DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says... Do you enjoy an upmixed center channel and why or why not? And rear fill same question... Do you enjoy rear fill and why or why not?

·
Registered
2015 BMW i3
180 Posts
I like my center channel, but I do feel it's a bit like cheating lol. I'm on the fence regarding rear fill; in my car I feel like it widens the stage a little, but I've been considering repurposing those channels to make the front L&R active.

·
Registered
2013 VW CC
464 Posts
When should a center channel be used? When no matter what you can’t get a centered image?

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
When should a center channel be used? When no matter what you can’t get a centered image?
When it is important to you, as the owner and driver of the vehicle, that other passengers in your vehicle ALSO get a centered image which cannot be done with time alignment and tuning alone.

·
Registered
2013 VW CC
464 Posts
When it is important to you, as the owner and driver of the vehicle, that other passengers in your vehicle ALSO get a centered image which cannot be done with time alignment and tuning alone.
I never thought about that! My passengers just have to deal with it lol

·
Registered
2013 VW CC
464 Posts
When shooting for a 2 seat tune. For a typical SQ setup, a single listening position being the priority, a center channel offers little to no value at all.
When shooting for a 2 seat tune. For a typical SQ setup, a single listening position being the priority, a center channel offers little to no value at all.
yeah, I couldn’t imagine it helping when the image is allready centered. My car has a spot for one and I constantly have to cover it up to prove to people there is no speaker there 😂

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Why do you need a center channel? Well mostly to convince your wife that spending $4k on a car stereo was well worth it. Have you ever worked your butt off getting things dialed in perfectly just to have someone sit in the passengers seat and tell you your stereo sounds like ****? With a push of a preset button I can eliminate that soul sucking comment.

Ge0

Reactions: Cutaway and Selkec

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I like my center channel, but I do feel it's a bit like cheating lol. I'm on the fence regarding rear fill; in my car I feel like it widens the stage a little, but I've been considering repurposing those channels to make the front L&R active.
Don't wait, go fully active on the fronts now, it's much better than rear fill.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Why do you need a center channel? Well mostly to convince your wife that spending $4k on a car stereo was well worth it. Have you ever worked your butt off getting things dialed in perfectly just to have someone sit in the passengers seat and tell you your stereo sounds like ****? With a push of a preset button I can eliminate that soul sucking comment.

Ge0
To hell with the picky passengers, they can walk! :)

·
Registered
2013 VW CC
464 Posts
Absolutely!!! Fully active is the only way to do it! You won’t need a center for a centered image. If you haven’t heard an active system you should! Passive vs active there not even in the same league! No comparison

·
Registered
42 Posts
i've been curious about different Center setup options and am curious if there would be any difference in performance in the below?
  1. a pair of speakers running off two separate channels
  2. Tweeter & Mid combo (Separate Channels)
  3. Single Speaker - Single Channel

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Active up front and rear fill. Current and previous vehicle I've run 3 way active front with rear fill, for me I like how it widens the stage and gives a little extra ambience. The rears have to be set to correctly though which takes a good bit of trial and error.

·
Registered
17 Posts
IMHO a good center channel Needs an upmixer to get the most out of it..... You can do a lot with time Alignment but it does have limitations.
One of the reasons I've been looking very hard at the Eton DSP 7.1 Amp.

I love rear fill in a larger cab! Like a full size truck or large 4 door sedan. But in a mustang or similar a bare minimum 🤣.

I also much prefer using another component midbass driver in the rear vs a coaxial even if you leave the Tweeters/passive out. Coaxials sound so tinney to me.

·
Registered
2013 VW CC
464 Posts
Active up front and rear fill. Current and previous vehicle I've run 3 way active front with rear fill, for me I like how it widens the stage and gives a little extra ambience. The rears have to be set to correctly though which takes a good bit of trial and error.
I kinda want to try rear fill now that the front sounds great.
what is the typical recommended
Size, location and passband they should play?

·
Registered
2013 VW CC
464 Posts
IMHO a good center channel Needs an upmixer to get the most out of it..... You can do a lot with time Alignment but it does have limitations.
One of the reasons I've been looking very hard at the Eton DSP 7.1 Amp.

I love rear fill in a larger cab! Like a full size truck or large 4 door sedan. But in a mustang or similar a bare minimum 🤣.

I also much prefer using another component midbass driver in the rear vs a coaxial even if you leave the Tweeters/passive out. Coaxials sound so tinney to me.
rear fill doesn’t play down into the midbass frequency range does it?
I thought I read it is around 300hz to ?
Would using the same midbass as the front stage or midrange be a better option

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
what is the typical recommended
Size, location and passband they should play?
No need for them to be big or matched to the fronts, my last rear fill was originally some Alpine Type R coaxials, then some CDT ES02 and now it's some Dayton RS75. If I remember correctly, mine play from 600Hz to 3000Hz, 18ms delay.

I've found that higher and further back works better, stock location in rear doors was not really worth it (Alpine coax) but that up at the sides of the trunk, I have a wagon, there's a little shelf area to the sides of where the roll up cargo cover goes, works nicely. In a sedan, up on the rear deck should work well.

·
Registered
2013 VW CC
464 Posts
No need for them to be big or matched to the fronts, my last rear fill was originally some Alpine Type R coaxials, then some CDT ES02 and now it's some Dayton RS75. If I remember correctly, mine play from 600Hz to 3000Hz, 18ms delay.

I've found that higher and further back works better, stock location in rear doors was not really worth it (Alpine coax) but that up at the sides of the trunk, I have a wagon, there's a little shelf area to the sides of where the roll up cargo cover goes, works nicely. In a sedan, up on the rear deck should work well.
Are they at a lower volume that the front stage?
I could put some 3” in the rear doors like I have my fronts.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Like Naiku indicated, to integrate with front stage by ONLY adding a sense of ambiance, rear fill must be:

mounted high as possible
band passed from around 300 to 3000,
delayed at least 15ms from front stage,
definitely volume attenuated

In short, you should not be HEARING the rear speakers, but rather sensing a wider and deeper ambiance that complements the front stage.
It can only be done well with proper processing power.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
For rear fill do you think GB25 or wideband GS25? Recommended frequencies? Thanks Dave

1 - 20 of 44 Posts