DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have a new full size Ram regular cab, and was also born with significant hearing loss. When I'm on the road, I like to crank the tunes up and take the hearing aids out to experience proper dynamic range, etc. When I do this, I need to crank up the high frequencies such that most people would find the sound too shrill.

What can you recommend I look into on a reasonable budget? (Let's say I keep the factory HU for now and just want to drop in efficient replacement components and/or amps.)

thanks!

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Infinity tweeters instantly came to mind. I doubt you'll find anything brighter. I used to brace myself when something with treble was about to come on.

After thinking about it, are you sure you need something bright up top or do you need something that goes very loud? Is your hearing loss pretty much even or mostly at the higher frequencies, judging from your post it sounds like mostly upper frequencies. Infinities are cheap and bright but they're not overly detailed either. Maybe there are better tweeters that are bright but sound good. I've heard the Focal Be and they're bright but definitely not budget tweeters and I've read on this board that some MBQuart stuff is bright.

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
Certain MB Quart and Infinity tweeters will rip a normal persons ears to pieces. One thing that comes to mind is horn tweeters. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=277-084I bet you could get these in your stock dash locations...BARELY. Make sure you measure to see what can and can't go in there...and amp em good:DFor midbasses some buyout drivers should do fine or just put a little extra power on your stockers.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys - I don't need anything super crazy. :D

For reference, at home I listen to regular sennheiser headphones cranked up and those work just fine.

What I'd like to get out of this setup is healthy volume levels with lots of definition, clarity, dynamic range, etc. I'm not asking for much... ;)

I'm afraid of running anything but the stock hu for fear of being broken into, so everything needs to be as stealthy as possible. I have no problem running amps and seperates as long as it all tucks away and looks factory.

Thanks again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts