DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just stumbled across a material I hadn't seen before, Lite MDF. Few manufacturerers make it. It's 1/3 lighter than regular 3/4" MDF, supposedly has nearly the same characteristics. Any of you guys have experience with it?

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
I just stumbled across a material I hadn't seen before, Lite MDF. Few manufacturerers make it. It's 1/3 lighter than regular 3/4" MDF, supposedly has nearly the same characteristics. Any of you guys have experience with it?
Yes and it's total crap.

Most of the light MDF products are made from pine.

Once in a while I'll come across regular MDF at Home Depot and it's actually this stuff.

When you cut it with a router it goes through like butter and makes a **** ton of dust compared to regular density MDF.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
If I'm making a pair of large rings I won't send a customer anything made from the low density material since it can break much easier and is even less resistant to moisture.

I just stick it in a corner and save it for a light duty project.

If you need lighter stuff you're better off going with a ply wood product since it'll hold up much better structurally and to the elements.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting. The weight savings is inconsequential to me, but always interested in new technology

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
my understanding of it from being in the woodworking business is that it is just a highly refined mdf that takes out alot of the heavier crap and impurities that regular mdf has in it.

I have used it dozens of time in the car enviorment with no draw backs compared to regular mdf. It is only about 20% lighter
But it makes a ton more and finer dust compared to heavier stuff.

It's not bonded as well.

·
Premium Member
4,428 Posts
But it makes a ton more and finer dust compared to heavier stuff.

It's not bonded as well.
It still has the same density as regular mdf, it is still "medium" density

I dont know how you translate fine dust to not bonded well, that has to do with the particles that it is made of, like I said before it is a refined MDF

·
Registered
595 Posts
IMHO finer particles would mean better bonding if all other things remained the same. If bigger particles were better we would all be using "chipboard" for our boxes.
Is Lite MDF anything like Trupan?

·
Registered
178 Posts
It still has the same density as regular mdf, it is still "medium" density

I dont know how you translate fine dust to not bonded well, that has to do with the particles that it is made of, like I said before it is a refined MDF

If you have 2 objects the same size, but one is lighter, they do not have the same density.

Lite MDF is a Marketing term, not a scientific term. It is being marketed as a cost effective alternative to situations where you might use MDF, but don't really need the strength MDF provides. It's main use is decorative moldings and such.

·
Premium Member
4,428 Posts
If you have 2 objects the same size, but one is lighter, they do not have the same density.

Lite MDF is a Marketing term, not a scientific term. It is being marketed as a cost effective alternative to situations where you might use MDF, but don't really need the strength MDF provides. It's main use is decorative moldings and such.
Denisty has nothing to do with weight

Taken from Wikipedia

"everyday usage, mass is commonly confused with weight. But, in physics and engineering, weight means the strength of the gravitational pull on the object; that is, how heavy it is, measured in units of newtons"

Mass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
178 Posts

Taken from Wikipedia

"everyday usage, mass is commonly confused with weight. But, in physics and engineering, weight means the strength of the gravitational pull on the object; that is, how heavy it is, measured in units of newtons"

"The distinction between mass and weight is unimportant for many practical purposes because the strength of gravity is very similar everywhere on the surface of the Earth. In such a constant gravitational field, the gravitational force exerted on an object (its weight) is directly proportional to its mass"

Weight - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Find the "mass" of a 2' X 4' X 1/2" sheet of MDF and Lite MDF and tell me they are the same.

·
Registered
7,408 Posts

Taken from Wikipedia

It most certainly does....

1cf of lead will not weigh the same as 1cf of feathers... peroid...

Now, if you said 1lb of lead VS 1lb of feathers, I'd STILL be right, because you'ld need a garbage bag full of feathers to make a pound, VS a 2" square block of lead to get 1lb..

In the above context, you could very well be right... BUT, a sheet of "lite" MDF is not nearly the same density as that of a normal sheet of MDF... peroid..

Find the "mass" of a 2' X 4' X 1/2" sheet of MDF and Lite MDF and tell me they are the same.
Word...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Trupan Ultralite works very well for sub enclosures. Cuts easier, less dust, easier on router bits, etc... and for big enclosures the weight savings can add up. Unfortunately it's $60 a sheet by me, so I use baltic birch which is $10 less and stronger...

·
Registered
2,742 Posts

Taken from Wikipedia

Gotta go with the others - in any meaningful sense, density = mass/unit of volume. If the a sheet with the same dimensions weighs less, it is less dense. It might have the same tensile strength, stiffness or other properties, but it doesn't have the same density.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
So if I don't have the two materials sitting side-by-side, how do I know which version of MDF I'm holding? Is there some marking I should be looking for?

·
Registered
687 Posts
I once went to a kitchen/plumbing place and they recommended what they called "wonder board" which I had never heard of. They explained that it is actually made of tiny plastic particles and is lighter in weight and doesn't bloat like a sponge when exposed to water.

I bought a sheet and was pretty impressed (this was about 7-8 years ago, I haven't seen this material around since I moved). It cost about 2 to 3x what MDF runs.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts