DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't even really know what the proper audio terminlogy to use for this.

I'm trying to decide if I'm going to buy a 2 channel or 4 channel amp this weekend.

I can save some money by going with a 150x2 for my components or I can go with a 4 channel to have the flexibility to go active down the road. I've read some threads here and there about it, but nothing to comprehend it with any confidence. (On a sidenote I already have a mono amp for a sub so there will be no need to bridge 4-channel)

Does anyone know if there is a book or website to systematically learn tuning, eqing...etc in a straightforward and easy way?

I don't want to look back down the road if/when I have more car audio knowledge and say I should have gone 4 channel. And in the same sense I don't want to waste money when a passive system may always serve my needs.

I'll throw this in if it's any use at all. I have an Eclipse 8445 stereo which has a 7 band eq and time alignment features which I have no idea how to use.

Thanks...Charlie

·
Registered
9,368 Posts
Remember that a poorly tuned active set up can sound WAY worse than a passive setup. Just because you go active doesn't automatically mean it'll sound better.

On that note, I'd buy a decent 4 channel. You can bridge it to you passives and if you decide to go active you'll have the channels available. Just know that the tuning/eq etc. Is a big part of the hobby, if you aren't willing to experiment and have your stuff sound like hell from time to time, you might want to stick with passive.

I'm not saying you can't do it, just be aware that getting an active system dialed in takes a lot of time even for an experienced person. I figured, "what the hell" and dove in head first. It's been fun, but very frustrating at times.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts