DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

Registered
thank you everyone for your input. I've decided to go back to the utopias.
Are you going with traditional Utopias? Or Utopia M's?

Premium Member
I've been contemplating my next set of 3-way speakers... i'm currently running audio frog gb10; gb25; gb60.. there is nothing wrong with them, but just looking to try something else... so will be posting them up very soon in classifieds.. looking for suggestions please... what would you try next.... my current system is in my signature if you want to know what will be powering them.
Arc RS

Registered
I would look at Focal speker systems, since they are well known for exelent bass and upper bass, My personal pick and vote would go to ZR Speaker Labs (Originals made by Zvone Raspor), he also have a killer 8" bass driver option if you are looking for a bit bigger midbass driver.
Cheaper option is to go with GZ Reference system, but it is on much lower quality level than original ZR LABs, started with cheap speaker basket.

Also, Hybrid Audio Technilogies have very nice X V line out, it sounds really good

Another newcomer to car audio is Accuton - you will find their drivers in expensive hi-end home speakers (Peter Steinbacher (FB) might have more info on them

Registered
Checked out the RS speakers. They look very good...Have you listened to them?

In my 2006 MB SLK, I am replacing my 3x2 door speakers. I've been vacillating between JL Audio and Audiofrog. But I'm now leaning towards the ARC RS component series. Neodynium motors, papyrus cones and interesting new dust caps.

Now I need to find a good 8" shallow sub for behind the footwell and a good AB or AB/D amp/DSP. Zapco's looked like a reasonably priced, capable amp/DSP... But I'm open to suggestion.

Premium Member
RS Speakers are great.

In my 2006 MB SLK, I am replacing my 3x2 door speakers. I've been vacillating between JL Audio and Audiofrog. But I'm now leaning towards the ARC RS component series. Neodynium motors, papyrus cones and interesting new dust caps.

Now I need to find a good 8" shallow sub for behind the footwell and a good AB or AB/D amp/DSP. Zapco's looked like a reasonably priced, capable amp/DSP... But I'm open to suggestion.

Registered
I've been using the RS 1.0 and RS 4.0 for five months now. Prior to the RS 4.0, I was using the RS 3.0 for several months and decided to upgrade to the RS 4.0 because I had the space. Very happy with them all. Better detail & dynamic transients compared the Morels they replaced. Very live and real sounding instruments/vocals.

Registered
I've been using the RS 1.0 and RS 4.0 for five months now. Prior to the RS 4.0, I was using the RS 3.0 for several months and decided to upgrade to the RS 4.0 because I had the space. Very happy with them all. Better detail & dynamic transients compared the Morels they replaced. Very live and real sounding instruments/vocals.
Excellent....Went on their website. You can only buy the speakers from Arc Audio....Hopefully custom installers down here won't have an issue installing speakers I bring.

If I may ask, which DSP and amp and is driving them.

Registered

Registered
Beautes!!

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #37
well the tweet for sure.... but mostly a lateral move... i had the older 2-way utopia kit with a k2 mid-range and loved it and was able to tune it for my other jeep... so i think with these i will be able to get close to what pleased me before. i still have a lot of work to do with this new jeep, don't get me wrong the frogs are some of the most wonderfully sounding speakers i've herd...

Registered
After mentally committing to the ARC Audio RS speakers, now I'm trying to decide between amplifiers:
MMATS HiFi6150D or ARC Audio 1000.6 or Audio Control D6.1200. All are D class.

The Audio Control has the biggest bang for the buck at $1000 it comes with a DSP. The other 2 are also $1000 but you need to buy a DSP. ARC has the DSP option for another $600.

I've heard the most glowing, positive comments about the MMATS. Many were from former AB afficionados..

I read that MMATS were the originators of Class D amps...I'm leaning MMATS way... I wish there was an inexpensive but worthy DSP as it seems that I'll(the installer) will only use it once at the install. Maybe twice for a tweak. Or maybe I just don't know how many times it will be used!

21 - 40 of 65 Posts