DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I built my first box a few weeks back for my 10w3. I effed up when cutting the hole out and made the hole a hair too big. Long story short, I could only get half the tnuts to catch and hold and it's clear that there is no seal on the sub... I can hear a hiss/woosh when I push it in.

Question is, (a) will this damage the sub and (b) how much better will it sound with a new, properly sealed box. Admittedly I am a little disappointed with my new sub.

Also, are ther any other options than tnuts that might work? I don't really want to build another box?

Thanks.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also. What do you guys set your high pass/low pass filters at?

I think right now I am at 65 for the Imagines and 50 for the W3.

Would someone care to explain the 'slope' when setting the low pass? My options are 12db or 24db I believe.

·
Registered
114 Posts
A 3/8" bead of butyl rubber tape around the flange seat might work, but if the hole is oversized enough to miss half the bolts... you probably need to replace the baffle.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They didnt totally miss. I just couldn't get them to stay in. Very frustrating.

I might try to glue the nuts in place and see if that works.

·
Registered
126 Posts
They didnt totally miss. I just couldn't get them to stay in. Very frustrating.

I might try to glue the nuts in place and see if that works.
Any way you can cut another board to go over the mounting plate that your speaker hole is currently in? You could make it the same LxW and glue n' screw then make the hole the right size.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not really. It's in the back of a regular cab truck. There's maybe 1/8th of an inch between the corner of the box and my seat.

·
Registered
274 Posts
The best way to fix this is to get a piece of MDF and cap the front of the box. Cut new holes and be done with it. Trying a bunch of BS to fix things like this is putting a band-aid on a broken leg.

Plus if you cap the front the box will be that much stronger.....tell peeps you did it on purpose and never let anyone know different.

Good luck.

~JH

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Hey Allan, can you post a pic(s) of the enclosure? Helps provide a better understanding of the dilemma at hand. Thanx in advance.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can probably get some up tonight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts