DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Looking for midranges, preferably 3 inch, price tag max $200 / pair.
System now is with 2 way active JBL Club 605csq (6.5 inch woofer @90W Rms and silk some jbl tweeter). Sub Audison Prima APS 10D in custom box.
Amps Pioneer 8704 (4x 150W @ 2Ohm) and Pioneer 8701 (sub 1x 500W @2 Ohm)

Planning to get Audison Voce 3.0 and mount it in A pillars, leaving JBL woofers inside the door (door damped and treated) and also leave JBL Club tweeters (they look the same as the standalone jbl club tweeters, not much data but suggesting crossing @ 5kHz).

Looked at various midranges and puzzled. Either some have only 20W Rms (peerless etc) or others are prohibitely too expensive.

1. What midrange you'd recommend for the price of Audison Voce 3?
2. Assuming I'd be running woofers crossed @80Hz and @300, what rms wattage od midrange I should get?

I presume I'd be leaving jbl tweeters as they are 3/4 inch silk edge driven and in active cross they are quite smooth.

All 3 way speakers will be fully active crossovered (dsp with 31 band PEQ and TA).
I'm not a fan of huge SPL level, but want to have quite SQ in the car. However there are instances I'd pump full 95W RMS per channel.

Help very much appreciated.

BTW, jbl passive crossover was @5kHz between woofer and tweeter. Madness?? How this woofer can do nicely 80Hz to 5kHz?

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Wattage is not necessarily the entire picture, all mids will handle similar wattage within their correct cross over range.

Placing mids for 3 way on a pillars sounds good , where is the current tweeter located ?
Hope you have accounted for 2 extra channel on the amplifier needed.

·
Registered
4,788 Posts
Hi
Looking for midranges, preferably 3 inch, price tag max $200 / pair.
System now is with 2 way active JBL Club 605csq (6.5 inch woofer @90W Rms and silk some jbl tweeter). Sub Audison Prima APS 10D in custom box.
Amps Pioneer 8704 (4x 150W @ 2Ohm) and Pioneer 8701 (sub 1x 500W @2 Ohm)

Planning to get Audison Voce 3.0 and mount it in A pillars, leaving JBL woofers inside the door (door damped and treated) and also leave JBL Club tweeters (they look the same as the standalone jbl club tweeters, not much data but suggesting crossing @ 5kHz).

Looked at various midranges and puzzled. Either some have only 20W Rms (peerless etc) or others are prohibitely too expensive.

1. What midrange you'd recommend for the price of Audison Voce 3?
2. Assuming I'd be running woofers crossed @80Hz and @300, what rms wattage od midrange I should get?

I presume I'd be leaving jbl tweeters as they are 3/4 inch silk edge driven and in active cross they are quite smooth.

All 3 way speakers will be fully active crossovered (dsp with 31 band PEQ and TA).
I'm not a fan of huge SPL level, but want to have quite SQ in the car. However there are instances I'd pump full 95W RMS per channel.

Help very much appreciated.

BTW, jbl passive crossover was @5kHz between woofer and tweeter. Madness?? How this woofer can do nicely 80Hz to 5kHz?
They're at the top of your budget, but it'll be extremely difficult to top the Xcelsus XXM325 3" mids unless you spend 2x-3x the price. I'm using these as opposed to the Focal Utopia 3.5WM, and a few other respected members here are using them as well with excellent results. I'd assume that you'll be able to acquire these in the U.K. ...

And a speaker will only need significantly more power as you start to try to reproduce frequencies below ~150-100 Hz. Any standard midrange that is expected to play a bandpass from 200Hz or 300Hz and up will only need a few watts to ~25 Watts as very little xmax is required to reproduce that frequency range. Your available 95w @ 4 ohms will be more than adequate for a 3" midrange.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
S
Wattage is not necessarily the entire picture, all mids will handle similar wattage within their correct cross over range.

Placing mids for 3 way on a pillars sounds good , where is the current tweeter located ?
Hope you have accounted for 2 extra channel on the amplifier needed.
I have accounted. Mids will use two channels from pioneer 8704 shared with woofers and tweeters will use additional 2x 65W Rms amp.
Tweeters are located on the dash but will be moved to the A pillars together with mids

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They're at the top of your budget, but it'll be extremely difficult to top the Xcelsus XXM325 3" mids unless you spend 2x-3x the price. I'm using these as opposed to the Focal Utopia 3.5WM, and a few other respected members here are using them as well with excellent results. I'd assume that you'll be able to acquire these in the U.K. ...

And a speaker will only need significantly more power as you start to try to reproduce frequencies below ~150-100 Hz. Any standard midrange that is expected to play a bandpass from 200Hz or 300Hz and up will only need a few watts to ~25 Watts as very little xmax is required to reproduce that frequency range. Your available 95w @ 4 ohms will be more than adequate for a 3" midrange.
N/A in the UK. Import from the continent and before duty / VAT they would be over $350... 🙄

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
S
I have accounted. Mids will use two channels from pioneer 8704 shared with woofers and tweeters will use additional 2x 65W Rms amp.
Tweeters are located on the dash but will be moved to the A pillars together with mids
I presume once you add the mid you will have go full active and will need 6 individual channels of amplifier apart from the separate subwoofer amp

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I u
but... midrange is the most important with your front stage. this is one particular driver that i dont compromise with. these mids can handle the power, play lower and sound better than speaker recomended in this post.
I understand. But I also have set budget and getting these would also mean to pair them up with something better than jbl woofer or tweeter. I believe there are some good drivers up to 200 USD / pair. I'm not looking for best drivers but reasonably good ones. The reason I'm getting 3 way is just very simple, vocals now are reproduces by door mounted woofers and it's really annoying, beaming and distortion when woofer hits also midbass in the same time.
I read a few posts here on this forum and they are excellent drivers out there which have good price / quality ratio.
I'd go immediately for scanspeak 10f if not the RMS power I'm bit afraid of exceeding

Also consider Dayton audio, audison voce 3, Hertz Mille.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
I u
I understand. But I also have set budget and getting these would also mean to pair them up with something better than jbl woofer or tweeter. I believe there are some good drivers up to 200 USD / pair. I'm not looking for best drivers but reasonably good ones. The reason I'm getting 3 way is just very simple, vocals now are reproduces by door mounted woofers and it's really annoying, beaming and distortion when woofer hits also midbass in the same time.
I read a few posts here on this forum and they are excellent drivers out there which have good price / quality ratio.
I'd go immediately for scanspeak 10f if not the RMS power I'm bit afraid of exceeding

Also consider Dayton audio, audison voce 3, Hertz Mille.
Have a look at the sb acoustics sb12mnrx2 if you can fit a 12cm driver, they will play down to 160 and take some hammer, cheap also

If you buy from sound imports they knock the vat off and then you won’t pay any on import as it’s below the vat threshold (it should be taken at source as they should register for vat with the U.K. gov, but don’t 😮) shhhhh 😉

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Have a look at the sb acoustics sb12mnrx2 if you can fit a 12cm driver, they will play down to 160 and take some hammer, cheap also

If you buy from sound imports they knock the vat off and then you won’t pay any on import as it’s below the vat threshold (it should be taken at source as they should register for vat with the U.K. gov, but don’t 😮) shhhhh 😉
Nice one
Depth would be a problem (over 6cm) and I'd need to check it in winisd to see what enclosure it needs (I think it'd be a bit too large for my a pillars).
I'd cross mid around 300-400 Hz I guess so something smaller please 😁

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
I’m that case the scan speak 10f is one of the best… 400-500hz though

The micro precision 5 series 5.80 is an excellent little midrange that can be crossed around 300-350 just fine 👍🏼 And would meet budget

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I’m that case the scan speak 10f is one of the best… 400-500hz though

The micro precision 5 series 5.80 is an excellent little midrange that can be crossed around 300-350 just fine 👍🏼 And would meet budget
This one?
If yes, that's double my budget (if per pair) or quadruple (if for one)!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.