DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Vendor
21,113 Posts
2 things..

1) you are adjusting phase based off of the electrical signal. To be honestly, I really didn't read through all of this, but based on what it seems like you are doing, you may be correcting something that is just not there.

2) you can (kinda) do this in the helix software already... see below

Font Line Rectangle Slope Mesh

Slope Line Font Rectangle Parallel

Reactions: lpreston and vactor

·
Vendor
21,113 Posts
Phac is purely electrical and not taking any acoustics into account or the influence of the cabin into account, so for me it’s a bit useless unless you happen to place crossovers in a minimum phase area ie the cabin has zero influence over the phase (highly unlikely)

it also assumes speaker phase is flat… it’s not and the midrange of the audio spectrum is always lagging from a driver and the sub bass and treble always leads

for want of a better description if you have a perfectly aligned two way home audio speaker the phase will generally look like a smiley face varying by 180 degrees at either end

So again phac doesn’t take the above into account
This is why I just do it by ear and rta

Reactions: vactor

·
Vendor
21,113 Posts
And this is why I made this guide - for people without trained ear.
Without 10 years experience.
Now they can make it too…
But as dumdum and I both said, you are "correcting" based on the electrical signal, which may not be correct acoustically.

Reactions: oabeieo and dumdum

·
Vendor
21,113 Posts
Frank of Mosconi knows exactly what hes doing. That said, I just don't exactly see a point in doing this. Crossovers work properly when used as intended and implemented correctly. No need to correct phase for a tweeter down to 100hz lol

Reactions: oabeieo

·
Vendor
21,113 Posts
So how/when would you apply an AP filter ?
I've read some of your tuning posts and they usually leave me baffled so keep it simple :)
You can do it in situations as you have mentioned, but you really need to verify that what you are doing isn't just filling a hole in the response. Make sure it is actually making a positive change to what you are hearing. Is that frequency range smeared? If so, did it snap into place? you can also use them to phase-align speakers through crossovers.

Reactions: preston

·
Vendor
21,113 Posts
man sorry for confusion

so an APF is fantastic when it’s needed

so , think about what an APF does, it’s a shift from 0 to -360 for second order

boy that sure does seem a lot like a crossover, because it is like a crossover, it changes phase in the exact same manner. Because a crossover a HP and a LP summed together makes an AP2
I made it this far. No offense, but jesus christ you are horrible at explaining things.

@preston .. do not look at all pass filters like crossovers. It will just confuse you even further. All an all pass filter does is change position/direction of the cone in its cycle in a specified frequency range.

• Haha
Reactions: oabeieo and dumdum
1 - 6 of 6 Posts