DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been out of car audio for about 20 years and recently jumped back in. My current equipment is Pioneer 4660, focal integration 165, and I just bought a pair GB12 that run 2 ohms together. I currently have a kicker key running my front's active at 50x4. I want to replace the key and possibly add a pair of GB25 in pods on the a pillar location. I'm also adding a Dayton dsp.

I'm looking at 3 amps:
Pioneer GM-DX975. 75x4 600x1 at 2.
RF power T1000X5ad. 100x4 600x1 at 2.
Focal FPX 5.1200. 75x4 720x1 at 2.

I've read that the tweeters don't actually use much power. I have a PPI (precision power) ProMOS 25 (25x2) and a Art Series (25x2) from back in the day.

If I buy one of the amp's listed above, would one of my old PPI 25x2 amp's (or three MTX) be adequate for running my tweeters? I also have an MTX RT2100X (50×2). I'd like to use the 4 channels from the new 5 channel amp to run my door mids and the GB25's.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
50x2 would run them fine or more power... which the tweeters would never see because the gain knob would be turned down, or the DSP would be levelling out the high notes.

Whatever amp has the lowest noise would be what you probbaly end up using... particularly if one amp hisses like a snake, you will likely end up moving that one to a channel where the hiss is no longer distressing.

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
Might be time to pump the brakes a little. Yes the tweeters in your focal set can run on less watts. BUT....your GB12's will do much better with their own amp, so i would ditch the idea of a 5 channel. The GB25 does not need a ton of power either.

The GB12's are D2's? Get them their own amp...1000x1 @2ohm.

Front 3 way, i would run the Promos 25 on the mids, and buy a 4 channel for the GB25 and tweeters...25x4 is plenty. Find a matching PPI amp, maybe a 4100am :)

Reactions: Holmz

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Might be time to pump the brakes...

The GB12's are D2's? Get them their own amp...1000x1 @2ohm.

Front 3 way, i would run the Promos 25 on the mids, and buy a 4 channel for the GB25 and tweeters...25x4 is plenty. Find a matching PPI amp, maybe a 4100am :)
There's an idea! Yes, they're D2's. Ove decided on a pair of Unity 8's running from 300 to 20k. I'll throw the ProMos on the mids and the Art series on the widebands. That allows me to spend the money on a 1k sub amp.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@miniSQ I just encountered a snafu. The input voltages aren't comparable. ProMos is .3-2V. The art series maxes at 2.5V. My head unit puts out 4 V and I'm not sure about the output of the Dayton dsp.

·
Registered
404 Posts
@miniSQ I just encountered a snafu. The input voltages aren't comparable. ProMos is .3-2V. The art series maxes at 2.5V. My head unit puts out 4 V and I'm not sure about the output of the Dayton dsp.
Whether you're using the headunit crossover or the Dayton dsp before the tweeter amp, don't believe you'll ever see anything close to voltages that will clip amp inputs. You can measure if you want to be sure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts