DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always see the Vented vs. Sealed argument come up a lot and I understand the differences and pros and cons of each. What I cannot seem to find something that details why I would want to use a Passive Radiator or a Transmission Line or even a 4th Order Bandpass box. I have just been curious about the advantages/disadvantages and unique qualities of each. Also why I would potentially want one of these box types over a basic vented or sealed enclosure.

·
Registered
274 Posts
The reason I went with a 4th order bandpass in my wifes car.
My wife hates trunk rattle...With a bandpass you can run the port into the cabin. Eliminating "trunk rattle"

One more reason why I chose a bandpass for the wifes car.
She only has 200 watts going to 1 12" and wants it "loud"

·
Registered
919 Posts
Bandpass boxes are very efficient in their passband, and can be designed to be very linear within the passband too, this is at the cost of space. There is certainly something to be said for a subwoofer that has flat response from 30 to 80hz. A bandpass box is pretty much the largest option you have though. Another downside is that without a proper high pass filter your chances of accidentally smoking your subs are much higher. I laugh every time I think about watching my friends **** eating grin while he's showing off his subs turn into a look of absolute despair when the chamber with the plexi window filled with magic smoke and his subs stopped moving.

You use a passive radiator when you want the benefits of a ported alignment, but do not have the physical space for a port. A passive radiator performs the same basic function a port does.

Transmission line is very impractical for a car given the length that the line will have to be for a typical subwoofer.

The reason that these types of enclosures have become less popular is because power is dirt cheap now. You used to have to give up your entire trunk for the most efficient enclosure because you could only afford 200 watts...now you can get 1000 watts for under 200 bucks and go to town on your sub in a small sealed box with plenty of trunkspace left over.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts