DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just finishing wrapping up installing my Alpine 17Ref components. My HU is an Alpine x305 which has 2 volt preout's. Would there by any improvement upping the voltage via a line driver?

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Maybe if you only have 2 volts. You can get 4 channel line driver on ebay for around $60. If you don't notice a difference, sell it. You'll get most of your money back.

·
Registered
76 Posts
As far as I know some amps will not work correctly with line drivers because they will produce too much voltage to the amp. Well I should not say wont work, but could have adverse effects. I would recommend to only try one if your amp is compatible with the voltage produced by the line driver. A lot of people say it won't hurt the amp, but I am a rather safe then sorry kind of guy with my equipment.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well according to the specs, the Kenwood is capable of 5 volt input. So I assume that it would be a worthy upgrade to buy a line driver and match to the 5 volts instead of the 2?

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
Why do you think you'd need a line driver? What problems do you currently have?

If you have no issues with noise in the amp at higher gain settings then a line driver will do nothing for you.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

If you have no issues with noise in the amp at higher gain settings then a line driver will do nothing for you.
Hmmm. Guess I was just going by the recommendation that the higher the voltage into the amp (within reason), the cleaner the signal. All my experience has been in HT audio, haven't really dealt with SQ car audio before (previous experience years ago was all SPL) and just want to make sure I have the proper setup.

·
Registered
421 Posts
As for me I got 4 line drivers for my Arc Audio SE series Amps, But I think that it is a different case, because they were design for those amps only, and they also let you set your system up without clipping. It was well worth it for me.
Arc Audio

·
Registered
42 Posts
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you don't have any issues now, you won't install it and think "damn, now THAT is a clean signal!"

·
Registered
5 Posts
As for me I got 4 line drivers for my Arc Audio SE series Amps, But I think that it is a different case, because they were design for those amps only, and they also let you set your system up without clipping. It was well worth it for me.
Arc Audio
I`m new to this forum. and been away from the scene for far to long. I still have my PG MS275 Amp and remember alot of their kit also had matching line drivers ajustable up to 9volts.

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
A linedriver is the single best investment I've ever make for my system. Dynamics are better for sure.

·
Registered
991 Posts

^^^ DING DING DING!!! we have a winner!......

what "kenwood" would you be referring too OP?

see, nothing agains this specific OP, but as a general/genric rule, it should be required that if you ask a question about how X, Y, or Z will bennefit a given system, then it is the responsibility of the OP to give a complete break down of said system.... If you told me you were running old school Eclipse or Audio control amps, then hell yes a line driver will help with a current Alpine HU. If you told me you had a Zapco, Linear Power, Alphasonik/US aCoustics etc amp, I would reply as above... if it ain't broke don't mess...

most important is DETIALS...

Rob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts