DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, newb here looking to upgrade my current head unit. I have been running an Alpine CDA-9887 for a couple years, love the features, not such a fan of the ever so slight midrange harshness. Really wasnt planning an upgrade, however it has been really flakey lately so I figured what the hell.

My system is being run fully active, everything crossed by the HU. I have a set of Morel MT-23 tweets, Morel Supremo 6" mids along with a JL Audio 12w7 in a sealed enclosure. Powering the tweets/mids is an old school Phoenix Gold ZX-450 while I have the velvet jackhammer PG ZPA 0.5 on the sub.

My goal is to improve my sq while also maintaining my features. I obviously need the active crossovers and time alignment while at the bare minimum I also need satellite radio access along with hopefully a USB input for my smartphone. I listen to satellite radio 50% of the time while the rest of my listening is CD.

So what does everybody recommend? Price isnt so much a factor, although keeping it to the $500-600 range would be sweet.

Thanks so much for the hand!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That Pioneer DEX-P99RS sure looks nice but man, $1200!!! Think it is worth the dough? Is it the best SQ HU on the market today?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sorry, indeed i didn't read everything. Well, you mentioned the P99RS, i think it's the only choice nowadays. Unless you get some nice "oldskoo" head unit with processor, like Sony C90 + XDP4000X.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry, indeed i didn't read everything. Well, you mentioned the P99RS, i think it's the only choice nowadays. Unless you get some nice "oldskoo" head unit with processor, like Sony C90 + XDP4000X.
So the SQ on the P99RS is right up with there with say a 7909 or DRZ?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Some people say the SQ on P99RS is as good as DRZ's, but never read any comparison with 7909.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some people say the SQ on P99RS is as good as DRZ's, but never read any comparison with 7909.
I have to figure by the time I would add an outboard processor for time alignment/crossovers the sound difference would be nil at best.

Not to mention the added cost and lack of features or warranty on any 7909 that I would purchase.

I am going to keep it real though, I cringe at the thought of a Pioneer HU in my car, I have never owned one in my life and I have always thought they were mid-fi at best.

It appears times have changed. I cant find anything else on the market that compares, at any price. Unless something = or > at a better price comes up shortly I will be holding off for a P99RS, I may have to wait a few more months but I think it will be worth it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
x4 on the P99RS. Still waiting to install mine, but I've read of at least one ex alpine f1 owner being happy with the move to P99RS...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts