DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
"Authentic to the Music"
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a little more reading on ribbons and found some talk of the fountek Neo's.

So my question is, for $290 (New, maybe a little less if I can a used set) for the 108/110 from Npdang vs. $162 for the Fountek NeoCD3 from Speaker City plus shipping for both, is it worth it to spend the extra 128 bux for the 108/110 over the NeoCD3's?

I've read a few post and from what Npdang has said the 108/110 are a little more dynamic with a slight better sense of space and has significantly better vertical dispersion. but the Neo3CD has better low end extenison.

Now pro's for both/for my setup, con's would be whatever the other does list as a pro:

Fountek NeoCD3:

Pro's

1. Price
2. Better Low end extenison (not at all important to me)
3. Looks to be not as deep of the 108/110 (do anyone know the depth of it)
4. If I go with a A-pillar or dash mounting postion the limited vertical dispersion may help with early reflection from the windshield. Not so good for kick panel mounting.

LCY 108/110:

Pro's

1. Slightly better dynamics
2. Slightly better sense of space
3. Significantly better vertical dispersion, not bad, but not the best if I go with dash or A-pillar mounting, but helps if I go with kick panel mounting.
4. Off axis response (60+)is as good as a dome tweeter.
5. Slightly smoother response
6. With the black face plate these things are just sexy. So great looks

So for those of you who has used or heard both, is the extra money for the 108/110 worth it in preformance? Now just by looking at what I've listed above I would be moved to say yes, but I have no experience with either or for that fact any ribbons. Now on looks, the LCY 108 hands down.

Also has anyone heard or used the Sony XES S2 ribbon tweeters.

I most say since I became a member early this month, this has become my most reseached and read forum. Great job to Npdang and every member here. Keep up the great work.

Thanks for all the help in advance.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I've never heard the Neo3 but have read about it. I'd say go for the LCY's because it requires less tweaking on the crossover to sound right. It's naturally very smooth and doesn't require as much tweaking to get it to sound the way you want it. Hmmm.... and I never knew Sony made ribbons too lol.

·
"Authentic to the Music"
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cotdt said:
I've never heard the Neo3 but have read about it. I'd say go for the LCY's because it requires less tweaking on the crossover to sound right. It's naturally very smooth and doesn't require as much tweaking to get it to sound the way you want it. Hmmm.... and I never knew Sony made ribbons too lol.
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, Sony made some very end ones and small for caraudio that was part of the the XES Z50 setup. Very rare and hard to find.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I had a chance to demo the sony XES ribbons a while back. They are indeed very small, and sound very good. However, they are not ribbons but planars, which is why they are able to be so small. I would take that planar over any dome tweeter any day though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts