DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 906 Posts

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
JOMA1

JOMA2

I feel sorry for whoever wins these auctions because who knows what has been done to them:(

·
Registered
553 Posts
Re: More Linear Power from our favorite seller

I wouldn't pay a nickel for his amps. eBay's got enough scammers!

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

JOMA has nice penmanship :D
I am surprised he didn't charge extra for the one of a kind label on that one amp:laugh:

·
Registered
1,245 Posts

Anyone know what I can expect out of a 5002 power wise running 8ohms mono? Wondering if it's more or less than a 2.2HV.

·
Registered
546 Posts

I have purchased from joma a couple of times. Never had a problem and the amps were exactly what he said they were. Definitely was not a great deal $$ wise, but the price was fair and he happened to have what I was looking for at the time. Just my 2 pennies.

·
Registered
27 Posts

A stock 5002 is stronger than a stock 2.2HV at 4 or 8 ohms. 5002 is 250x2, 2.2HV is 125x2 at 4 ohm stereo. Modified to run 8 ohms a 5002 can be insane.

I'm not sure which is stronger, my 3.2HV's which are 8ohm only now, or my 5002 which can do both 8 and 4ohm. My MGB doesn't have enough battery, alternator, or weight carrying capacity to run them.:( Maybe John can chime in???;)

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Ray emailed me a while back stating that I could get at least 850 watts RMS out of a modded 5002 @ 8 ohms and expect 1600 to 1700 watts of peak power. Depending on which revision you have will determine how much power the 8 ohm high voltage mod will get you.

As for 6Appeal.... He has spent major money modifying his 5002s and I would be willing to guess that he is getting close to 2000 watts RMS out of his!

·
Registered
553 Posts

I have purchased from joma a couple of times. Never had a problem and the amps were exactly what he said they were. Definitely was not a great deal $$ wise, but the price was fair and he happened to have what I was looking for at the time. Just my 2 pennies.
You were lucky. My experience was much different. Dishonest auction description just to try to make a few extra bucks.

·
Registered
392 Posts

Ray emailed me a while back stating that I could get at least 850 watts RMS out of a modded 5002 @ 8 ohms and expect 1600 to 1700 watts of peak power. Depending on which revision you have will determine how much power the 8 ohm high voltage mod will get you.

As for 6Appeal.... He has spent major money modifying his 5002s and I would be willing to guess that he is getting close to 2000 watts RMS out of his!
Your power numbers are right for your level of mods. Pretty much just about the peak for the "normal" mods, provided you can give the amp enough battery.:rolleyes:

My 5002's have "special" mods that don't get done, except for a select few and many $$$'s. Two of my modded 5002's (mono only) will do over 1100 watts @ 8ohm and peak over 2200.:eek::D:p Another is modded for stereo (cannot run mono) that will do 350 wpc @ 8 ohm and peak over 600 wpc. Yes, these numbers have been verified with power testing done by Ray. Can I get that much out of them in a car? Not without more battery and alternator than I currently have. I figure I'm getting about 2/3's of the peak power and that's with only 1 modded 5002 in a GN (200 amp alt, 2 1100 cca batteries).

SQMGB said:
A stock 5002 is stronger than a stock 2.2HV at 4 or 8 ohms. 5002 is 250x2, 2.2HV is 125x2 at 4 ohm stereo. Modified to run 8 ohms a 5002 can be insane.

I'm not sure which is stronger, my 3.2HV's which are 8ohm only now, or my 5002 which can do both 8 and 4ohm. My MGB doesn't have enough battery, alternator, or weight carrying capacity to run them. Maybe John can chime in???
Rich, Your 3.2's are pretty much the same as my 5002's. But, you get there with less amperage draw because they are more efficient. Still, one of those has the ability to burn up all the wiring in your truck. The MG would just melt into a pool of molten metal.:laugh:

bass_lover1 - Also, mods for the 2.2HV are SQ only, no more power without redesigning the power supply and board.
John

·
Registered
1,245 Posts

I'm not worried about modded power jerks, but now you have me wanting to do so.

I'm concerned about stock power levels. My 2.2HV is stock, and as far as I know the 5002 is stock as well. My plan is to move the 5002 to sub duty, and sell :)cry:) my 2.2HV. That is of course if the 5002 will give me the same power bridged running 8ohms as the 2.2HV does.

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I'm not worried about modded power jerks, but now you have me wanting to do so.

I'm concerned about stock power levels. My 2.2HV is stock, and as far as I know the 5002 is stock as well. My plan is to move the 5002 to sub duty, and sell :)cry:) my 2.2HV. That is of course if the 5002 will give me the same power bridged running 8ohms as the 2.2HV does.
You are going to get at least your 4 ohm stereo power @ 8 ohms mono, probably more! I plan on running an unmodified 5002 to my JL Audio 13w6v2.

·
Registered
392 Posts

Stock 2.2 vs stock 5002, run mono will be pretty close. The 2.2 will draw less current due to it's more efficient power supply at the same power level (40 vs 60).:cool: But, when push comes to shove, a modded 5002 will walk all over a 2.2. Keep them both. Run the 5002 on sub and the 2.2 on highs. If using passive crossovers, be ready to rebuild them with better components. Don't ask me how I know.:rolleyes:
John

·
Registered
1,245 Posts

I thought it would be close, but wasn't sure. Going by the ratings on LP's site, the 5002 does 250 per channel stereo, but about 40 watts less bridged than the 2.2 is rated for.

I want to keep the 2.2 and run it on my mid ranges, but I'm trying to cut back on my stereo value, really I'm just trying to pay off some credit cards, so the 2.2HV will be for sale for what I paid for it. I get the 5002 tomorrow, and as long as it's functional, the listing said it was but I just want to make sure, I'll post the 2.2 shortly there after.

·
Registered
392 Posts

I might be down for another 2.2.:D Color? Price? PM me.
John

·
Registered
2,544 Posts

The 2.2 will put out way more than 125 x 2, WAY more. I really wish I could get one tested. I would say it's well over 200w x 2.

Reactions: GLN305

·
Registered
1,245 Posts

It's black, but nothing is set in stone until the 5002 is tested and functional.

·
Registered
392 Posts

The 2.2 will put out way more than 125 x 2, WAY more. I really wish I could get one tested. I would say it's well over 200w x 2.
Since the 2.2HV grew out of the 2502, it would make sense that it would be similar in the power rating. But the 2.2 is stronger than the 2502, IMHO. I agree that it's pretty close to the 5002 (in stock form). I might have to take one of my 2.2's to Ray for a little power test to get some actual numbers.:rolleyes:
John

1 - 20 of 906 Posts