DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,499 Posts
After mentally committing to the ARC Audio RS speakers, now I'm trying to decide between amplifiers:
MMATS HiFi6150D or ARC Audio 1000.6 or Audio Control D6.1200. All are D class.

The Audio Control has the biggest bang for the buck at $1000 it comes with a DSP. The other 2 are also $1000 but you need to buy a DSP. ARC has the DSP option for another $600.

I've heard the most glowing, positive comments about the MMATS. Many were from former AB afficionados..

I read that MMATS were the originators of Class D amps...I'm leaning MMATS way... I wish there was an inexpensive but worthy DSP as it seems that I'll(the installer) will only use it once at the install. Maybe twice for a tweak. Or maybe I just don't know how many times it will be used!
I would go with ARC, more power, low distortion and the onboard DSP is a PS8PRO. So to me it's a win win.
I own the PS850 and love it!

·
Premium Member
8,894 Posts
Of the three options you listed, I would go the Arc 1000.6 w/ IPS8.8 DSP route as well.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would go with ARC, more power, low distortion and the onboard DSP is a PS8PRO. So to me it's a win win.
I own the PS850 and love it!
Thanks guys......I have no doubt that the ARC is a great amp. And convenient.

I'm trying to find reviews on the ARC 1000.6 but besides you, I haven't found any. But I've read 20-30 raving reviews of the MMATS from folks who are what I'd call experts in car audio.. Costs are similar although there'd be more installation costs with the MMATS + a DSP...Another consideration is, I can't tune a fish. But I'd like to learn. Are most DSP's as easy as the other to use?

Maybe ARC would give me a package deal on the RS 1.0, 3.0, 6.0 and the 1000.6 I wonder?

·
Premium Member
8,894 Posts
It sounds like you're working with a dealer. I would rely heavily on THEIR suggestions, not just random people you don't know on the internet. (Myself included.) If they are providing the product, the installation and the tuning, make your selections from what they offer and recommend. Do your best to describe what you want and work with them so that they can design the system to best meets your criteria.

On the MMATS amps, I know there have been some rave reviews around here over the last year. As a counter, I talked to a very reputable shop here in California about the MMATS products a while back. They are a dealer and said when they work well, they are great. But, more than any other brand they carried, MMATS had quality issues. They had so many issues with them they had all but stopped using them for their installs.

As I said, this was over a year ago when I talked to them. Maybe things have changed. And if you dealer sells MMATS and recommends them to you, I would trust their opinion. Mostly, because you know that even if there is an issue, the shop should stand behind the products they sell and install.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It sounds like you're working with a dealer. I would rely heavily on THEIR suggestions, not just random people you don't know on the internet. (Myself included.) If they are providing the product, the installation and the tuning, make your selections from what they offer and recommend. Do your best to describe what you want and work with them so that they can design the system to best meets your criteria.

On the MMATS amps, I know there have been some rave reviews around here over the last year. As a counter, I talked to a very reputable shop here in California about the MMATS products a while back. They are a dealer and said when they work well, they are great. But, more than any other brand they carried, MMATS had quality issues. They had so many issues with them they had all but stopped using them for their installs.

As I said, this was over a year ago when I talked to them. Maybe things have changed. And if you dealer sells MMATS and recommends them to you, I would trust their opinion. Mostly, because you know that even if there is an issue, the shop should stand behind the products they sell and install.
I understand..I called ARC Audio and they gave me the # of a custom installer not too far from me. Gave them an intro call and will stop by soon for them to make recommendations.

Has anyone hear tried any of the ARC component speakers below the RS series?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Get the MMats and get the new Dayton DSP for about 150.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Get the MMats and get the new Dayton DSP for about 150.
I've heard a lot of great things about the MMATS but I need convenience in that I need to deal with an installer who is familiar with the DSP especially.

If the ARC is sonically close to the MMATS, then the ARC having the DSP be able to be attached to the amp saves me in installation costs, as I would have the ARC and the ARC RS speakers all installed at the same place. The installation costs will be on the high side so packaging it all in ARC gear might save me some coin if possible.

But, the MMATS M600.2 mono amp and their shallow mount SM 10" sub could be the right way to go if I place it behind the footwell in my SLK.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I like both brands to tell you the truth. Arc has a shallow mount sub that is very install friendly as well.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I like both brands to tell you the truth. Arc has a shallow mount sub that is very install friendly as well.
Awesome. I've pretty much made my mind up to install the ARC 1000.6 w DSP, RS 1.0,3.0, 6.0 and Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX head unit with an ARC dealer.
My cars amp is in the passenger footwell. If it doesn't make the install more difficult and it will sound right, I'd like to put the sub there so it's in the cabin. Either the ARC 8 or ARC 10 in a small enclosure and have the footwell carpet lay over the enclosure so you can't even tell there's a sub there. And mount the 1000.6 in the trunk.(I guess the USB for the DSP travels through the trunk to the dash or armrest cabin so you can hook it up to a laptop?)

Then I need to figure out which ARC amp to power the sub. I don't see any specific sub amps on their website. Only full range amps. Surely ARC must make a sub amp.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Awesome. I've pretty much made my mind up to install the ARC 1000.6 w DSP, RS 1.0,3.0, 6.0 and Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX head unit with an ARC dealer.
I wonder how many more dvd/cd head units Pioneer will make after the AVH-W4500NEX. Seems like they didn't really add many if any to this years line up.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I wonder how many more dvd/cd head units Pioneer will make after the AVH-W4500NEX. Seems like they did really add many if any to this years line up.
I didn't quite understand what you said. Pioneer did NOT add many dvd/cd units to this years lineup? I'm indifferent about having a CD/DVD player. I haven't played a CD in my car in many years but might have with my new audio system.

I wasn't aware Pioneer made new units this year although I did not check. But I saw on you tube they came out with the DMH-WT8600NEX. But that's 10". I need to see if they've come out with any new 7" units.

·
Premium Member
8,894 Posts
On the head unit, I would strongly consider a change to the Kenwood DDX9907XR or DDX9906XR. The sound quality is great and the screens are second to none. I use the older DDX9905S in my own car.

For the sub amp, Arc has plenty of options. If you want to match the style of the 1000.6, check out the 1000.2. The amp provides 500W x 2 @ 4 Ohms, 600W x 2 @ 2 Ohms or 1200W x 1 @ 4 Ohms bridged. If you insist on having a mono amp, the X2 line offers the 650.1, 1100.1 and 2500.1. Any of these would be a good choice, depending on your power needs.

For what it is worth, I don't run any mono amps in my install. I run a pair of 10s and each one is powered off its own 2 channel amp bridged.

·
Registered
32 Posts
On the head unit, I would strongly consider a change to the Kenwood DDX9907XR or DDX9906XR. The sound quality is great and the screens are second to none. I use the older DDX9905S in my own car.

For the sub amp, Arc has plenty of options. If you want to match the style of the 1000.6, check out the 1000.2. The amp provides 500W x 2 @ 4 Ohms, 600W x 2 @ 2 Ohms or 1200W x 1 @ 4 Ohms bridged. If you insist on having a mono amp, the X2 line offers the 650.1, 1100.1 and 2500.1. Any of these would be a good choice, depending on your power needs.

For what it is worth, I don't run any mono amps in my install. I run a pair of 10s and each one is powered off its own 2 channel amp bridged.
Thanks for your recommendations. I've checked out the Kenwood9906. Looks very good. I will definitely consider it..I haven't played a CD in my car in 5+ years like the 4500NEX has.....Have you seen that Pioneer has just come out with new head units?

Their DMHW4600NEX looks very good. Capacitive screen. Volume/mic/web buttons on the left side of the touch screen. Might be the 4500's upgraded model.

As far as the ARC 1000.2, it's a little rich for my budget. I was looking at MMATS shallow mount sub and 600.2 mono amp. Both very reasonably priced but even though we are sort of close to their factory, my installer may not have access to them...I'm not a basshead. Just would like accurate representation....When I meet the installers, I'll see what 1 or 2 channel amp they recommend. Also curious if the installers can put the sub in the footwell and amp(s) in the trunk or it's better to put the amp in the footwell(where the OEM amp is) and the sub in the trunk...They're going to have to place new speaker wire in either case.......Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
8,894 Posts
The Pioneer head units you listed, even the brand new DMH-W4660NEX with capacitive screen are still low res screens (800x480). Only Pioneer's larger 9" and 10" screens feature a 720p display.

Kenwood has had 720p displays for three generations now, starting with the DNX995S & DDX9905S. For the third generation, the none DVD model (DMX957XR) now has the same high resolution screen. Though, if you don't need the latest of features, you can probably find a really good deal on a DDX9905S or DDX9906XR right now.

·
Registered
7,531 Posts
Thanks for your recommendations. I've checked out the Kenwood9906. Looks very good. I will definitely consider it..I haven't played a CD in my car in 5+ years like the 4500NEX has.....Have you seen that Pioneer has just come out with new head units?

Their DMHW4600NEX looks very good. Capacitive screen. Volume/mic/web buttons on the left side of the touch screen. Might be the 4500's upgraded model.

As far as the ARC 1000.2, it's a little rich for my budget. I was looking at MMATS shallow mount sub and 600.2 mono amp. Both very reasonably priced but even though we are sort of close to their factory, my installer may not have access to them...I'm not a basshead. Just would like accurate representation....When I meet the installers, I'll see what 1 or 2 channel amp they recommend. Also curious if the installers can put the sub in the footwell and amp(s) in the trunk or it's better to put the amp in the footwell(where the OEM amp is) and the sub in the trunk...They're going to have to place new speaker wire in either case.......Thanks again.
If you don't use CDs/DVDs, then I don't think the DDX9907XR or DDX9906XR make much sense. Check out the DMX906S. It doesn't play CD's, but it has a very nice capacitive touch screen, and even though the screen isn't quite as nice as the DDX9907XR or DDX9906XR it doesn't matter if all you're looking at is album art.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The Pioneer head units you listed, even the brand new DMH-W4660NEX with capacitive screen are still low res screens (800x480). Only Pioneer's larger 9" and 10" screens feature a 720p display.

Kenwood has had 720p displays for three generations now, starting with the DNX995S & DDX9905S. For the third generation, the none DVD model (DMX957XR) now has the same high resolution screen. Though, if you don't need the latest of features, you can probably find a really good deal on a DDX9905S or DDX9906XR right now.
Thanks again guys...I was thinking, with the new audio system, playing and listening to well recorded CD's may be well worth it. One attractive thing, for me at least with the Pioneer, is the vol/mic/menu buttons on the left of the 4600's screen. I've had a crappy MB OEM screen for 11 years so any screen is a visual improvement! But if it sounds better than the Pioneer, then I'll definitely look into the 9906XR.

·
Premium Member
8,894 Posts

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Slick maybe you should start a new thread for your system . Good info from everybody but I’m more interested what the OP is doing .
So with that said , Tone Loc have you installed the Focal set yet ?
Like to hear what your heard of you have.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Slick maybe you should start a new thread for your system . Good info from everybody but I’m more interested what the OP is doing .
So with that said , Tone Loc have you installed the Focal set yet ?
Like to hear what your heard of you have.
No problem. I've got the path. Thanks.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts