DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2015 Dodge Charger. The stereo system is an integrated PITA. I would like to add an aftermarket system. Due to the head units integration with the CAN bus I cannot replace it for a better unit. I am looking for a bluetooth adapter that has 4 rca outputs. Is there such a thing? If I can find one, my plan it's too install a 5 or 6 channel amp. I would like to bypass the current installed system.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Not a bluetooth unit but i think the Pac amp pro is an interface for the factory stereo that let's you add aftermarket amplifiers while keeping factory head unit

·
Registered
519 Posts
Why do you need four outputs? Just use splitters on the left and right, chances are being Bluetooth you won’t get a fader, helix dsp with bt hec is pretty decent and a director to allow sub level and volume control

·
Registered
374 Posts
As stated above, you want a PAC AmpPro4 - it gives you RCA outputs for the stock head-unit while also providing a nice flat signal and keeping all other factory "stuff" intact (chimes, navigation voices, etc). You can even add TOSLink outputs to it.

Another, much less expensive option is a RockFord Fosgate DSR-1 - it provides the OEM-integration like the PAC unit, but also has a full-featured DSP built-in (including 31-band-per-channel parametric EQ). It's not what I would call a "top of the line" DSP like a Helix, but for the ~$250 pricetag of the DSR-1, it's a fantastic option if you are not looking to spend a lot (if you only options are a PAC with no DSP or a DSR-1, I'd go the DSR-1 route without question). If you are willing to buy an external DSP like a Helix, etc, then the PAC is the way to go.

I have a 2018 Challenger so I'm talking from experience. I originally had a DSR-1 and later upgraded to a PAC/Helix DSP combo instead - so I've tried both ways.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Why do you need four outputs? Just use splitters on the left and right, chances are being Bluetooth you won’t get a fader, helix dsp with bt hec is pretty decent and a director to allow sub level and volume control
I need 4 outputs because my 6 channel amp requires minimum of 4.

The AmpPRO looks to be exactly what I am looking for. Thanks.

One concern though. Some reviews I've seen state it only works with the Alpine system. I have the bare bones stock head unit. Is it going to still work?

·
Registered
374 Posts
I need 4 outputs because my 6 channel amp requires minimum of 4.

The AmpPRO looks to be exactly what I am looking for. Thanks.

One concern though. Some reviews I've seen state it only works with the Alpine system. I have the bare bones stock head unit. Is it going to still work?
They just released an updated version that works for non-amplified Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler systems as well (the r.2 version):

Now compatible in non-amplified systems!

That should work perfectly for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So in looking over the AmpPro literature, it specifically says it only works four 7" or 8" units except the 5" Wrangler unit is also supported. So it looks like a no go. I've got an email into the company. Hopefully they have a solution that isn't going to cost me $1200-$1500.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Ah.... So you have the 5" screen in your Challenger? Wasn't aware of that (or the fact that the screen size was even a factor in regards to the AmpPro being compatible or not). Please do let us know what the company says.

Unfortunately, as I'm sure you are aware, upgrading to an 8.4" screen is NOT cheap. Every once in a while, one will pop up on Ebay for $500 or less, but I've found that companies snag those up VERY quickly in order to resell them for $900+.

Even the RF DSR-1 won't work with a non-amplified system (which is strange since you completely disconnect the stock amp with the DSR-1 anyway - but I guess the radio is also different in the non-amplified systems).

Damn - can't think of any "easy" / "inexpensive" way out for you at that moment...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Before you give up on the Amp Pro, call PAC. AAMP Global has one of the best customer service departments in the business. These guys work with installers every day so they know the issues, etc. 727-592-5991

·
Registered
11,959 Posts
I just throw the Dayton 408 in there. its has BT AptX plus 4rca inputs and 8rca outputs. add that it is a whole DSP as a bonus :p

its only $150 too. had one for nearly 2 years and no complaints.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I just throw the Dayton 408 in there. its has BT AptX plus 4rca inputs and 8rca outputs. add that it is a whole DSP as a bonus

its only $150 too. had one for nearly 2 years and no complaints.
The problem is that he has no way to get a flat signal from the headunit. He'd have to cut factory wires without something like the AmpPro4 - and then would probably have to deal with summing, undoing any factory EQ, factory bass roll-off, OEM-integration for things like voice-recognition, chimes, nav, etc, etc, etc... The PAC AmpPro takes care of all of that.

·
Registered
11,959 Posts
The problem is that he has no way to get a flat signal from the headunit. He'd have to cut factory wires without something like the AmpPro4 - and then would probably have to deal with summing, undoing any factory EQ, factory bass roll-off, OEM-integration for things like voice-recognition, chimes, nav, etc, etc, etc... The PAC AmpPro takes care of all of that.
I thought he was looking to not use the stock HU. otherwise an BT module with 4 RCA outputs wont work. stock radios dont have BT output for audio, only input. (like playing audio from your phone.)

with the D408 you can use your phone or DAP as the source.

you can kinda sum with the 408 as well, as long as you can get a full range signal from from only 4 inputs. (two right and two left) you just use the mixer to sum them together.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One solution suggested to me was the DS18 V5HL. That involves running wires from each speaker to high level inputs and then back to the speakers with more wires. Also RCA cables to the amps. Need to install resistors across the speaker wires to trick the CAN BUS that the speakers are still attached properly. Huge PITA.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was able to get a RA3 unit for $300. Got the unlock code for $10. Works great. I'll just use the Amppro adapter at a later date. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Dang, saw this too late but a Maestro CH3 will allow you to install a nice double din and keep all the factory Uconnect Stu as long as the head unit is Maestro compatible. I’m using Maestro for a Kenwood in my 2015 Grand Cherokee. Pretty much the same radio.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts