DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a pair of Lanzar opti 6.1s installed. It was my first install so I went super cheap. I have out grown these and looking to upgrade.

Im looking to put a pair of components speakers per side, 2 in each door. I will be running them passive and they must be 5.25. My budget is $1000 for the 2 pairs.

My amp will be replaced after I decide on the brand of speakers I get.

The car is a 1997 accord coupe with fully deadened doors. I listen to alot of techno. Im looking to get LOUD while still maintaining SQ. I think I covered all the usual questions.

Let the sugesstions pour in!

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
why do they have to be 5.25"? 6.5" are a much better choice for midbass and are ALOT more of them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its just of where I plan on putting the second sets.....5.25s would fit perfectly. However if I can find pre made kick pods for my car I MAY consider getting 6.5s

Right now i'm just looking at speaker suggestions preferably 5.25s. However I'm willing to take suggestions on 6.5s as well.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
its just gonna be tougher to find high quality midbasses in 5.25" size. not to mention, that 6.5" will give you more volume per watt than a 5.25" will.

since you are making custom pods anyway, I would go with 6.5" that is just me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Na wont be making them. If I can find premade pods for my car i may get them. Got any component suggestions for me?

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
I have a set of image dynamics x65 in my truck. will take about 150-200 watts and they sound amazing. plus they are pretty efficient. 91dB 1w/1m 2 pair of those would get louder than you need, lol.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
its just gonna be tougher to find high quality midbasses in 5.25" size. not to mention, that 6.5" will give you more volume per watt than a 5.25" will.

since you are making custom pods anyway, I would go with 6.5" that is just me.
The OP is talking about DUAL 5.25" per door. If you can fit it, I would do that and not 6.5" (it's what I'm doing actually in my new build).

(2) 5.25" has a surface area (SD) similar to an 8" speaker (larger than 6.5") and will bump you down to 2-ohm (if using typical 4-ohm speakers) which will give more power to the speakers...and therefore more "volume per watt" than the 6.5" option. It will also likely be able to extend lower because excursion is less per driver and have a bit better QTC since it isn't essentially IB in the door because the "leaky enclosure" size is shared and therefore cut in half.

To the OP, I say go for it. I'm personally planning to use JBL c508GTi mids, but I bought them because I needed the crossovers and tweeters. If you already have crossovers and tweeters, I'd get raw drivers from Solen (since it's in Canada). If you need the tweeters and crossover, I'd look at the Massive Audio ones. I have not personally used them, but they are fairly cheap and have positive reviews so far.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
The OP is talking about DUAL 5.25" per door. If you can fit it, I would do that and not 6.5" (it's what I'm doing actually in my new build).

(2) 5.25" has a surface area (SD) similar to an 8" speaker (larger than 6.5") and will bump you down to 2-ohm (if using typical 4-ohm speakers) which will give more power to the speakers...and therefore more "volume per watt" than the 6.5" option. It will also likely be able to extend lower because excursion is less per driver and have a bit better QTC since it isn't essentially IB in the door because the "leaky enclosure" size is shared and therefore cut in half.

To the OP, I say go for it. I'm personally planning to use JBL c508GTi mids, but I bought them because I needed the crossovers and tweeters. If you already have crossovers and tweeters, I'd get raw drivers from Solen (since it's in Canada). If you need the tweeters and crossover, I'd look at the Massive Audio ones. I have not personally used them, but they are fairly cheap and have positive reviews so far.

I am not suggesting he replace (2) 5.25 with (1) 6.5". I was suggesting (2) 6.5" per door instead of the 5.25"

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I am not suggesting he replace (2) 5.25 with (1) 6.5". I was suggesting (2) 6.5" per door instead of the 5.25"
My bad for misunderstanding. I think that is a bit of a tall order though if he is looking for pre-made kicks. The reason I'm running dual 5.25" is because my wife's car has 6x9's up front from the factory and I can fit them without cutting metal (that's one of her "no-no's"). If he can fit dual 6.5", than I don't think it's a bad idea.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
pionkej, I have slight OCD so going active wouldnt be a good idea lol. I like the simplicity of comps and yes ideally i would like to fit 5.25s.

Ive been recommended dls upis, cdt es 520, and recently the IDs which are 6.5

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I actually just looked into the qlogic kick pods and they dont have great reviews. So im sticking to fitting 5.25s in teh doors.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
pionkej, I have slight OCD so going active wouldnt be a good idea lol. I like the simplicity of comps and yes ideally i would like to fit 5.25s.

Ive been recommended dls upis, cdt es 520, and recently the IDs which are 6.5
Well, you can't run the speakers bridged off the passive crossover without changing the crossover point (it is designed around the impedance of the speaker).

So you will either have to run one speaker off an amp and set the crossover with the amp, or run everything active. It isn't as difficult as you think, and if it scares you, just use the typical crossover point most passives use (3,500hz @ 12db). You can get an old JL Slash series amp and it will do just that.

The 500/5 seems like a perfect fit for you since it is 100x2/2x25/250x1. Run the 5.25" off channel 1/2 (cross at 3500), tweeters off 3/4 (cross at 3500), and sub off channel 5. Simple one-amp solution.

EDIT: You can bridge them and run them off the passive, but I wouldn't do it and don't recommend it for the reasons above.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Couldnt I just get a 400x4 channel amp and run each speaker to each channel via crossovers or maybe brigde the amp?

Assuming each speaker is 100 wrms.
I'm not sure I follow. Is this how you plan to run it:

Ch. 1 - Left Midbass #1 (use amp's crossover)
Ch. 2 - Right Midbass #1 (use amp's crossover)
Ch. 3 - Left Component set
Ch. 4 - Right Component set

Or are you planning to run 4 full sets of components (2 midbass per side AND 2 tweeters per side) on each channel?

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
^ yea i plan on running 4 full sets of 2-way comps.

4 midbass and 4 tweeters. However i might just use 1 tweeter per pair.
Then your plan should work.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts