correctly, Its not exactly an input equalizer, it just does some tricky (that I dont want to get into) to make it seem like it. Unless that's a different feature that I'm think of.. You want something with input eq. The first gen helix does not have input eq. The dsp.2 and dsp pro are the oldest ones by them with input eq.

Cheapest DSP you'd recommend for car audio?

Thinking about just keeping my LC7i and just dealing with the crappy Bluetooth.

Did find a fix-82 for $250 locally.. Bleh budget creeping up again.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts

You are in a similar boat as me, but it sounds like you already have the lc7. My car runs fiber optic so I have use some type of LOC or speakers level at the factory amp. I was going to go audio control, simply because they work for what I need, but down the line I want dsp. I am debating should I just find a dsp that allow speaker level connection or do I get the LC7 and then run that to a dsp.

If you really want the accubass feature, both the DM 608 and the dm 810 dsp from AC have it built in. I was looking at both of them, my local shop just cant tell much about them because they havent installed one yet. The store does Audio Control and JL audio. Most of their installs have been using the JL audio.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

You are in a similar boat as me, but it sounds like you already have the lc7. My car runs fiber optic so I have use some type of LOC or speakers level at the factory amp. I was going to go audio control, simply because they work for what I need, but down the line I want dsp. I am debating should I just find a dsp that allow speaker level connection or do I get the LC7 and then run that to a dsp.

If you really want the accubass feature, both the DM 608 and the dm 810 dsp from AC have it built in. I was looking at both of them, my local shop just cant tell much about them because they havent installed one yet. The store does Audio Control and JL audio. Most of their installs have been using the JL audio.
Yeah similar boat.

DM 608 also has the AptX Bluetooth add-on that I would love to use too.

Debating on biting the bullet or just leaving my setup as is.

If I have my Amp and DSP or LOC in the trunk, that means I need to run 2 things of 9 conductor speaker wire from my trunk to the dash right?

I have my LC7i in my glovebox at the moment. Wanted to wire everything up with posi taps to make sure everything works first.

But now if I go for a larger LOC or DSP combo, it's going to be too big for glovebox. So I think that means running more cable to the trunk? Is that what everybody does?

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Doesn't a Civic have noise cancelling mic/speaker output? ANC?

Sorta ruins the fun for audio, no? Ruined it for the Acura ILX I own.

·
Registered
18,309 Posts
Doesn't a Civic have noise cancelling mic/speaker output? ANC?

Sorta ruins the fun for audio, no? Ruined it for the Acura ILX I own.
Im pretty sure its only accords, but the new ones might have it. That said, all you do is unplug the ANC module. Done, problem fixed

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)

What would you recommend if the budget was $400ish?

Learning more about all this everyday.

Would the JL Fix 88 be more useful for my 18 Civic?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
1 - 20 of 69 Posts