DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of the comps I've auditioned so far, my favorites have been the Morel Hybrid Ovation II, but they are above my price range. Others that I've auditioned include Morel Maximos and Dotech Ovations (not the Tempos), Alpine Type R and Type X PRO, Boston SR, Infinity 6030cs and Kappa Perfects, and Polk MM.

I'd getting the 6.5 or 6.75 size, 2 way, and matching the speakers to an Alpine PDX F6 amp. My sub is a JL 10W6 powered by an Alpine PDX M6. Also, my factory woofer location only allows for 2.6" depth, although I imagine that I could get a little extra depth by adding spacers (I don't think I can make 3" fit, unfortunately).

I am sensitive to a tweeter that is bright. While I like detail, I'm willing to sacrifice a little to get the brightness under control. What I liked out the HO2 was that it appeared to do exactly this, but it still retained a fair amount of detail. I like the woofers to sound rich but not muddy. Of the speakers listed above, my runner up was the Polk MM (woofer, not the tweeter). I'd probably be happy with the MM if I replaced the tweeter with something else. Of course I intend to deaden the doors.

If anyone has suggestions for comps that have the sound I'm looking for and are in my price range, I'd love to hear. (Bonus if the woofers are 2.6" deep or less.)

·
Registered
216 Posts
In that price range i like the Image Dynamics CXS and XS (if you can get them for that price). I think they both use the same tweet and passive x-overs. The CXS will give u more midbass but the XS will give you a overall better coverage of freqs (in case u wanna go active later). Both sound damn good but the added mid bass of the CXS is nice if thats what your into.

I also like the Hybrid Clarus line. Very nice sounding set. No short comings. Just good all around sound at its price point. A good thing about Hybrid is that u can always trade up at a later date if you dont have the money for the top of the line gear right now. Very nice option to have!!

·
2,103 Posts
I'd say Rainbow SLC 265.25 NG. These are my first choice for my customers in this price range. Very adjustable and fun to play with.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Sonicelectronix has JL Audio C5s for $289 right now. One could always audition them at a local dealer, and then ask to match sonic's price. There is nothing wrong with a little of haggling.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Which Focals are good in this price range? I got the idea that V30 is the one to buy.. what about VB/VR models? Sometimes there are killer sales on those.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey everyone, thanks for all of the suggestions! I'll do my best to audition as many of these as I can.

One thing I discovered looking around on Subaru forums is that the deepest speaker anyone has managed to stuff in the factory location of my model/year without cutting out the grilles is 2.92". I'm not 100% opposed to cutting out my grilles, but I do value a stealthy look, and that isn't stealthy.

I mention this because several of the speakers suggested are 3"+, including the ID XS and CTX and the HAT Clarus. However the ID CTX and the HAT Unity are 2.75 and 2.7 respectively, so they'd fit without any grille surgery. Are they big steps down from their respective siblings?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Hat unity uses the imagine mid with clarus tweet i think, sounds like a good option. What did you not like about the type x pros? The JL C3 has reviewed pretty well too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hat unity uses the imagine mid with clarus tweet i think, sounds like a good option. What did you not like about the type x pros? The JL C3 has reviewed pretty well too.
I went into my audition really wanting to like the Alpine Type X. I went back and forth between them and the Ovations, and relative to the Ovations, they sounded sterile (opposite of warm coloration). They had a touch more detail than the Ovations I thought, but on classical and jazz the detail bordered on harshness. I did think that they outperformed the Ovations on rock, possibly because studios tend to mix rock to be warm to begin with. But I listen to a lot more jazz and blues than I do rock. I'm sure that I could adjust the tweeter on the Type X to get them under control, but overall I just liked the tone of the Ovations more, particularly the Hybrid Ovation. It was richer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just wanted to thank Scott at Hybrid Audio publicly for emailing me unsolicited after I visited the Hybrid website and queried the list for authorized dealers in my area (query requires giving an email address). He introduced himself and asked if I had any questions he could answer, which blew me away.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It looks like there aren't any Rainbow dealers near San Francisco. Anyone out there in the Bay Area have Rainbow SLCs and willing to let me audition them?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You decide on anything yet? Looking forward to what you pick and how you like them in your install
Yes I did! After auditioning several of the comps mentioned in this thread, I decided on HAT Unity 6 for my front and Imagine 6 for the rears. The price was right, and I loved the tone and definition. I placed the order Wednesday night, so hopefully they'll arrive some time next week and I'll install them over the weekend.

I offer my sincere thanks to all of you for your suggestions, and especially those of you who PMed me with purchase opportunities. I had a lot of fun auditioning, and I'm happy with the purchase. My only regret was that I couldn't find a Rainbow dealer in my area, so I didn't get to audition them. Re Focal, I auditioned the CVX series, not the V30/VR series. (The latter was over my price point anyways, so its unlikely I'd have bought them.)

If anyone wants to continue to discuss comps in this price range, please feel free to reply to this thread. However as far as informing my purchase decision, you can consider the thread closed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You decide on anything yet? Looking forward to what you pick and how you like them in your install
Yes I did! After auditioning several of the comps mentioned in this thread, I decided on HAT Unity 6 for my front and Imagine 6 for the rears. The price was right, and I loved the tone and definition. I placed the order Wednesday night, so hopefully they'll arrive some time next week and I'll install them over the weekend.

I offer my sincere thanks to all of you for your suggestions, and especially those of you who PMed me with purchase opportunities. I had a lot of fun auditioning, and I'm happy with the purchase. My only regret was that I couldn't find a Rainbow dealer in my area, so I didn't get to audition them. Re Focal, I auditioned the CVX series, not the V30/VR series. (The latter was over my price point anyways, so its unlikely I'd have bought them.)

If anyone wants to continue to discuss comps in this price range, please feel free to reply to this thread. However as far as informing my purchase decision, you can consider the thread closed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts