DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see ALOT of people on here raving about "Peerless", "Seas-Lotus" & "Ascendant Atlas". I have never heard or heard of these before. How do they compare to DLS, Dynaudio or Focal? I was looking to run them off of either a Pioneer Premier PRS-D3000SPL -or- Zapco Reference 500.1 amp. Can anyone help me? Thanks :)

·
Registered
578 Posts
If you are looking for a small box SQ sub, I highly recommend a Diamond Audio D6 12"... can take up to a 1000watts. Optimal sealed enclosure .88 to 1.2 ^ 3 before driver displacement.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Without reading the posted links, I would say Image Dynamics IDQ12, or possibly trying out a Sound Splinter RL-p. I also like Resonant Engineering SE and XXX series, and Treo Engineering TSX series, Crystal Comp12, and the Diamond Audios are nice too.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
racerraul said:
If you are looking for a small box SQ sub, I highly recommend a Diamond Audio D6 12"... can take up to a 1000watts. Optimal sealed enclosure .88 to 1.2 ^ 3 before driver displacement.
Second that... :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for all of your help. To give some more background info, I am looking to put this sub/amp combo into a 2006 Mercedes with a factory 7.1 surround sound setup. I dont want to tear into the factory electronics to much, but want to ditch the sad excuse for a factory sub. So far, The Image Dynamics subs look awesome as I am looking to use a small enclosure that will be hidden behind a factory trunk panel for a stealth install. Thanks Again for all of your help everyone, this site is awesome.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
The Sound Splinter rli8 is another great sub to look into. Doesnt need alot of space...

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
vibrator said:
IDmax is a nice unit. expinsive, but nice
Very expensive, and very large unit. I doubt you can do an IDMAX12 in a "stealth" enclosure, unless you drive a Suburban...:)

·
Registered
578 Posts
hcbassplay said:
I had a lot of fun with my Diamond Audio M5....
M5 were very good subs in their time... the new D6 (aka M6MkII) is a far much better subwoofer, even better than their then top of the line MacDaddy...

The Diamond Audio D9 TDX bested the IDMAX in "subjective" SQ tests over ICIX in both sealed & vented enclosures. Taking 2nd to none other than the JLw7...

IMHO, I am beginning to think the Diamond D6 is a better SQ sub than the D9 TDX...

The D6 can even be used in Free Air setups with as little as 75watts... I would not recommend more than 150watts...

Just some insight on a Driver that hardly gets any time on forums.

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
The regular Arc Audio is a great choice as well, not really big, not really heavy, takes a bit of air space, 16mm xmax is nice for some decent SPL, plays fairly low, great SQ.

We have a 15" flush mounted in the floor of our tC in a 2.2 cube sealed box, total weight is 42lbs with the enclosure. Arc 2500 for power, averaged 138.4 dB for 2 minutes on music and a new kind of competition. No loss of interior space, three amps and a big sub and some storage room left, stealthy all the way;)

We use the 10" verison for our under front passenger seat sub system we manf for the Subaru Impreza chassis cars, STI, WRX, Forester, etc. Excellent up front bass, great SQ, decent SPL, only 17lbs total weight and totally stealth.

Just another option, so many great subs on the market today, I just need a flat one that has some SPL for other cars with less room under the seats, anything new on the horizon?

We have a Flatline on hand to test in our car, just no time yet to do so, going to build a new enclusure so we can just swap them back and forth to see what we prefer. I have heard this sub quite alot in other installs, sweet indeed:)

Rick

·
Registered
149 Posts
I just had a regular ARC12D2 and it was a nice piece too; got some good sounds... I like the XLS10 I currently own better, but I guess I always like what I currently own better :D

If I hadn't picked the Peerless the M6 would have been my next choice but I remember my old diamond sub- while one of my favorites was also the most power hungry, juice sucking, battery killing sub I've ever owned. It just never could get enough. It didn't sound underpowered, it just wanted more and more and more. I am only powering with a 75x2 Zapco bridged so I don't exactly have gobs of power... the 92db XLS10 works brilliantly.

·
Registered
206 Posts
How about either a :
http://yellow.mynethost.com/~bv126368/shop/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=51&osCsid=c99a830580c922b1e6e11858db076845
or a :
http://www.phase-evolution.de/produkte.asp?p=subwoofer&grp=6&ser=44&view=serie&lang=EN
for a stealth install.
Both subs are excellent "musical" subs for a stealth enclosure,
although the DB levels won't have the same potential of some of the previously mentioned subs.
Both have very good build quality. Aliante's have very good low end extension for their size.

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Exactly... for a sound quality install with excellent punch and dynamics you really don't need more than 16mm or so of xmax.

Look for a driver with low distortion, especially above 80hz and preferably something with a low self inductance and relatively good efficiency.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts