DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m looking to put together a small system in my current car, but want to spend absolutely as little money as possible. I already have some BC25 tweeters left over from a past project and a prefab JL 8w3 sub, along with all the necessary amps. I just need a decent 6.5 woofer that will handle more wattage than my current door speakers. I’ve had silver flutes in the past, but they are just too big and also honestly too expensive for what I’m trying to do here. I really don’t want to spend anymore than like $20 MAX on each woofer. What do you guys recommend? The car is a 2016 Mazda 3 and I will not be sealing the doors. Thanks!

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
For what you are piecing together, you could have bought a set of manufacturer refurbished GX600C for $59 shipped on ebay. That includes tweets, mids, passives, and the included mounting gear that comes with the set. Used them a few times for others. Good deal for the money.

Man & Machine... Power Extreme!

·
Registered
6,592 Posts
Are silver flutes still being made? If so that should be on your list.

woops never mind :) Go to parts express and buy anything in your budget. :)

·
Premium Member
9,114 Posts
  1. This is dumb.
  2. Your stock system will sound better.
  3. You can fit 8s in your doors.
  4. Dynalab V22-DR-0003 from Parts Express.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
  1. This is dumb.
  2. Your stock system will sound better.
  3. You can fit 8s in your doors.
  4. Dynalab V22-DR-0003 from Parts Express.
The stock door speakers are basically like 25w and can't handle any sort of kick drums at higher volume without being crossed over super high. The stock tweeters are actually not terrible since I've ran power to them. I thought I'd definitely need to change those because they would always clip really bad, but apparently that was from the lack of head unit it power. If I can find an adapter for those 8's I'll consider going with those.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
You've had some good recommendations.

But honestly, if you're not going to seal the doors, I wouldn't bother trying to upgrade your speakers.

ANY midwoofer that you decide to put in the doors (whether it's cheap or expensive) will sound far from it's best unless you do some work to Seal the door openings, create a SOLID mounting baffle that is also sealed, and optimize the door "enclosure" for the midwoofers so it is as non-resonant as possible.

I say this especially since you mentioned the lack of impact in kick drums. You are not going to get that with ANY midwoofer unless you optimize its mounting location and environment. I honestly would spend your money there first. Achieving good sound is about optimizing the ACOUSTICS.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I have to agree with others. I am all for being cheap but at 40 dollars total and no door treatment, I not sure if it really worth the effort. I would look on Amazon or ebay and try to find a comp set from 50 to 100 bucks rather then try to piece together a set from 6 dollars midbass. Unless you are doing some type of competition to see who can have the cheapest active system, I would probably spend a few more bucks. I hate to see you source drivers, take off door panels, do an install and have sound just slightly better than stock

1 - 12 of 12 Posts