DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had pretty bad luck with theft in the past and would like to put another layer between would be thief's and my Zapco goodness. I'm pretty sure I've seen pictures on here before where someone has done this.

I was thinking of using piano hinges but couldn't find a decent lock system that would work. I was thinking of something like this lock:

Could even use a biscuit joiner to cut the slot for the locking mechanism to slide into. Anyone have any insight?

Cheers,
Ben

·
Registered
365 Posts
The best way to keep a thief from stealing what's under your false floor is to build the floor so they won't know it's there. If you lock wood to wood, the lock assembly itself will give away the location and it'll be easy to break in.

I'd build a false floor with factory matching carpet, and lock it in place with screws countersunk so the carpet hides them. Properly done, a thief won't think there's anything to steal.

This exact scenario is half the reason my amps are going inside my quarter panels.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I've used locking hood pins on bed covers where the amps were in the bed of the truck. There are some slick designs out there, Google a little.
John

·
Registered
185 Posts
The best way to keep a thief from stealing what's under your false floor is to build the floor so they won't know it's there. If you lock wood to wood, the lock assembly itself will give away the location and it'll be easy to break in.

I'd build a false floor with factory matching carpet, and lock it in place with screws countersunk so the carpet hides them. Properly done, a thief won't think there's anything to steal.

This exact scenario is half the reason my amps are going inside my quarter panels.
+1

If you keep it looking stock they will walk right on by, and go hit the guys ride next to ya who has their stuff showing and is running around letting every one know that he is not stock.

I always aim to keep things looking stock, so that no one knows its there. I have the mentality of, " out of sight out of mind". So far I have not had anything stolen "knock on wood" that it will continue to stay that way.

But if you are really looking into a locking false floor then, I would suggest reinforcing the locking area with steel. That way they will really have to work at it so they can't just pop a lock and continue to have their shopping spree.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do agree with you guys who say to keep it stock. I actually retained my stock head unit and mounted my Denford down by my cup holders for just this reason. The problem is in the trunk the subs are IB so if they get into the trunk its pretty obvious things aren't stock.

What I'm looking for is the specific lock mechanism that would integrate well. I was hoping someone would know the name off one off hand. I've googled quite a bit with no real success.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I do agree with you guys who say to keep it stock. I actually retained my stock head unit and mounted my Denford down by my cup holders for just this reason. The problem is in the trunk the subs are IB so if they get into the trunk its pretty obvious things aren't stock.

What I'm looking for is the specific lock mechanism that would integrate well. I was hoping someone would know the name off one off hand. I've googled quite a bit with no real success.
I would think you could integrate one of these with very little hassle

I found them from here:
Security locks

I have used them on my privacy fence and have had zero issues I don't see why you can't integrate one in your install.

·
4,981 Posts
ditto on that, i have done a few, but its just not wroth it, having a lock there acutally suggests to thieves you got something there. where as if you hide the screws no one knows.

but, if you really want to make thieves lives hard, do what i do sometimes when the customer request that their stuff is as hard to steal as possible:

use 4 different types of screws to secure the gear and the floor, hex, torx, square, phillips etc.

just use it at random, like have 3 different types of screw securing a single amp...

·
Registered
185 Posts
I also like to use security screws and you can get them for a reasonable price. And without the key they will not be getting them before I get to them. (If that makes sense)

·
Human (not a robot)
2,408 Posts
The other bad side to this is that if they can't steal it immediately they may just decide to destroy your gear and/or the interior of your car just because it was hard to get to. I've seen subs cut with razor blades cause the box was bolted to the car really well. Also seen dashes kicked to pieces because thieves couldn't pull the radio out easily.

fuggin thieves :mad:

also here's some locks I thought of
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=168959-1277-MPB827&lpage=none
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=15344-214-1404&lpage=none
and I know you can buy the keyed lock like you showed with the "strong box" lock. I'm pretty sure Lowe's/Home Depot sell them but I can't find them on-line.

·
Registered
293 Posts
ditto on that, i have done a few, but its just not wroth it, having a lock there acutally suggests to thieves you got something there. where as if you hide the screws no one knows.

but, if you really want to make thieves lives hard, do what i do sometimes when the customer request that their stuff is as hard to steal as possible:

use 4 different types of screws to secure the gear and the floor, hex, torx, square, phillips etc.

just use it at random, like have 3 different types of screw securing a single amp...
:furious: :cwm23: :D

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The other bad side to this is that if they can't steal it immediately they may just decide to destroy your gear and/or the interior of your car just because it was hard to get to. I've seen subs cut with razor blades cause the box was bolted to the car really well. Also seen dashes kicked to pieces because thieves couldn't pull the radio out easily.

fuggin thieves :mad:

also here's some locks I thought of
National at Lowe's: Keyed Hasp Locks
Hickory Hardware at Lowe's: Keyed Sash Lock
and I know you can buy the keyed lock like you showed with the "strong box" lock. I'm pretty sure Lowe's/Home Depot sell them but I can't find them on-line.
Yeah that's what I thought but HD didn't have any that I could see.

I'm on the fence now. Security screws for the amps for sure. I agree with what you guys are saying with out of sight out of mind, however, with the subs in IB the baskets are very visible if you open the trunk.

Not sure how it works in the US but her in commie Manitoba we have public insurance. So the 4k or so I have in gear is only covered up to 1k.

Thanks for all of the replies everyone!

·
Registered
915 Posts
Simple solution, build a "beauty board" that goes across the trunk that hides the subs.

If they want it bad enough, they will take it. If they are already in your car, they are going to steal it or destroy it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Figured I'd throw up my thoughts and stuff I've done; I'm torn on the security screw thing because most of the time I've seen people use em it only leads to the vehicle and equiptment being damaged worse. I vote;
1. Security system
2. hide the amp with a false floor make sure to use plenty of ventalation (a good fan and vents on the false floor)
3. I've gone elaborate and made them lock use something like this since I hate extra keys;

Google Image Result for https://www.autotoys.com/pics/thumbs/t_powergatelock1.jpg

I wired it to my door locks on my alarm system so when it was armed the lid for my hidden amp cover was locked. When it was disarmed it was unlocked. I also used an additional channel to drive a linear actuator to motorize the compartment lid so I could open it and show it off if I liked. In my car I had a piece of plexi under the lid so that you could see the amp but you still couldn't access it to remove it. You would have had to disassemble more of the false floor.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts