DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm talking real hip hop artists not rappers. Insightful or original lyrics, with good rhymes and a different sound. No Lil' Wayne, even though I do like his rhymes and baselines, or Kanye with exceptions like Eminem in his early years of "Infinite" when his music was real.

I'll start

-Pigeon John
-RA Tha Rugged Man, or just Rugged Man
-The Micranots
-Tonedef
-Aceyalone
-Atmosphere
-Classified
-Flobot
-Haiku D Etat, or Haiku De Tat
-Jedi Mind Tricks
-Josh Martinez
-Medaphoar
-NoCanDo
-Birdapres

·
Registered
228 Posts
anything from the doomtree crew- most notably sims, cecil otter, and p.o.s.
+1, and Dessa, I love Dessa.

Sage Francis
Aesop Rock
Solilaquists of Sound
Hieroglyphics
Blackalicious

·
Registered
796 Posts
Aesop Rock, Antipop Consortium, Artifacts, Astonautalis, Blue Scholars, Cannibal Ox, Company Flow, Dead Prez, Eligh, Freestyle Fellowship, Hell Razah, High and Mighty, Jeru the Damaja, J-Live, Kardinal Official, Killah Priest, K'Naan, Kool G Rap, K-Os, Little Brother, MF Doom, MF Grimm, Mr. Lif, Nesby Phips, Organized Konfusion, Spose, Sunz of Man, Typical Cats, Wordsworth, Zion I

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
I'm talking real hip hop artists not rappers. Insightful or original lyrics, with good rhymes and a different sound. No Lil' Wayne, even though I do like his rhymes and baselines, or Kanye with exceptions like Eminem in his early years of "Infinite" when his music was real.

I'll start

-Pigeon John
-RA Tha Rugged Man, or just Rugged Man
-The Micranots
-Tonedef
-Aceyalone
-Atmosphere
-Classified
-Flobot
-Haiku D Etat, or Haiku De Tat
-Jedi Mind Tricks
-Josh Martinez
-Medaphoar
-NoCanDo
-Birdapres
Any true fan of the art knows that good hip hop has no categories. I'm not taking anyone on your list over an album like "The Chronic", no matter how commercial it maybe .

Stay away from the hip hop hipsters.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys. I'm looking to broaden my music collection and I like hearing things I never have before. I love old school. It's what I grew up on. But underground just has a different sound and it's not all about cocaine and bitches.

·
Registered
19,902 Posts
Hopsin!!!!!!!!!!!1 and the rest of Funk Volume (SwiZzZ, Dizzy Wright, ect..) .
Celph Titled, Apathy, Esoteric and the rest of the Demigodz and Army of the Pharaohs

Hopsin, Celph Titled, and Apathy are honestly some of the best out there today and no one knows them for only god knows what reason.

Look up Stop what ya doin, by Apathy ft. Celph Titled... Ill mind of hopsin 4/5, blood energy potion, Funk Volume 2012, by Hopsin... Independent Livin by Dizzy Wright
Swizzy Wright, by Swizzz and Dizzy Wright.. Seven, Spaz out, and Swords Drawn, By Army of the Pharaohs .. so many more i cant think of right now

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I've been listening to Kendrick Lamar's new album. I'm pretty much out of the loop on new hip-hop, but i have a feeling this one is different than most out right now.
Executive producer is Dr. Dre, so that always helps.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Just bought Kendrick's album as well. Haven't sat down and listened to the whole thing yet, but i think it's a pretty good one as well.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Any true fan of the art knows that good hip hop has no categories. I'm not taking anyone on your list over an album like "The Chronic", no matter how commercial it maybe .

Stay away from the hip hop hipsters.
I'm not hatin on anybody with skills. I grew up with The Chronic and Doggy Style, Eazy E and the likes. I love rap/hip hop, but underground/lesser known/unpaid artists have something to add to the genre that overpaid/well known artists seem to have no interest in doing. Just an example, I'm not an American car guy, but I can appreciate any car that someone has put their blood sweat and tears into. Once someone has a "million" dollar contract to build cars it doesn't change their quality of work, Could only improve it due to the budget and time allowance. This thread is about sharing artists that most people will never be exposed to.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I've been listening to Kendrick Lamar's new album. I'm pretty much out of the loop on new hip-hop, but i have a feeling this one is different than most out right now.
Executive producer is Dr. Dre, so that always helps.
It is.

One of the best albums of the year to date.

Along with
Nas - life is good
Currensy - the stoned immaculate

1 - 20 of 161 Posts