DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for some component 6.5" speakers. These will be going in a Mini Cooper. I will be installing a XR900-5 to power these and I already have a Alpine CDE-153BT installed. I will be installing damplifier pro at the same time as the speakers. I will be using 2 of the 5 outs to power these.

I was hoping to stay under 200.00 if possible.

Thanks

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Active filtering or passive?

Well I was not sure what that was, learning as I go, so I did some reading. From what I understand in an active system each component would have to be amplified. So that means I would run one channel, from the amp, to the woofer and then another channel from the amp to the tweeter, with the crossover in between each run?

Also, I was reading that usually in an active system the amp should match the speakers?

Would it be more beneficial to bridge the 2 channels and run passive? Or to just go with an active system? I was also reading that in a passive system you can lose up to 30% of your power through the passive crossover so an active system may be the way to go.

What are your thoughts on how to approach this.

Thanks for your knowledge,
qualm

· Registered
442 Posts
In an "active" set, you do not use the cross-over that came with the speaker set. You have to utilize bandpass filters on your amp, or HU. Otherwise, you had it correct: each speakers is run off it's own channel on the amp.

· Registered
31 Posts
I am looking for some component 6.5" speakers. These will be going in a Mini Cooper. I will be installing a XR900-5 to power these and I already have a Alpine CDE-153BT installed. I will be installing damplifier pro at the same time as the speakers. I will be using 2 of the 5 outs to power these.

I was hoping to stay under 200.00 if possible.

Thanks
In my opinion, if you are after sound quality at $200 your best bet is in this forums classifieds. You can find some really decent deals. If you would rather go with new at under $200 you can find Polk Audio db6501 $150, Focal R-165S2 $170 or Helix Blue B62C $170 on Crutchfield's. Also look at RE Audio I believe they have some good sounding components in that price range.

Good Luck..

· Premium Member
251 Posts
Hi there,

If you decide to go the component route, I have a set of Hybrid Audio Technologies Unity U61-2 6.5 speakers. And I am just across the river in Portland, too. Like New in Original box.

I was going to be listing them this week on the for sale forum. But they will be a bit over your target price.

Definitely check the forum for some great stuff at great prices. And don't ever be afraid to ask questions.

Lots a great people around the forum to help!

zinophile

· Registered
126 Posts
JBL P660C 6.5" Power Series Component Speakers System

Excellent price on a solid set. One of the best values in this price range. With the Mini, you will need a component set that can play higher volumes without distortion. The JBL Power series is a well-rounded set that is surprisingly accurate.

The JBL MS62C has the potential for greater resolution/detail (with the right install), but has more limited power handling and is unfortunately discontinued.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi there,

If you decide to go the component route, I have a set of Hybrid Audio Technologies Unity U61-2 6.5 speakers. And I am just across the river in Portland, too. Like New in Original box.

I was going to be listing them this week on the for sale forum. But they will be a bit over your target price.

Definitely check the forum for some great stuff at great prices. And don't ever be afraid to ask questions.

Lots a great people around the forum to help!

zinophile
Would you PM me a price?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.