1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running a PPI 5440 in my cruze
I'm using the front speaker leads as speaker level inputs into the amp
I'm amplifying the front stock speakers and a Polk SR10

I just read on the PPI manual online that it has "balanced differential inputs)

"This circuitry is capable of eliminating noise radiated into your signal cables
by up to 40dB. This is equivalent to a noise reduction of approximately one
hundred times what the noise level would be without this circuitry. It provides
all the benefits of a true ‘balanced’ line without the need of any special
cables. This type of input works with any conventional
RCA cable."

I don't have any noise in the system and it sounds pretty good considering the stock speakers, but I'm wondering if I'd be better off adding a LOC and using RCA inputs instead of speaker level.

I don't have the money to run a MS-8 or Bitone even though i'd love the processing capabilities, so would a cheap LOC give me better sound?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,766 Posts
A LOC and speaker level inputs are essentially the same thing, but LOC's is for adding amps that lack speaker level inputs. There are some LOC's that claim they are of good quality, but the way I see it is if you need one then you are mismatching component levels anyway. IE if you are using such a high quality amp that has no speaker level inputs, then you have no business running a headunit that doesn't have rca outputs. Just my 2 cents, but I'm sure that doesn't apply to newer vehicles and their complex headunits nowadays. But what do I know.... I'm an 41 year old school head that used to be impressed with Realistic 40 watt boosters. :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you have no noise and no complaints, then why add an unneccesary part? Put that hard earned money toward a decent component set!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies! I'll leave it as it is.
Is it normal to have the gain settings at the lowest possible setting and still have a lot of volume with speaker level input?

·
Registered
7,766 Posts
Your amp probably can't take as much input voltage through the speaker level inputs as your factory system is putting out. No different than a headunit putting out say 4 volts hooked to an amp's rca that only goes to 2 volts.

Question though: does the vehicle come equipped with a factory amp? If so you might want to tap into the input wires instead of the speakers if your worried about burning up the amp's inputs.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a cruze Eco, the optional pioneer stereo wasn't an option on the Eco because they already pulled over 200lbs from the base model. So it is a base stereo, but a 2011 model.

I had the same zero gain with the same gear in my 2010 genesis coupe with the base stereo

Those 2 recent cars are my only experience with speaker level input

·
Registered
7,766 Posts
I wouldn't deem it as a problem unless the amp starts clipping too soon, heating up or something. Keep the LOC handy just in case. By the way what amp are you using? LOL nevermind I just scrolled up to the top... been cooking almost all day for my goddaughter's visit.

I looked up the manual. Claims it can take up to 12 volts input, but doesn't specify speaker level or rca. Surely can't be rca. That's a hell of a lot of input voltage!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It does heat up but only because I'm running a 4+4 sub when I shouldnt be. Only goes thermal in 30c+ weather. Amp was 80 bucks 5 years ago so I'm not concerned about it smoking

·
Registered
18 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it too much, after all, low gain is good gain ;)
Just be careful with how high you crank it. You could overwhelm it, but I don't think it's very likely.

I'd be much more about burning it up via low impedance!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts