DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting some LED strips in my car and I'm new to this so I need some help. Here's my set up: I will have 3 different circuits; under my dash and under my seats (4 strips), all 4 doors (4 strips), and my trunk (2 strips). I want the ones under my dash and seats wired into my gauge lights. I want the ones under the doors wired so that they come on when i open the doors. I want the ones in my trunk wired into my trunk light. They are RGB with a remote so i will have to included an IR sensor in each circuit. I also want to include an override switch for each circuit that will allow me to turn them on, off, or allow the electrical system to control them. Each circuit will be fused, what size should i use? What all do i need for this and how exactly do i do it? What kind of override switch do i need? Do i need capacitors? Do I need resistors? Thanks.

I have a 2002 Pontiac Grand Am SE with a 2.2L Ecotec and a 12V electrical system if that helps.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Not to sound condescending, but do you know how to identify the proper circuits that you will need to accomplish this?

What are the specs for current draw with the strips you are using?

·
Banned
2,535 Posts
I'm putting some LED strips in my car and I'm new to this so I need some help. Here's my set up: I will have 3 different circuits; under my dash and under my seats (4 strips), all 4 doors (4 strips), and my trunk (2 strips). I want the ones under my dash and seats wired into my gauge lights. I want the ones under the doors wired so that they come on when i open the doors. I want the ones in my trunk wired into my trunk light. They are RGB with a remote so i will have to included an IR sensor in each circuit. I also want to include an override switch for each circuit that will allow me to turn them on, off, or allow the electrical system to control them. Each circuit will be fused, what size should i use? What all do i need for this and how exactly do i do it? What kind of override switch do i need? Do i need capacitors? Do I need resistors? Thanks.

I have a 2002 Pontiac Grand Am SE with a 2.2L Ecotec and a 12V electrical system if that helps.

Just based off your questions, i would take to the local car audio shop and pay someone to do it...

IMHO

·
Registered
896 Posts
Just based off your questions, i would take to the local car audio shop and pay someone to do it...

IMHO
^^X2

·
Wave Shepherd
2,408 Posts

I'm with the other guys above. It sounds like you are trying to accomplish a bit more than we can help you with by typing alone. You would benefit from having someone local walk you through the steps if you can find the help, or having a shop do it for you.

If you really really want to learn how to do this yourself, read as much of the material from the bcae1.com website as you have patience for and that will be a good way to start. Then you can ask more detailed questions here about things you do not understand.

CIRCUIT
Switches
Series vs Parallel Electrical Connections
Resistors
Light Emitting Diodes (LED)
Using a Test Light

-J

1 - 6 of 6 Posts