DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To anyone reading, hello! I have enjoyed the site for a longtime and just recently decided to signup and participate. I have a few deadheads that I own that I am looking at for install (Clarion HX-D1, Clarion DRZ9255, and Pioneer DEX-P99RS). With the Clarion units I am wondering if people have experience with upgrading the internals (HX-D1 modifying to use McIntosh MDA5000)? I also currently own Helix MK2 Pro 8 to 10 with USB and Director, as well as a Mosconi 8 to 12 Aerospace with RCD controller. Interested again if others have much experience with modding their headhunts, and in what others have to say with pairing as far as head units and DSPs. I do have an old school AudioControl RTA to do testings within the cabin before and after. Currently amps are unknown, as are speakers and sub(s).

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Hey!
Very nice equipment list so far.
I also own modded HX-D1 in combination with Helix DSP Pro connected via COAX.... also a few friends had their HX-D2 modded to Coax output - conversion is simple and pretty cheap, performance benefit after mod is obvious.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very cool! Did you do mod to the HX-D1 yourself, or have someone do it for you? I have been trying to find information on how to do this, though have been coming up empty-handed so far. As much history as the DRZ9255 and DEX-P99RS have, I am super intrigued with modding and building around the HX-D1.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
a friend of mine did modification, I can ask him exactly what material did he used and from where he pulled output signal,...I didnt even once try to change source to TUNER, so not sure if it works trough the Coax output.....
You can also try to reach Matt Roberts here on this board, maybe some of members have his contact - he did mods to Headunits for a few members here if im not mistaken...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very cool! I do occasionally listen to turner and now with Bluetooth, curious as far as how that might be able to be incorporated. Personally, I think the McIntosh head units are some of the most esthetically pleasing head units of all time (again that's my personal opinion ? ); just wish they didn't cost an arm and a leg, that they had kept making and improving their lineup (USB, Bluetooth, etc.), and that aftermarket mobile audio was easier to incorporate with newer vehicles. Still, those old school units with great components and simple functions are timeless for a reason; and if this hobby was cheap, easy and everyone had passion for what they were listening to, then the market wouldn't be a niche group. It is incredible what some are able to achieve and like many, I'm inspired by what can be done with knowledge, imagination, determination and at times collaboration.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts