DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking doing the switch to active.

I have a 3 way kit in front and will eventually have a sub.

Looked at some audiocontrol and Zapco. I have Zapco amps.

I already bought a SLX-2 but never installed it.

What should I get?

Thanks

·
Registered
271 Posts
audio control sucks because the x/o points are fixed... you have to replace the chips if you want different points

us amps made a simple variable 3 way

alto mobile makes some two

personaly id just get the clarion dzr 9255 HU from sounddomain at $800 price matched and be done w/ it

·
Ignorance is Bliss
181 Posts
pervo said:
audio control sucks because the x/o points are fixed... you have to replace the chips if you want different points

us amps made a simple variable 3 way

alto mobile makes some two

personaly id just get the clarion dzr 9255 HU from sounddomain at $800 price matched and be done w/ it
pricematched to where?

·
Registered
271 Posts
google search..... ive reformatted my harddrive since

they have matched me twice at that price but both times something came up.... some day some day lol

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't know audiocontrol had fixed xover points. I was looking at the image on their website and was wondering how you could change it... that explains it.

Opinions on the SLX4?? sucks that you have to by a bunch of Zapco symbilinks but something else??

Looking for a Nakamichi unit

·
Registered
52 Posts
Audiocontrol xover points are not 'fixed'. They are practically infinitely adjustable. They do however require about 30 seconds and a screwdriver to adjust. And they share xover points, meaning you can't leave a gap or make a frequency overlap.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
The digital xover units from Audio Control are excellent, you can do just about anything...

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
trains are bad said:
And they share xover points, meaning you can't leave a gap or make a frequency overlap.
:confused:

Yes you can. I have an Audio Control 3XS right now. Using the "sub" output I'm bandpassing my mids from 33 to 1500Hz, and using the high output I'm high-passing from 2100Hz up.

But man... making those chips is a total PITA...

I have a Kicker SX900.4 waiting for me at home when I go home next week from school :D . 1/12th octave xover steps, with 6 to 36db slopes, all electronically controlled. :cool:

-aaron

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I guess an audiocontrol 6XS would be what I need?

And if I eventually want a processor, what should I get?

·
Registered
618 Posts
carter said:
I didn't know audiocontrol had fixed xover points. I was looking at the image on their website and was wondering how you could change it... that explains it.

Opinions on the SLX4?? sucks that you have to by a bunch of Zapco symbilinks but something else??

Looking for a Nakamichi unit
Haven't used the SLX4 so I can't really comment on it, but I am using (and love) the zapco SP7-SL and eq30's. Very solid equipment. If you are already using zapco amps w/symbilink to drive the phantom power it is probably a good choice- not so otherwise, as the zapco psi-sl/hpsi-sl is a terribly designed component. As far as symbilink cables go, partsexpress just bought out the remaining stock of 3' balanced minidin cables from soundstream. These should be the same as symbilink (I'll let you know for sure on friday) and are on sale for $.49 each, so if you can fit all of your equipment within 3 feet of the crossover, you might be able to do it fairly cheaply.

I've used some of the other crossovers mentioned in this thread- USX3 is very nice but will only do 3-way front, won't do your sub. However you could add the SLX2 to it (or any other 3-way crossover for that matter) and that would work fine. The audio control 6XS will not do 4-way, but you might be able to do that with 4XS. I can't remember but seems there was a trick to doing it posted in the audio control knowledge base.

You might look into either the ppi frx-456 or the kef KE6, both are 4 channel and have balanced inputs and outputs. Pete3636 has a kef for sale over at icixsound.com, and the ppi is always available cheap on ebay.

·
Registered
271 Posts
i dont understand why you want a nak and external x/o w/ no time alignment or eq when you could have the clarion which is better in every respect and probably cheaper :confused:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am keeping the clarion deck in mind. Problem with an all in one is that it is all in one. If something starts to freegame on me, I have to change everything. The other thing is that those damn thieves like H/U more then external xovers.

Other thing is that it will cost less to buy a Nak unit and a X/o.

Plus that I might not change the radio after all.

But Pervo, is the Clarion really better then having a Nakamichi deck with a SPL7 on symbilink???

Thanks SQ_bronco, let me know if I can get those cheap minidin wires...

·
Ignorance is Bliss
181 Posts
carter said:
I am keeping the clarion deck in mind. Problem with an all in one is that it is all in one. If something starts to freegame on me, I have to change everything. The other thing is that those damn thieves like H/U more then external xovers.

Other thing is that it will cost less to buy a Nak unit and a X/o.

Plus that I might not change the radio after all.

But Pervo, is the Clarion really better then having a Nakamichi deck with a SPL7 on symbilink???

Thanks SQ_bronco, let me know if I can get those cheap minidin wires...
The nakamichi CD700MKII hands down destroys the clarion DRZ9255 in sonic quality. Keep in mind, you paying around $1800 for something that ONLY plays cd's, it has no processing, no bells and whistles, only plays cd's. I've done A/B comparison with both units off an audison VRX powering diamond D9 components, and the nak is probably the best on the market now (freely availible unlike the F1...).

I probably will get a clarion though, due to budget and ease of having just one unit. Especially now that i find out that sound domain will price match it down to 800, just a deal too good to give up. Also the clarion has an user interface similar to the nak cd400-cd500 which is what i own and is acustomed too over the years. Very simple and clean design.

If your looking to get a nakcd500, i would get the top of the line eclipse over it instead, unless you really desire the plan jane look.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I do like the plain look and I was thinking of a CD-500.

Why take the Eclipse instead of the Nak?

What other all in one units are there??

The Clarion 9255 has an eq and active x/o built-in? It's starting to look a hole lot more interesting.

·
Ignorance is Bliss
181 Posts
i think the eclipse is slightly better then the nak cd500. not to mention the cd400 is plauged with problems with the cd mechanism and skipping issues. the eclipse might be a more solid deck, whereas the cd500 is the "improved" cd400 with mp3 support and slightly better internals. I own the cd400 and i love it, but i dont feel it's good enough for DIY flexability and adjustability.

Also the eclipse has TA, x/o and equalizer, so you wouldn't really need external stuff. While being the same price as a CD500, i feel it's just a better buy IMO.

I'm debating over the eclipse vs teh clarion drz9255.... Mainly the huge price diffrence and trying to decide if the performance gain in the price justifies the cost...

·
Ignorance is Bliss
181 Posts
i've also done A/B comparison with the 2nd best eclipse model (the $400 one) with my nak CD400 on Diamond D7 amps running infinity perfect 6.1 speakers, and the eclipse sounded just a tad more musical over my nak... But i really can't stand the dual knobs for volume and changing tracks...

·
Registered
137 Posts
If you ever plan on getting an equalizer, you should invest into and Eclipse 2102. It won a CES award for best equalizer a few years ago and it sounds excellent. I have 2 of them in my Integra and they make my speakers sing. I can't wait to hear my Seas Reference on them. You could probably get one brand new for around $220.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Woah, woah, woah... too much "I think" this or that or "I did" some uncontrolled tests here & there...

Let's have some scientific proof here... not interested in opinions based on price.

Here is an excellent read on the Clarion DRZ...
http://forum.elitecaraudio.com/showthread.php?threadid=109236

The beauty of an all in one unit as good as the Clarion is that you have less to install, thus less chances of induced noise & all controls are available from the tuning chair.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts