DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am most likely going with a 2 way setup to start using the LCY 130 ribbon tweeter and im trying to decide on a mid,,,,

either the SEAS w18ex or the Peerless HDS or CSX,,

is it worth spending the extra money for the SEAS or will the output and SQ be comparable,,,

·
Registered
242 Posts
I wouldn't suggest going with the Seas W18ex001 in a 2 way configuration with the Lcy. The Lcy can't really be crossed much below 2k and the W18ex001 can't be crossed much higher than 2k. You will be very limited in your xover points. Npdang doesn't have the lCy130's he has a larger format ribbon that's good down to 1k. He has alot more flexibilty with his setup. I would recommend good efficiency driver with capable low end that can crossed a higher than the w18. However if you're set solid on playing the w18 to 2k and the lcy to 2k-ish than this setup might be a good option for you. If money is an issue and cosmetics can be overlooked, i would highly recommend the Dayton 7's.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Another viable option would be the Peerless Exclusives. They're very detailed adn revealing similar to seas but i would categorize them as a bit more agressive / edgy sounding. They're a bit more efficient than the Seas, half the cost, and could be crossed higher than the Seas if i remember correctly.

·
Registered
415 Posts
the LCY's dont play perfectly ~2khz but thell do it fine - most other tweeters will stress around/under this point as well. They sound fully comfortable at 2.5khz on a 24db electrical slope.

with that said, the W18's should play fine up to 2khz (electrical) but you wont need them xovered that high if you plan the xover the tweeter at 2.5khz - maybe 1.8khz would be the highest but it seriously depends on the car, install, and taste..

all it takes is a little tuning (and the right install) and it will sound really good. id personally do this setup if i was planning a 2-way configuration - and so would NpDang!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation. That's exactly what I was planing. Then, possibly a mid later. Then good amps...

10K2HVN said:
the LCY's dont play perfectly ~2khz but thell do it fine - most other tweeters will stress around/under this point as well. They sound fully comfortable at 2.5khz on a 24db electrical slope.

with that said, the W18's should play fine up to 2khz (electrical) but you wont need them xovered that high if you plan the xover the tweeter at 2.5khz - maybe 1.8khz would be the highest but it seriously depends on the car, install, and taste..

all it takes is a little tuning (and the right install) and it will sound really good. id personally do this setup if i was planning a 2-way configuration - and so would NpDang!

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
You can certainly mate a w18 with the lcy's. Shoot for about 2.5khz crossover point. Just realize that past 1.5khz or so is outside the W18's "ideal" performance. It's not a big deal in a car though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts