DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All, I thought I would share my journey on replacing my current 6.5" MB door drivers with something totally different and off the wall. and since @jimmydee ( a newly minted moderator) is from my local car audio community I thought I was share out my effort to support some content from the Canuk contingent. So here we go.

Previous setup:

Car: 2015 Yaris - restrain the laughter please ;)
Front stage:
tweeter - Brax GL1
Mid - Brx GL3
MB - Brax GL6

I was really happy with this setup. Unfortunately I was finding that for what I like the 6.5" was just not quite keeping up physically. So I started looking at solutions. I like keeping speakers within a family sound and design principals.

After much deliberation, humming and hawing and theorizing I knew I wanted to try an 8" driver up front.

After more analysis paralysis and head scratching I made my decision in collaboration with MSC Canada.

I decided to make the jump to the ML8-Mid. In my mind it would fit and I could make it work. It is a beautiful driver and I had super high expectations assumingI held up my end of the deal doing it justice in the install.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Next I needed a design. Something that would fit and be something I could build.

I explored mounting it to the door IB but I ruled that out after some investigation and Vulcan logic. I new in the back of my mind I was wanting a sealed enclosure on my doors and that is what I was going to do.

I bought a router and learned to use it reasonable well and I needed to buy a new jigsaw because my other one broke in half cutting 1" think Baltic birch plywood.

The enclosure specification I wanted to target was 15 liters and I got super close landing at 14 liters in the end. WINSD showed a marginal difference and in the end that proved true.

The enclosure material was going to be entirely made of Baltic birch, be sealed and be bolted to the inner metal door skin with not cutting and hitting a interior volume of 14L.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now I was able to route some mounting area for the sides and attach the sides including gluing the end caps together.

I also mounted the bottom piece. Everything is glued together and clamped.

Attachments

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dry fitting the ML8 and wanting it as far forward as possible to have vertical alignment with my front stage which is important to me. It was balance of car dash clearance and as far forward as possible

Attachments

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
They look amazing!! I'm guessing the hard part begins now? :)

·
Premium Member
2016 Mazda 6 GT
1,979 Posts
The suspense is killing me! Beautiful craftswomanship!

Reactions: AudioGal

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And mounting to the door and cutting the interior plastic door panel. This was done with a jigsaw, Dremel and tin snips. the tin snips worked the best. There is a lot of compound curves (no flat spots) so it took a lot of time (hours) .

The good news is it fit and no adjustment was needed. my prep work and test fitting really paid off here.

Attachments

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the enclosure assembled and attached to the door. I used magnets to attach the grill to the enclosure which has been working fabulously.

I could play tunes for the first time and OMGosh I was totally blown away with what I was hearing even with a sub-optimal tune. Night and day from a door IB install.

Attachments

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK time to cover , almost there. I used a single piece of carpet for the enclosure no seams and a single piece of vinyl for the grills. First time doing all of this so it was exciting and nerve wrecking.

I am super happy with the final results.

Attachments

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So that is my epic adventure and I could not be happier with the final results. Everything across the SQ board is improved and the sealed enclosure in the door is amazing. there is absolutely almost zero vibration from the enclosure its self and nothing at all into the doors what so ever. the lack of door resonance is just ear opening to say the least. I could get into more details if any body is interested and/or curious.

the bonus is I learned new tools and skills and would be willing to try more complex builds in the future :)

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They look amazing!! I'm guessing the hard part begins now? :)
LOL ya it sure did but I changed my mind about 50 times on the enclosure design before the light went off. I say I hated trimming the door is an understatement!. Now that I have an idea what I am doing the 3rd Door will be perfect, LOL!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Full enclosure with no fiberglass, love it. Maybe I'm dense but I don't see how the box is mounted to the door?
Ya I made it a mission to not use fiberglass and i am not convinced it does any favors acoustically unless done very very very well. Plus I like working with wood and i could make it work and maximize the interior volume.

You not be dense, lol. I forgot to mention that I used threaded nutserts (5/16) to rivet mount to the enclosure to the door and it is solid. I can rock the car lifting on the enclosure.

I also mass dampened the enclosure with some sound mat and I put some poly-fill in as well for good measure.

1 - 20 of 148 Posts