DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

Lf Led controller recommendations

2K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  Jscoyne2 
#1 ·
Hey all. Im looking for some recommendations for Led controllers. I tried a handful of random "cheap" Amazon ones with the little white box with pretty bad luck. I'd say half were dead within a month for no good reason and this was just testing them in a garage setting. So they weren't abused or even moved for that matter. These VVV

I have found one small bluetooth one that works well but it has a shoddy app but that only works on older phones. I am planning on a pretty big build so i want to be able to control quite a few different controllers with one app. Fan colors/ underseat lighting, amp lighting, speaker lighting, ect. Having interesting effects like chaser/strobe/ ect would be nice as well.

Any one have any recommendations?

See less See more
#2 ·
Sit down. We need to have a talk about those LED's.

There are 2 kids of LEDS (Layman terms)

There are those that have 4 pins, and 3 pins or wires. Ones with the 3 pin are the addressable style (Mostly) 4 pin is mostly for the ones that can change colors and intensity.

If you want something FULL PROOF?
Raspberry pie or Arduino with Bluetooth. Why?

Start with these videos.

Qucistart....Its a meme. But goes into some other stuff.

With Ardrino. Take a look at what you can do.

Now this is JUST a NON ADDRESSABLE CONTROLER. But it works great in a car. Just plug and play. No worrying about power etc. It does not care.

==========================================================================================================================================================================

SO the one you listed is not ...MMMbbbaaaddd. But why it sucks so much? First, you can use other LED conroler software. All the units are generic.

Second. The Hardware is made to run..... Like no more then like Fairy lights without cooling. Hence why you only see them run like 4 feet of LED's in a car. (all the typical car led kits) Take one apart You will go.. "WHERE IS THE BEEF?"

You can use other Apps to control and pair up to the controllers over both Bluetooth and wifi. I know most of the apps suck since.. They are COPIES of COPIES of code. Find one that works for you and pray you can buy it without adds.
Or go with the other ones I mentioned if you want something that can do it all.

Diode Dynamics is the GOTO in the industry. But there is a reason why. They were one of the first to make one that just works for mobile applications.

I feel you about software. I bought this. Its a pain... Good luck if the app ever stays open. But that's why you keep around your no name old out of date Android phones :)

WIth addressable LEDs you can do this.

Hope that helps.

#5 ·
FWIW, the single color strips are far more reliable, you can add a series resistor or rheostat on the +12V side to dim them.

Most of the single color 12V strips are just 3 LEDs in series with a current limiting resistor, repeated at each cut point.

I have IP65 strips that have lasted for years in Halloween decorations, even ones I have over voltage.

#6 ·
FWIW, the single color strips are far more reliable, you can add a series resistor or rheostat on the +12V side to dim them.
I respectfully disagree with both of your statements:

A quality LED strip from a reputable manufacturer is going last a long time regardless of it being single color, multi color or digital; most of the failures will be of the controllers/drivers. Regarding dimming, unless you are using constant current strips you will need a PWM dimmer, and you control from the cathode (negative) side. Yes, you can use a resistor, but the dimming range will be terrible because of the minimum forward voltage.

#10 ·
This is what I do for a living, if you tell me more about what you are trying to accomplish then I'll do my best to point you in the right direction.

Regarding country of origin: ALL LED strips are made (and in most cases, designed) in China. Obviously there are some exceptions, but unless you live in the Bay area and want to spent $100/ft, it's all Chinese. THAT BEING SAID, there is a HUGE difference in quality from the different suppliers (and sometimes from the same supplier), and unless you personally want to test them all, you might as well throw darts at a wall to determine which products to buy. Or have a chimpanzee pull a name out of a hat, that will give you similar results. Fortunately for you, I've tested strips, power supplies & drivers from dozens of companies, and I'd be happy to offer some recommendations.

-How much do you need?
-What color(s) are you looking for?
-How do you want to control everything?
-How fast do you need it?

Cheers

#8 ·

Where to get the GOOD strips that they use in commercial installs.

If you want something that works like a Toyota day in and day out?

There the ones you see that work at all the clubs when plug and play and DMX control is needed.

If you just want to buy some LED's that will work and last in your car as plug and play? IKEA LED strips. They are the most ROBUST ~12v led strips I have used. In 10 years? I have had zero failures in installs. Those are just the simple White led style. And the LED's have zero noticeable fade for single color.

The Multicolor LED's are doing pretty well after 10 years with minimal fade.

#9 ·
The Multicolor LED's are doing pretty well after 10 years with minimal fade.
Thanks for all the recommendations. i certainly appreciate it. I did see the waterproof one and the app has like 1.9 Stars on the app store. If you read the reviews. It talks about it straight up not working, many many comments on the app deleting all other bluetooth device connections on the phone, and even one guy who put a packet sniffer on the app and found it was recording key strokes and history on the phone. Basically extremely suspect chinese stuff. I've really looked around. There simply isn't anything that isn't chinese junk in the LED market that ive found.

#12 ·
Your choices for strip colors are single color, about 20 different CCTs of white, RGB, RGBW, RGBWW, RGB+W, etc. It gets maddening pretty quick. Personally I'd go with an RGB or RGBW, and for the white CCT I'd go with a temperature that compliments your interior; warmer for browns & beiges, cooler for grey's & blacks. I'll look through my catalogues today to see what kind of smartphone controllers I have available, give me a few hours. I'll also look at those products that imickey503 provided, as they might turn out to be good options as well. Cheers.

#13 ·
I went to superbrightleds to check out that Bluetooth controller, but I see no mention regarding the name of the app; maybe I missed it, maybe you need to buy the item first. Other that that it looks like it would do what you want. Regarding the products from SIRS-E, that stuff is going to be overkill for most applications, and it's pricey. I should have more information when I hear back from my suppliers later tonight or tomorrow.

#15 · (Edited)
I decided not to worry too much about the LEDs and just ordered one online so that it would be possible to switch the light using WiFi. If you ask me, I think that such light switches have long been outdated, and it's easiest to just use phones, especially if you have a led strip light. You can also customize any color that you just want under any shade. I think it's really much cooler than anything that happened before. But I don't mind if you still use the remote and everything suits you. I just decided to tell my point of view on this. Maybe it'll be interesting for someone.

#16 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.