DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, I noticed lite bulbs in the cross-overs on my Boston Acoustic SPZ60's, and they flash very bright when played at a high level. What are these bulbs for, and what does it mean when they get so bright? Do I have the level too high? I'm assuming they're for the tweeter protection?

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
Yeah, I noticed lite bulbs in the cross-overs on my Boston Acoustic SPZ60's, and they flash very bright when played at a high level. What are these bulbs for, and what does it mean when they get so bright? Do I have the level too high? I'm assuming they're for the tweeter protection?
Correct

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
the lamp has a very low resistance, like damn near a dead short when cold, they are in series with the tweet for the most part. As they heat the resistance goes up (I'd say impedance but they are rather non-reactive) and the power used to light the lamp is NOT going to the tweet. If that is lighting up then you have reached the limits, time to back down.

·
Registered
111 Posts
the lamp has a very low resistance, like damn near a dead short when cold, they are in series with the tweet for the most part. As they heat the resistance goes up (I'd say impedance but they are rather non-reactive) and the power used to light the lamp is NOT going to the tweet. If that is lighting up then you have reached the limits, time to back down.
That is correct. they use the bulb to save the tweeter.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Why do they come on so often? You cant expect a light bulb not to come on when a current is passing through it. Its inline. Its going to come on. No I dont have any experience with that perticular set. I have not had any bostons (Except my current home theatre setup) since the pro 650's and 653's were out (I miss those). Why dont we email boston to find out. But I dont think it will be nessesary. If I remember my training correctly the bulb is more likely to illuminate when an amp is clipping. Or if you are just putting an ass alot of power to it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Whops forgot. So goes my question. What is your current setup.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
Why do they come on so often? You cant expect a light bulb not to come on when a current is passing through it. Its inline. Its going to come on. No I dont have any experience with that perticular set. I have not had any bostons (Except my current home theatre setup) since the pro 650's and 653's were out (I miss those). Why dont we email boston to find out. But I dont think it will be nessesary. If I remember my training correctly the bulb is more likely to illuminate when an amp is clipping. Or if you are just putting an ass alot of power to it.
Yes, it will come on. When you over power the tweeter that is.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Whops forgot. So goes my question. What is your current setup.
The system is in a 2009 Pontiac G8 with the factory head unit, speaker level wires running to the Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2, EQ in the 3Sixty is set to flat. I have 2 sets of Boston SPZ60's running off a JL Audio HD600/4 that puts 150 watts RMS to each channel. The SPZ60's are rated to handle 150 watts RMS. The tweeter switch in each SPZ60 cross-over is set to "-2". The high-pass cross-over in the 3Sixty to control the SPZ60's is set to 110Hz with a mild 12db slope.

The lights in the cross-overs are not on all the time, but will get on the bright side when the beat gets busy.

Not related, but I also have a JL Audio HD750/1 to power a JL Audio 13W7. The sub is cut off at 80Hz with a sharper 24db slope.

This is my fifth mobile audio system that I built, and by far the best sounding one I've had. Very clean, unlike my shorts at times. Sorry, no details on that one:)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Nice setup. Im glad that boston is still making great speakers. I have been looking at the HD series amps. I have the slash series (450/4 and 500/1) in my wifes car.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Well for some reason they are getting WAY too much HF energy and are in constant compression, the scenario os akin to a ton of HF boost.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Huh, they don't sound bright though. Nothing is seeing a boost. In fact, I'm using the -4db switch in the cross-over for the HF. I think I'm going to call Boston.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK, I called Boston. Is said the lite is not just for the tweeter, but for the whole component set. And get this, not just for the whole set, but mostly for the woofer. He said it's normal for the lites to flash, but if they're getting excessively bright, might want to turn the signal down. We'll see, I think I might be good for now.

The customer service person at Boston was jealous of the set of speakers I had:)

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Is the lamp before or after the attenuation circuit?

Boston is going to tell you it's normal or turn it down.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts