DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
@KFXGUY I just had a read through the DSP-LP manual ... that's a cool, little piece of kit. If you end up getting a multichannel DSP, and want to sell the DSP-LP ... let me know
I hate having multiple units when one can be used to do everything, but I may end up just buying a separate unit for my highs. I haven’t decided yet. I need to worry about getting my bass situation lined out first. Car has been apart for almost two weeks now because I’m still waiting on my subs that were supposed to be here days ago

·
Registered
2005 Pontiac GTO
287 Posts
I thought you were looking for a DSP for the mids + lows (ie: Silverflutes and sub), not the highs (ie: whispers and dayton tweets)?

In any case ... 12 is a lot of speakers to try and balance in a car environment. You're definitely getting a lot of cancellations and summations going on with so many drivers playing. It may seem strange, but the mid-range has a significant impact in how you perceive the sub to play. When I finally got my front stage dialed in, I was amazed at how it affected the sub performance, without making any changes to the sub. All of a sudden my bass became punchy and strong, and located in front of me instead of behind. It has to do with the nuances in how the brain perceives the music, and how even a bass kick or bass guitar has frequencies above the sub cut-off range ...

Just something to think about. If you do decide to get a DSP .. it might be worth experimenting when you install it. Try running just the front door and dash speakers off the 4x100 RF amp, plus the subs on the 1x750 amp, both through the DSP. Run the calibrations, and see what you think. If you don't like it, nothing is lost except a bit of time ... just rewire things back to operating all 12 drivers.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I meant a dsp for my mids. It was a not being specific typo. I’m good with what’s in the dash. Because the tweets are so loud and bright, it allowed me to cut a lot of higher frequencies out on my eq and tone down the whispers to match without using a band pass crossover. It all blends pretty well. The only issue I have with the mids is they breakup (for lack of a better description) around 5000-6000hz at higher volume before putting some passive Dayton crossovers on them. They would probably do better if I removed those x overs and used a dsp instead, but that’s later. I’ll get through my sub debacle first and then worry about that. Or it may end up being good enough. We shall see.

·
Registered
2005 Pontiac GTO
287 Posts
Reactions: Ali-323i
41 - 46 of 46 Posts