DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's a list of $300 (or less) amps for running active

I've been looking for a 4-channel amp for a simple active setup. My goal was to find an amp with either a bandpass capability or one that would allow me to effectively bandpass (with use of the HU high pass) and LP the mids as high as 3,000 Hz and HP the tweets as low as 2,000 Hz. (Obviously that's not where I'll run, but wanted that as elbow room.) I wanted something that would output at least 90 W x 4 at 4 ohms. And I tried to stay with either CEA-rated amps or what I considered trustworthy brands. My idea of trustworthy and yours may differ. (For instance, Maxxsonics didn't make my list.) And, finally, I wanted it to cost less than $300. (I have two kids in college!). Sadly, this eliminates the Zeds, the Arcs, the Sundowns, and some other respected candidates.

Here's what I have found so far. First the simple list...

Polk Audio PA D4000.4
Precision Power P900.4
Kenwood Excelon XR-4S
Soundstream REF4.760 Reference
Soundstream Rubicon RUB4.600
Precision Power PC640.4
Clarion XH5410

The attachment includes further details (Links for mfr web site, reviews, manuals, x-over details, output, topology, and best (non-ebay) price I've found so far.

It seems a number of people are looking for amps that fit this bill, so I hope this is helpful to others. Let me know which ones I've overlooked!

View attachment 4-Channel Amplifier to run active.pdf

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
I have run a few different fully active systems with the new ss ref amps and they get my #1 vote at most any price range! (ppi pc amps are on the same playing field as well;)

On a side note...your doing yourself a HUGE disservice not including the MBQuart (forget if its the dsc or onx?) amps in the mix (maxxsonics) VERY SOLID! great xovers and great power. Really no good reason (that holds its weight anyway) not to include them to the list!

You couldnt pay me to use another xr-4s

well, thats my 2cents;)
Regardless of what you choose, make sure you come back on here and let everyone know what you went with, why, and how its working out for you, thats what really helps people looking, but NO ONE EVER DOES IT?????
Good luck in your search and hope you get something that works well for you!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rexroadj, thanks for your thoughts there. I think that Soundstream Reference is my front-runner right now. I initially was thinking the XR-4s looked like a nice possibility (at first, space was a premium for this install), but I read of too many bad experiences here about them (probably yours included!).

So I built a false floor amp rack for my Honda Fit, and went with the MB Quart Q4.150 you may be referring to. I think it is the successor to the DSC line. As you say, it has great crossover settings, but trouble is it had a turn-on pop that killed a tweeter. I had been running active with an old school Earthquake PA-4050C without protection, before, so I didn't even consider using an inline cap. Anyway, it was probably a one-off event, but I'm mad at Maxxsonics, now. No second chances, dangit! :laugh:

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
but trouble is it had a turn-on pop that killed a tweeter. I had been running active with an old school Earthquake PA-4050C without protection, before, so I didn't even consider using an inline cap. Anyway, it was probably a one-off event, but I'm mad at Maxxsonics, now. No second chances, dangit! :laugh:
WOW! The pop actually cooked the tweet?

Well I cant blame you there!
I plan on running the p900.4 myself (I have ZERO room) so I know what to expect via the xovers there, hope the power is on par with the ref's though?

·
Banned
2,895 Posts
Rexroadj, thanks for your thoughts there. I think that Soundstream Reference is my front-runner right now. I initially was thinking the XR-4s looked like a nice possibility (at first, space was a premium for this install), but I read of too many bad experiences here about them (probably yours included!).

So I built a false floor amp rack for my Honda Fit, and went with the MB Quart Q4.150 you may be referring to. I think it is the successor to the DSC line. As you say, it has great crossover settings, but trouble is it had a turn-on pop that killed a tweeter. I had been running active with an old school Earthquake PA-4050C without protection, before, so I didn't even consider using an inline cap. Anyway, it was probably a one-off event, but I'm mad at Maxxsonics, now. No second chances, dangit! :laugh:
My Q 4.150 did the same exact thing!

Luckily sonicelectronix replaced it and the new one us working perfect!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Fricaseekid, I'm seeing a trend here with the Q4.150! Glad you got yours replaced. How's it working out?

I didn't have any more tweeters to spare, so I just returned mine to CarAudioDeals.com and took the hit on the return shipping and 20% restock fee.:mean:

·
Banned
2,895 Posts
Hey Fricaseekid, I'm seeing a trend here with the Q4.150! Glad you got yours replaced. How's it working out?

I didn't have any more tweeters to spare, so I just returned mine to CarAudioDeals.com and took the hit on the return shipping and 20% restock fee.:mean:
Yeah! Sonicelectronix tried to tell me that they couldn't find anything wrong with it. But they replaced it anyways as a "show of faith". Now that I have one that works properly, I love it! It's powerful, clean, and versatile.

But if all the bad reviews had been out before I bought it, I wouldn't have. I just I can continue to get good service from it.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
One of either the PPI phatom or polk audio class D "clones" would be my choice. the most power in the smallest foot print for damn cheep.

Win win win!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That JL XD400/4 is a nice looking amp! It wouldn't work for my active project with those crossovers, though.

# Variable high-pass filter (50-500 Hz, 12 dB/octave Butterworth)
# Variable low-pass filter (50-500 Hz, 12 dB/octave Butterworth)

I want to be able HP my tweets from as low as, say 2,000 Hz up, and LP my mid from as high as maybe 3,000 Hz down just to have some room to play around.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Not to answer for others, but when I checked out the xover I saw it here for $321 shipped.
Yeah great prices can be found online, I support local business and ensure I get authorized. 90% of the online "dealers" that claim to be "authorized" are not. To me its not worth the risk. You will find countless horror stories about it all over here and many other places. Granted....many have just fine dealings...again, to me? Just not worth it!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ah, I see the geographic proximity now. I respect your point-of-view on supporting local businesses. I'll mind my own.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Ah, I see the geographic proximity now. I respect your point-of-view on supporting local businesses. I'll mind my own.
Yeah Im actually VERY close to Boston and areas.... No need to "mind your own" Its your thread, and I took it off topic:(

Now, lets find you an amp:)

If you can fit it my $$$ will always go to the ss ref's but I really want to see these phantoms from PPI! I cant fit the ref's in the Renegade so I am pretty commited to the phantoms for my use (although I am not going active....I think;).

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Well, here is an idea...not sure what type of space you have or if you are interested in two amps and maybe you know all this since you have a Clarion in your list?

The CLARION DPX2251 2 ch produces 180 watts x 2 for your mids. These amps have nice cossovers, the pods have indentations so that you can use their chart to set an exact crossover point:

Precise Frequency Selector -12dB / Oct. High/Low Pass Crossover Range:
X1 Switch - 50Hz - 575Hz,
X10 Switch - 525Hz - 5.8kHz

The chart can be found here: http://www.teamclarion.com/sharedwebdbs/clarionsupport.nsf/732ff3bc1327551388256a4c0078512c/c3747f6a38b6a5858825744700508597/$FILE/2008 Application Guide - Low Res.pdf

Then you could get a 2-ch 90 watt x 2 APX2181 for your tweeters for about $139 online google shooping. This amp has the same crossover layout.

These are CEA-2006 Compliant amps..designed and made by the Zeff/Nikola Engineering/UBUY Industries, Unc. team....(These guys also did amps for: ARC AUDIO, ZAPCO, CERWIN VEGA, etc http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/diyma-sq-forum-technical-advanced/77710-list-robert-zeff-nikola-engineering-amps.html / http://www.ubuy.com.tw/ )
Clarion Canada | Amplifiers

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
I paid $325 for a new JL XD400/4 at a shop a couple of weeks ago...
Did you read the title before posting? It doesn't say "best small 4 channels amp"... :rolleyes:

Anything PPI or Soundstream fits the bill... some Arc Audio will get you what you need too...

Kelvin

·
Registered
427 Posts
Did you read the title before posting? It doesn't say "best small 4 channels amp"... :rolleyes:

Anything PPI or Soundstream fits the bill... some Arc Audio will get you what you need too...

Kelvin
Kelvin, are there any Arc amplifiers with band-pass crossover capabilities? Doesn't look like it from what I've read, but then again they're a bit lacking when it comes to a decent website. I'd love to try the KAR series amps myself, but I don't see that they can really do active without some sort of external crossover or processor.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts