·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just did a little cheapy freeair testing between the Avalanche, IDMAX, and Lotus.

testing was done at 25hz:

By far, the Lotus had the quietest operation..followed by IDMAX then the Avalanche.

The Lotus had the quietest suspension and pole vent. there was a slight hiss from the pole vent, but it was very meniscule.

The IDMAX had some tubulence coming from the vent but with more noise coming from the suspension/rear cone area.

The Avalanche had more tubulence then the IDMAX in the pole vent but had a quiter suspension then the IDMAX.

I was trying to think of a better way i could explain this, so i just thought id measure it for you guys. I used a RadioShack digital dB meter and measured all front, side, and back, 1 foot away from the basket/motor @ around 10.7 volts.

Lotus: 10.6v
F - 99
S - 80
B - 93

IDMAX: 10.8v
F - 107
S - 91
B - 100

Avalanche: 10.8v
F - 102
S - 88
B - 97

(i really dont know why i did this because it has more to do with sensitivity :shrug:)

anyway, heres the fun part.. maximum suspension movement!

well..since i dont have any equipment to actually measure the movement, i just looked by eye and came to the conclusion that the Lotus and IDMAX have nearly the same amount of movement, with the IDMAX having just a tad bit more.. and of course, the Avalanche with the longest movement out of the three.

also, other things to note: The IDMAX has some serious problems with the whole moving cone, suspension, and surround making some serious noise near maximum movement. The Avalanche has some serious lead slap (hitting the spider) once you pass a centain point (but at this point it was already passing the IDMAX in overall movement). And the Lotus is pretty unforgiving when you push it too hard (bottoming out).

now, the whole point of me testing these speakers was just to see (hear) their freeair noise for personal reasons. whether this will help you, i doubt, but i plan to give a subjective review later while i have all three subs together...

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
personaly, I think all these vent/cone/suspension noises will be masked when ure playing music and the subs are in the boxes anyway

in your test, you were measuring how loud each sub was @ 25hz?
how did you separate tone from mechanical noises?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Holy crap, how did you get that so soon. I pray my pair comes soon then because I cant wait. Are you on the east or west coast? Maybe that would explain it. Please get that thing in a box and give us a review please! I would love to know how it stacks up against the MAX

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sqkev said:
personaly, I think all these vent/cone/suspension noises will be masked when ure playing music and the subs are in the boxes anyway

Yes, they will be masked when it is enclosed. Plus, this was at a constant 25hz at maximum movement. while playing music, where the sub doesnt hit below 30hz very often it wouldnt make as much noise.

i couldnt separate the sinewave from the machanical noises with my cheesy db meter but you could definitely hear them by ear. [at the "S" (side) measurement, most of the sinewave should be cancelling itself out.]

again, im not trying to say my testing methods were practical or useful, but i just wanted to post my findings. :)

rimshot said:
Holy crap, how did you get that so soon. I pray my pair comes soon then because I cant wait. Are you on the east or west coast? Maybe that would explain it. Please get that thing in a box and give us a review please! I would love to know how it stacks up against the MAX
im special.. :p

My team, www.TeamToxicBass.com is sponsored by www.AscendantAudio.com its not actually My sub, its my good friends (team member) subwoofer.

I have the Avalanche in my car right now and im located in Orange County, Southern California, if anyone wants to audition..?

10k2hvn @ gmail.com

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'd love to audition. What else do you have for me? :D I know you have experience with the LCY's...you have that setup? Maybe some mids (excel/other)? heh

I'm in Irvine...still shopping

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
sqkev said:

Definitely true... Personally I don't think there's much difference between subs in a car, except for how loud, how much power, and what size box. And of course how much $$$.

All these other "differences" people hear are IMHO just setup related.

I like to test subs more for the pride of ownership... just knowing you have the best built sub with all the attention to detail, lowest distortion, and no mechanical noises.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Hey Vinh, I'm jealous. Still waiting for my Avalanche 12.

Are you going to ID tomorrow (Sunday)? I just got back from an off road race and both me and my truck are really dirty. :)

I'd love to check out your system again with the AV15.

TT

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ID show..? hmm..it depends on how tonight goes...but i really want to go! -so mostly likely ill be there, but no guarantees..!

Archmage, YGM but maybe itll be good it we meet at the Image Dynamics IASCA show tomorrow..or just give me a call...

·
Registered
495 Posts
so are you going to tell us how it sounds?? It would be nice to know as alot of us are still waiting on ours. It would be nice to know how it compared to the MAX

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
rimshot said:
so are you going to tell us how it sounds?? It would be nice to know as alot of us are still waiting on ours. It would be nice to know how it compared to the MAX
:lol: sorry, i kinda forgot about this thread...

im kinda enjoying the sub too much and dont wanna change it out.... :wink:

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
>>REVIEW HERE<<

Aight! Here we go..

Changed out the Avalanche to the IDMAX then back to the Avalanche..

System (as of right now):

Alpine IVA-D300
Alpine PXA-H701
Alpine MRD-M1001
Tube Driver Blue 475
LCY 130 Ribbons
SEAS L18RNX (H1224)
Ascendant Audio Avalanche 12 / Image Dynamics IDMAX 12 ( / SEAS Lotus SW300 / Ascendant Audio Atlas )

Due to unforeseen circumstances, the SEAS Lotus SW300 was not able to make it to the end of the comparison.. and I currently do not have the Ascendant Audio Atlas in my possession, so Ill have to go on previous experience for these subs..

First, I want to say that theyre all awesome sounding subwoofers and with very slight differences in sound - and as NpDang says, subwoofers setups are setup dependant, but unfortunately, I could only used one subwoofer box that was too small for all the subs..!

The box measured 1 cubic internal half filled with polyfill.

The songs use were mainly '97 IASCA CD (any tracks with bass), USAC 2000 Test CD, and A Perfect Circle: Thirteenth Step (awesome album with lots of bass).

Crossovers used were mostly 50hz and 100hz @ 24db per octave (sub and mid) but I also tried many frequencies in between.. and the power used was 500 RMS @ 4 ohms for both subs.

Between the Avalanche and the IDMAX the Avalanche had more lowend. The Avalanche played 20hz very nicely and was more even to 30hz compared to the IDMAX. Middle subbass, was very hard to tell the difference besides that fact that the IDMAX sounded slightly hollow, echoey, or quivery overall, while the Avalanche sounded smooth all the way through.. Upperbass, is where I made my final decision where I feel the Avalanche sounded better. While crossed over at 100hz I found that Avalanche to blend-in very well with my midbasses. Impact, decay, and tone seemed perfect with the music - even when turned up to bass-heavy still sounded nice! it wasnt 'til bass-very-heavy that the sub started to separate from the midbasses. While the IDMAX just didnt seem to blend very well at all, crossed over that high - even at low levels.. Overall output sounded about the same by ear (didnt have a suitable meter in hand) with the Avanlanche seeming slightly louder.

Between the Atlas and Lotus, the Atlas has slightly more lowend while the Lotus takes the upperbass while sounding slightly more musical and buttery-smooooooth throughout everything! Output are about the same..

All the subs (this is easier): (1 to 4: "1" being the best performer)

Lowend (natural sensitivity / can be boasted):
1) Avalanche
2) IDMAX
3) Atlas
4) Lotus

Upper Subbass:
1) Lotus
2) Atlas
3) Avalanche
4) IDMAX

Smoothness:
1) Lotus
2) Atlas
3) Avalanche
4) IDMAX

Musicalness:
1) Lotus
2) Atlas
3) Avalanche
4) IDMAX

Output:
1) Avalanche
2) IDMAX
3) Atlas / Lotus

Personal Preference (output aside):
1) Lotus
2) Atlas
3) Avalanche
4) IDMAX

Am I forgeting something??

-10k, Vinny N.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Casedot said:
I think you need to get a differnet box for that MAX.
that may be true, but ALL the subs auditioned actually need larger boxes.. :wink:

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
newtitan said:
so wheres that AV 12 review for the DIY collective?
read last post of page 1. :wink:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.