DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 265 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
That's great! I have heard your car and have a really nice computer setup with USB DAC and powered Acoustic Energy speakers. I could pick up the cues in tonality that your car exhibits for sure! Of course your car sounds better, but mine has more bass:p

I will try to post up mine tomorrow for grins!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's great! I have heard your car and have a really nice computer setup with USB DAC and powered Acoustic Energy speakers. I could pick up the cues in tonality that your car exhibits for sure! Of course your car sounds better, but mine has more bass:p

I will try to post up mine tomorrow for grins!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Yupz, I think it would be fun to be able to hear everyone's cars, from successful competitors to someone just learning about sq, since most of us will never get a chance to demo their cars, we could at least get a small glimpse of the car's tonality. :)

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
What are you recording the video with?

Camcorder or cell?

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
I think the microphones used are going to be the limiting factor with this.

What I was thinking...

Like how many of these vids are on youtube? :laugh:

Love the HU though...

·
the darkside is loud
6,092 Posts
Though not perfect, the mics in today's digital cameras are amazing at what they can capture including the very highs and the very lows.

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR

·
Registered
41 Posts
I know nothing about cameras, videos, compression, computer speakers, or car stereos, but I'm going to guess that there are a whole lotta variables that are going to affect me hearing how good another person's system sounds through a video.

That being said, I would love to see a "tour" of a system: Show me the head unit, the amps, the speakers, the enclosures, the wiring, whatever. Narrate if you want, caption the pieces while the music is playing if you choose.

I think that would be cool.

·
18,699 Posts
I would love to see a "tour" of a system: Show me the head unit, the amps, the speakers, the enclosures, the wiring, whatever. Narrate if you want, caption the pieces while the music is playing if you choose.

Agreed. Was about to say the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone. Pardon the grammar.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know nothing about cameras, videos, compression, computer speakers, or car stereos, but I'm going to guess that there are a whole lotta variables that are going to affect me hearing how good another person's system sounds through a video.

That being said, I would love to see a "tour" of a system: Show me the head unit, the amps, the speakers, the enclosures, the wiring, whatever. Narrate if you want, caption the pieces while the music is playing if you choose.

I also know NOTHING about cameras or videos either. :) I know there are many variable that affects how it sounds through a video. But like ppi-art said, I feel that a normal digital camera can catch alot of the essence of a system.

But the intention of this thread wasn't for it to be a competition of some sort. NOt to see whose is better.

My gf was over, and i borrowed her small digi camera, recorded a few clips and went to play it on my bose... yes BOSE computer speakers! hehe and it kinda hear the sonics signature of my car.

So I thought it would be neat to start this thread. There are MANY forum members on here, that I would LOVE to be able to demo their car one day, but the chances are slim that I would ever be able to. So I thought it would be fun to at least get a small "Glimpse" of what it would sound like tonally.

Again, the purpose of the thread is not to judge anyone's car, I just thought it would be a fun thread.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Agreed. Was about to say the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone. Pardon the grammar.
Im not that high tech like you Erin, I do not know how to narrate with a caption, etc. LOL Im somewhat computer illiterate. But next time I get a chance, maybe I can video the install.

·
18,699 Posts
Chad, I wasn't even talking about anything that serious. Just a basic walkthrough of the system. Like a video build log. Just say "here's my headunit, here's my amps", etc.

I like the idea of this thread. It's kind of cool. I agree that many may be making more of this than need be. The only real issue is those who may not really understand that a video of a system's sound performance may not really be indicative of how it sounds in real life.

Regardless, like I said, it's cool if for no other reason than to provide a video guide of the system. In fact, I'm going to do it myself and try to explain some of what I did and why I did it. So, thanks for the motivation. Hopefully others will join in and we can all have some good explanation of folks' rationale for what they did and why.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
Something like so, but with more quality music? (although an Audionutz RockNutz CD being played)

Made using my HTC phone, no tuning on the system, no gain on the subs at all... lol...

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Chad, I wasn't even talking about anything that serious. Just a basic walkthrough of the system. Like a video build log. Just say "here's my headunit, here's my amps", etc.

I like the idea of this thread. It's kind of cool. I agree that many may be making more of this than need be. The only real issue is those who may not really understand that a video of a system's sound performance may not really be indicative of how it sounds in real life.

Regardless, like I said, it's cool if for no other reason than to provide a video guide of the system. In fact, I'm going to do it myself and try to explain some of what I did and why I did it. So, thanks for the motivation. Hopefully others will join in and we can all have some good explanation of folks' rationale for what they did and why.

:thumbsup:
Cool man. You know your car is one of those people's cars that Id love to hear one day. Maybe I'll attend one of your G2G, or a meca event you go to one day when school allows. ;)

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Something like so, but with more quality music? (although an Audionutz RockNutz CD being played)

Made using my HTC phone, no tuning on the system, no gain on the subs at all... lol...
You know I LOVE the audionutz collection right? ;)

Man I love your dash, I am a sucker for jumping EQ lights!! great job man!

·
18,699 Posts
I just shot a 10 min video of mine. Probably only about 1 minute of music, though, lol.

Uploading now.

Side Note: One never realizes how weird they are until they video themselves.

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
You know I LOVE the audionutz collection right? ;)

Man I love your dash, I am a sucker for jumping EQ lights!! great job man!

Didn't know that... lol..

Alas, the 701 is sold and I'm trying to sell the 9860... Too much BS for me to deal with in a car with no AC and an exhaust that rattles the garage...

I'm simply NOT going to sit for hours tuning the thing...

But thank you...

·
Registered
172 Posts
A video i shot this morning. There are quite a few others there as well from the previous headunit.

I moved the camera around a bit towards the end to show how the sound changes depending on the position.

System setup, completely analogue with no DSP/EQ/TA:
DRX9255 headunit running into an Alpine 3672 active crossover
Midbass, Rear fill and sub powered by an alpine 3566 6 ch amp
Mids and tweets powered by an Alpine 3553 4 ch amp.

Midbass drivers are Alpine 6062GD
Mids are Vifa TG9
Tweeters are Vifa XT25
Rear Fill are Infinity reference 9613i (were off for the video, only there for rear passengers)
Sub is a single 10" in a 1.5cu.ft ported box tuned to 32Hz

Crossover settings are
Sub LPF 55Hz @ +3dB
Low BPF 50Hz - 400Hz @ 0dB
Mid BPF 400Hz - 3.2KHz @ -3dB
High HPF 3.2KHz @ 0dB
Rear BPF 100Hz - 3.5KHz @ -6dB

The rest of my Videos are here.

1 - 20 of 265 Posts